NGD!! Wheeee!! I've been mauled by a Jaguar..

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

araT
Tiny Terror

NGD!! Wheeee!! I've been mauled by a Jaguar..

Post by araT » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 am

WEW! Forgive me Jetty fathers, for I have sinned! I've been mauled by a sexy sexy Jaguar!

I know I've been saying that I'm trying to shed gear, and I've been doing so pretty successfully the last year or so, I've gone from 18 guitars down to 12 (Even the Les Paul Deluxe 30th Anniversary is gone now!), the last guitar I bought was my Dyna Jet.. nearly 2 years ago now.

Well today I took a step in the wrong direction, I've bought a MIJ Fender Jaguar Classic '66RI Limited Edition in Candy Apple red.. I've GASsed after one for a long LONG time & I finally found one I instantly fell in love with at a price I couldn't say no to ...

Image - Image
(click to enlarge)

To repent for my sins I've put my Gibson Robot on the market a little sooner than I had planned to - now I resolve to have it sold before I leave Australia... maybe... If I get a decent price.

Onto the review:

I had a lot of apprehensions about the hardware & electronics thanks to fellow MIJ Jag owners trying to put the fear of the gods into me, but I can safely say that Japan came through on this one - it is a limited edition top-shelf version though, which the price reflected.. and maybe that plays into it.

The pickups are wonderful, they're full & beefy on the rhythm circuit, and really cut through the mix nicely on the treble circuit, I'm loving all the tones I'm able to pull out of it with my Dual Terror, and after spending some quality time with it I'm happy to say the pickups will be staying unless/until I hear something REALLY EXCEPTIONAL worth swapping to.

It's absolutely dead silent when plugged in & without touching strings/hardware, which really surprised me, I was expecting to have to do some tinkering in there to take care of the typical single coil hum.

With a good setup, the bridge doesn't rattle at all, and I'm having no issues with the strings jumping out of their slots (both "common" problems), Jags are amongst the hardest guitars to get a GOOD setup on, but once you do they play fantastic just the way they are.. I won't be needing to cough up $200 for a mastery bridge like I feared, and there's no way I'm putting a buzz-stop on as I hear they do more bad than good.

The playability is amazing, I have the action incredibly low with no buzzes, and it all-but plays itself.

What can I say, I'm SERIOUSLY impressed
Last edited by araT on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Re: NGD!! Wheeee!! I've been mauled by a Jaguar..

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:15 am

i'm looking at getting a CAR jazzmaster (with matching headstock) - i regret selling my jazzy - and want another one
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:40 am

You only have 13 guitars :shock: ? I don't feel so bad now. Nice Jag!

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:59 am

Aah! That thing is niiiiiice! As someone who used to spend a lot of time on the Ultimate-Guitar forums, let me just say that it is a huge pleasure to see a NGD with a Jaguar that does NOT have humbuckers. What a waste of a Jaguar, putting humbuckers in it. Yours is gorgeous, and I am insanely jealous!
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:30 am

Awesome guitar! I love offsets, and those block inlays are sexy. Also, you are way better at naming threads than I.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:01 am

Those MIJ big block Jaguars and Jazzmasters are awesome. I like them better than the USA ones when I was shopping around last year. Congrats!

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 am

Awesome guitar, block inlays on offsets are sweet looking. I have to say it was a step in the right direction... ;)

araT
Tiny Terror

Post by araT » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks guys! definitely feeling the offset love here :mrgreen: you've all got excellent taste! :lol:

Van Cleef: Good luck on your jazzmaster quest! Can't wait to see pics when you get it :)

Randy: Hahahaha!! down from 18!!! I sold a bunch this year, I'm going for quality not quantity now and besides, I need to slim down for the move to Berlin, though once I'm there I suspect the numbers will start climbing again.. :oops: What's your current tally? you can't shock me, I know a guy here in Sydney who has ~300 or so.

