Worst tone and guitar masturbation EVER...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

357mag

Re: Worst tone and guitar masturbation EVER...

Post by 357mag » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:20 am

You guys are missing the whole thing. That video was intended to be a short razzle dazzle. That's it. Is it meant to portray their songwriting abilities? Nope. But yet for some queer reason you guys feel like you have to cut down abilities that these guys were not even intending on showing. How do you even know them? You don't. It shows everybody how narrow minded you are. Would you appreciate them judging you based on just a 10 second meeting?

Speed is a part of music like it or not. Scales and arpeggios are musical building blocks just like chords are. You should realize that before dismissing them as trite. Mozart, Beethoven and countless other classical masters have loads of fast passage work in their music. Let me guess... Those guys didn't know what they were doing either right? It doesn't mean you have always play fast cuz you certainly don't. But it is a part of music. And why you don't you try to attain some and see how many years it takes to get there instead of mouthing off about anal 3-chord songwriting?

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:40 am

OU818 wrote:
chinese fork tie wrote:i commented. what's the sound of a hundred douches shredding?
If a douche shreds in the woods, and there is a camera around to film him, does anybody care?
I fixed it for you. :P

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:04 am

there is no recorder on earth that will make your guitar sound that bad. even if it's a piece of duct tape in a tape player.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:47 am

Drdos wrote:
Wendigo wrote:The tone is what makes me want to puke...and the playing style. :roll:
I just want the long flowing Rapunzel hair... :oops:
oh man i was gonna call it my little pony hair. too bad i've got a frizzy jewfro.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 am

let's hear it for the girls ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxBeJNyAqA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:10 am

RickenBangler wrote:let's hear it for the girls ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNxBeJNyAqA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haha mate that´s just terrible...MAN she sucks!

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:36 am

I just crapped in a jar, I achieved better tone.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 am

this is the only shredding youtube video I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geu1P-CxnTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:41 am

357mag wrote:You guys are missing the whole thing. That video was intended to be a short razzle dazzle. That's it. Is it meant to portray their songwriting abilities? Nope. But yet for some queer reason you guys feel like you have to cut down abilities that these guys were not even intending on showing. How do you even know them? You don't. It shows everybody how narrow minded you are. Would you appreciate them judging you based on just a 10 second meeting?

Speed is a part of music like it or not. Scales and arpeggios are musical building blocks just like chords are. You should realize that before dismissing them as trite. Mozart, Beethoven and countless other classical masters have loads of fast passage work in their music. Let me guess... Those guys didn't know what they were doing either right? It doesn't mean you have always play fast cuz you certainly don't. But it is a part of music. And why you don't you try to attain some and see how many years it takes to get there instead of mouthing off about anal 3-chord songwriting?
Mozart sounded good whilst doing it.

I think you are missing what we are criticising here...

The video was the guitar equivalent of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFBr1WA ... re=channel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

TonyTerror

Post by TonyTerror » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 pm

357mag wrote:You guys are missing the whole thing. That video was intended to be a short razzle dazzle. That's it. Is it meant to portray their songwriting abilities? Nope. But yet for some queer reason you guys feel like you have to cut down abilities that these guys were not even intending on showing. How do you even know them? You don't. It shows everybody how narrow minded you are. Would you appreciate them judging you based on just a 10 second meeting?

I'm with you man...
Of course there was some gayness in this vid but at least some players in that video are not only capable of lightning fast shreds but a lot of other stuff too...

And some of these guys would rip most of the people apart who commented here about tone and style in both matters... if you don't mean 'style' as in 'hair style' :wink:
And of course there is envy involved.

Everyone needs to find his way/level. Weak technique (and theory) limits your musical abilities (which doesnt't mean not to make GREAT music) and too much technique often means making more 'heartless' music without focussing on band/song context.
Guess i'm on the 'weak technique' side of the scale...

It's ok not to like this stuff, but talking down on them as if they were crappy loosers is ridiculous.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 pm

OU818 wrote:You're saying that to be tolerant means of all musicians. Well, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Game, set, match.
- Nathan

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:06 pm

I don't think we're missing the point. I think the point of the video is what rubs most of us the wrong way. As you said, the point was to do a short "razzle dazzle" of technical skill. If that's not "guitar masturbation," I don't know what is...

There's nothing wrong with it if these guys like that style and get enjoyment playing that way. That's what guitar is about, finding your own sound and enjoying what you play. Having a band, making a record, being any "good" at it... that's all irrelevant if you aren't having fun, IMO.

Most of us are just saying, A) we don't like this "tone," and B) we don't like these little technical challenges where people try to out-sweep-pick each other. My opinion is that when people do something like this, it's annoying to me because it serves no purpose other than to show off technical skill. It doesn't create something that's pleasant to listen to or anything like that.

But again, that's fine, it just isn't for me and these are my feelings about it.

And I'll raise my hand and say, while I'm certainly not jealous of any of these guys' "tone," and while I'd never play shred-style like that myself, I am jealous of their technical ability. I wish I could move up and down the fingerboard with precision like that, and I wish I had the dexterity to play quickly and cleanly on scales like that.

But to someone else's point, it's kind of tough to even tell just how well these guys are playing, there is so much preamp gain and compression that I'm sure many mistakes are hidden to all but the best ears.
- Nathan

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:24 pm

All I can add to this is that these vids are shot for Guitar World for every issue to have their little challenge. They are probably taken out of context of the songs they were intended for, if they were intended for any at all. Yes, they had skill, yes they had accuracy. Whether they made the kind of music I want to hear or not really has nothing to do with it. They didn't. But the pure fact of the matter is there really wasn't any good sounding tones on there. I think we can all agree on that.

You guys can love em or hate em I don't give two sharts. I'm gonna go have me a newcastle and listen to the big sleep.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Someone mentioned that we were taking this vid out of context. Ok well, here´s one of those guys playing his own tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLUz34iofM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, brilliant songwriting and NOTHING like the betcha cant shredding. :roll:

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Wendigo wrote:Someone mentioned that we were taking this vid out of context. Ok well, here´s one of those guys playing his own tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLUz34iofM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, brilliant songwriting and NOTHING like the betcha cant shredding. :roll:
Oh man, that is ridiculous. Cheese city right there.