Bands that have jumped the shark.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

merlhagstrom
Orange Hero

Re: Bands that have jumped the shark.

Post by merlhagstrom » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Riverboat Gamblers
Old http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQub9cV4STM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

new http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUow7hswDc&feature=fvw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seen them several times, they were so out of control, then they got the contract ....

Before the cash--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51O55BGJS4I&feature=fvw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy New Year Texas Style (pistols not fireworks :))
THUNDERVERBER FOR LIFE

Dign'my new TT Still the best bang --EVER

No Pedals

Former Marshall addict..

http://www.myspace.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1239257924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://soundcloud.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:Yeah the two after safety were awesome. Anything after I haven't heard
i agree. i started listening to safety, picked up the changing of times and really liked that, in a different way. safety was...ok. it was good, but the next two were just stellar. i love lost in the sound of separation. it's amazing. haven't picked up the new one.

i'm ok with some bands changing members...sometimes that's good for the band and not always they're "shark" moment. it can be about them growing and changing and that's good. if it works, of course.

my entry: paramore. i'm not a fan. i liked they're first album...anything after them getting famous just gets annoying to me. sorry.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:36 pm

Nork wrote:
my entry: paramore. i'm not a fan. i liked they're first album...anything after them getting famous just gets annoying to me. sorry.
I think Hailey is cute as hell, I enjoy when paramore is on TV, but I'm thankful for a mute button.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Heartsndspades
Orange Master

Post by Heartsndspades » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:36 am

define the great line is my favorite by them.. catchy, raw, a good deep scream, and well mixed.

Nork wrote:
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:Yeah the two after safety were awesome. Anything after I haven't heard
i agree. i started listening to safety, picked up the changing of times and really liked that, in a different way. safety was...ok. it was good, but the next two were just stellar. i love lost in the sound of separation. it's amazing. haven't picked up the new one.

i'm ok with some bands changing members...sometimes that's good for the band and not always they're "shark" moment. it can be about them growing and changing and that's good. if it works, of course.

Bass: orange-ad200b, obc4x10, obc1x15/ ampeg b-15/ fender Jazz/ 74' gibson grabber/ peterson stobeostomp/ ehx deluxe memory man/ malekko b:assmaster/ voodoo labs pedal power 2+/ monster bass cables
Guitar: Fender 69' Tele Thinline/ Ampeg B-15
*korey*

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Bandeapart wrote:Did someone say Misfits - post Danzig? Oh wait, I did.
With the Misfits, there's Static Age, then the rest. :) At least for me.

I think most bands that are around more than about five years jump the shark at some point, even if they recover afterwards. I think it's a testament of how hard it is to please your fans. If you don't change a little bit, you get stale, and if you change too much, you "jump the shark." For me, a prime example is Cave In. I know a lot of fans would say Jupiter jumped the shark, but honestly it is my favorite album by them, so go figure.

It's also tough to categorize it. For instance, look at a guy like Elvis Costello. I could argue that he has jumped the shark multiple times in his career, but at the same time I could argue that he's a great musician who was just experimenting with different influences and sounds, even if I didn't like all of it...
- Nathan

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:11 pm

nguideau wrote:

I think most bands that are around more than about five years jump the shark at some point, even if they recover afterwards. I think it's a testament of how hard it is to please your fans. If you don't change a little bit, you get stale, and if you change too much, you "jump the shark." For me, a prime example is Cave In. I know a lot of fans would say Jupiter jumped the shark, but honestly it is my favorite album by them, so go figure.

It's also tough to categorize it. For instance, look at a guy like Elvis Costello. I could argue that he has jumped the shark multiple times in his career, but at the same time I could argue that he's a great musician who was just experimenting with different influences and sounds, even if I didn't like all of it...
i thought cave in jumped the shark when they did perfect pitch black. i love their older stuff, and really everything up through antenna. but perfect pitch black didn't work for me. the screamy parts didn't fit with the music at all, it just sounded stilted and awkward. their two latest EPs have been pretty great, though, so maybe they'll get back to what they're good at (sounding like the foo fighters on better drugs).
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:22 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:
nguideau wrote:

i thought cave in jumped the shark when they did perfect pitch black. i love their older stuff, and really everything up through antenna. but perfect pitch black didn't work for me. the screamy parts didn't fit with the music at all, it just sounded stilted and awkward. their two latest EPs have been pretty great, though, so maybe they'll get back to what they're good at (sounding like the foo fighters on better drugs).
I remember when Jupiter came out. It seemed really weird at the time. Quite the genre jump. Not really my thing anymore but I really liked it back then. I actually didn't like them before Jupiter, too heavy for me. btw, I can't believe that was ten years ago. Yikes, I'm getting old.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Yeah, no doubt, it's kinda crazy it was that long ago.

Cave In has jumped the shark and back a few times, I guess you could say. After the demo they did in (I think) '03 with the awesome Dazed and Confused cover, I kind of lost track of them, so I can't say anything for them after that. I thought Jupiter was good because it really showcased Brodsky's unique voice, which to me is a hell of a lot more interesting than the growling they used to do.
- Nathan

rubberchicken

Post by rubberchicken » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:57 am

Man you guys have mentioned most of what i would!

Honourable mentions the Clash's, Cut the Crap! Awful! RHCP i think with stadium arcadium, Kings of Leon are the best example of jumping the shark! Muse- yes! the new one i cant stand.

Monster Magnet definately did after Dopes to Infinity, Orange goblin after Coup De Grace.

The Pink Floyd was interesting, Carrying on after sid maybe not, although they did take a while to get going.

Roxy music Avalon

doomedfuzz
Rocker

Post by doomedfuzz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:20 pm

rubberchicken wrote:Man you guys have mentioned most of what i would!

Honourable mentions the Clash's, Cut the Crap! Awful! RHCP i think with stadium arcadium, Kings of Leon are the best example of jumping the shark! Muse- yes! the new one i cant stand.

Monster Magnet definately did after Dopes to Infinity, Orange goblin after Coup De Grace.

The Pink Floyd was interesting, Carrying on after sid maybe not, although they did take a while to get going.

Roxy music Avalon

Orange Goblin, where do I start! They jumped before Coup De Grace, The Big Black isn't that great really, hell even Time Traveling Blues isn't as strong as Frequencies from Planet Ten (which is a killer debut album). I was initially bummed out with Healing Through Fire (their latest which is now a few years old I believe), but I gave it a few spins a while back and to my surprise, I really enjoyed almost all of it. My tastes have changed in the last couple of years though, I was in more of a traditional doom phase then and now I'm more into stoner rock/classic hard/heavy southern rock and Healing Through Fire fits those styles pretty well.

I don't think Floyd ever jumped the shark. They are strong across the board - its really tough to find a weak album from them, maybe The Final Cut. The Sid era stuff, while not known by most non hardcore fans was just great psychedelic rock, the Waters era was just stellar and a tad wondering early on but not bad, and the Gilmore era was pretty good as well, just not as great as the Waters era stuff.
Brian: Orthodox Fuzz
http://www.reverbnation.com/orthodoxfuzz
Orange RV100/PPC412, Sunn Enforcer/4x12, Gibson LP & Flying V & SG, Epi Sheraton II & LP Custom

rubberchicken

Post by rubberchicken » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:27 am

doomedfuzz wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:Man you guys have mentioned most of what i would!

Roxy music Avalon

Orange Goblin, where do I start! They jumped before Coup De Grace, The Big Black isn't that great really, hell even Time Traveling Blues isn't as strong as Frequencies from Planet Ten (which is a killer debut album). I was initially bummed out with Healing Through Fire (their latest which is now a few years old I believe), but I gave it a few spins a while back and to my surprise, I really enjoyed almost all of it. My tastes have changed in the last couple of years though, I was in more of a traditional doom phase then and now I'm more into stoner rock/classic hard/heavy southern rock and Healing Through Fire fits those styles pretty well.

I don't think Floyd ever jumped the shark. They are strong across the board - its really tough to find a weak album from them, maybe The Final Cut. The Sid era stuff, while not known by most non hardcore fans was just great psychedelic rock, the Waters era was just stellar and a tad wondering early on but not bad, and the Gilmore era was pretty good as well, just not as great as the Waters era stuff.

Frequencies kicked arse! I liked big black but not as much as frequencies. I struggled with healing through fire. The guitar is great but everything else is a bit smeh.

I really struggle with anything by floyd after the wall. Whether it be the Final Cut or the Gilmour stuff.

rubberchicken

Post by rubberchicken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:48 am

So when would you guys say Black Sabbath jumped? I'd say after sabotage but many would say sabbath bloody sabbath.

tbksk8
Tiny Terror

Post by tbksk8 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:02 am

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:Oh and my entry:

Coheed and cambria.

They jumped 5 sharks. Which is sad because DEP's drummer should have kicked them into gear.

I anticipated they'd be posted in here somewhere haha

To me, Coheed and Cambria could do just about ANYTHING (aside from break up) and I'd continue to love them. But of the people I know to do listen to them gripe about No World for Tomorrow, then sing praises to Year of the Black Rainbow or vise-versa. I'll definitely agree those are two points in particular in which their sound changed in particular. But I'd say, they developed their sound more than jumped the shark... But that's an opinion coming from a fanboy... haha
Gibson Explorer
Orange Rocker 30 --> Avatar 4x12 Cab
Marshall JCM900 4100 --> Carvin Cab

Party Clown with a Mustache! <{ }:o})

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:Oh and my entry:

Coheed and cambria.

They jumped 5 sharks. Which is sad because DEP's drummer should have kicked them into gear.
Yeah, I loved Coheeds first two records. They put out Good Apollo one and I could never get into it. I tried hard, but it just bothered me. They have gotten incredibly boring compared to their old days. They just try to hard in my opinion.

On the underoath note. The only album I actually liked by them was Safety. It's an OK album. My main beef with them is every song they write nowadays sounds the same.

Mars Volta is a band that I love and respect, but I feel like they have gotten too caught up in revolutionizing music that they have truly forgotten how to compose great music. I listened to Deloused again the other day and was just in awe. The record is busy, but you can follow it. The rest of their records are just too busy or to abstract.
Monty