ScottyDanger: Thanks! :mrgreen: I totally agree, those HH Jags are a joke, the factory-equipped versions look more like Jazzmasters anyway!

misterMagoo: Thanks! :D I fell in love with those big blocks, that's what sealed the deal! (as for naming threads, it's proof I spend FAR too much time on forums! hahaha)

baytamusic: I agree 100%, I've played a bunch of US ones in my quest for Jag-dom and none of them ever really spoke to me, not the vintage ones (not for their prices, anyway) and not the modern RIs either, this one outplays them all in my opinion, and looks SO MUCH sexier! :D

indianDYsummer: Thanks! I thought so too :)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 am

araT wrote:...What's your current tally? you can't shock me, I know a guy here in Sydney who has ~300 or so...
I'm pretty sure it's at 12 for electrics, but more quantity than quality. I'm slowly trying to move towards fewer and better, but I really like cheap guitars for some reason. The sad thing is that I have more amps than guitars.

araT
Tiny Terror

Post by araT » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:00 am

Randy Bass wrote:
araT wrote:...What's your current tally? you can't shock me, I know a guy here in Sydney who has ~300 or so...
I'm pretty sure it's at 12 for electrics, but more quantity than quality. I'm slowly trying to move towards fewer and better, but I really like cheap guitars for some reason. The sad thing is that I have more amps than guitars.
Oh, that's not too bad! I was expecting to hear ~80! hahahaha :mrgreen:
Cheapo guitars are fine as long as you feel they play well, and if you mod the crap out of them most usually do!

More amps than guitars? *drool* man, that's a luxury I'd never even be able to dream of, I simply don't have the space - though I'd love to have 2 decent amps, one for in my studio, and one for out here in the living room.. it's not that much of a hassle to move the DT around though, so I can't convince myself to pony up the cash (that may change once I'm in Berlin - those Rocker 30s are tasty!)

If you're curious here's a link to my mate Ajay's collection - he's around ~300, but that number is constantly going up :shock: It's all mostly Fender Telecasters, but there are a few other Fenders & even a few other brands in there.. he scares the heck outta me... whenever I go up to see him I feel like I've walked into a Fender factory, he has more guitars than most stores here!! - http://forum.fendertalk.com/showthread. ... and-Pieces.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 pm

araT wrote:If you're curious here's a link to my mate Ajay's collection - he's around ~300, but that number is constantly going up :shock: It's all mostly Fender Telecasters, but there are a few other Fenders & even a few other brands in there.. he scares the heck outta me... whenever I go up to see him I feel like I've walked into a Fender factory, he has more guitars than most stores here!! - http://forum.fendertalk.com/showthread. ... and-Pieces.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:50 pm

I see that guy on TGP all the time. He seems pretty nice too. Always helpful.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

araT
Tiny Terror

Post by araT » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:53 am

chinese fork tie wrote:Image
Inorite? that's what I said the first time I went up to his place.. I nearly fell over! :lol:
brianr0131 wrote:I see that guy on TGP all the time. He seems pretty nice too. Always helpful.
Yeah, Ajay's a legend - I met him on a forum, went up to buy my '89 MIJ '72RI Custom from him, and have caught up with him a few times over the years since, he's a lovely chilled out guy, but his collection seriously scares me, that's some unchecked GAS problems right there! :mrgreen:

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:10 am

araT wrote:If you're curious here's a link to my mate Ajay's collection - he's around ~300, but that number is constantly going up :shock: It's all mostly Fender Telecasters, but there are a few other Fenders & even a few other brands in there.. he scares the heck outta me... whenever I go up to see him I feel like I've walked into a Fender factory, he has more guitars than most stores here!! - http://forum.fendertalk.com/showthread. ... and-Pieces.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Soooo... Who does all the maintenance on all these guitars?

I struggle to keep the rust off of four guitars!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

araT
Tiny Terror

Post by araT » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 am

David Verb wrote:Soooo... Who does all the maintenance on all these guitars?

I struggle to keep the rust off of four guitars!
I've done a bit of work for him (I'm a tech - http://www.rockinrepairs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but I imagine he does most of it himself, I'd love/hate to be responsible for all ~300 :lol: