Dual Terror Headroom

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

leperclown

Dual Terror Headroom

Post by leperclown » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi all. I recently bought a Dual Terror (I needed something a little lighter and more portable than my JVM410 head for smaller gigs).

First impressions are that it's an amazing amp - large amount of tonal variety, plenty of gain on tap and pretty loud! Many great sounds in such a small box.

I notice however, that that amp starts to overdrive at relatively low volume settings (even on the 30 watt setting). I would like to run a TC Electronic Nova System in front of the Dual Terror, and in this configuration, I would run the DT relatively clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tube brands or types (both pre and power) for squeezing out maximum clean headroom from the Dual Terror?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Re: Dual Terror Headroom

Post by ScottyDanger » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Generally sneaking a 12au7 in the preamp section will clean things up considerably, but I'm not sure which position would be best. What speaker cab are you using? I get great headroom with mine through a 4x12.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:06 pm

If it's more clean volume you're after, you won't have much luck. The DT (like most Oranges) is designed to get dirty in a hurry. They are not ideal as clean pedal platforms. Lower-gain preamp valves will help you with more clean range on the gain knob, but you won't get more clean volume that way. There may be some power valves that would be a slight improvement over the stock Shuguangs, but EL84s are generally going to break up faster than higher-powered octals like EL34s or 6L6s. It's too bad that there isn't a KT variant for EL84 sockets.

ProgRockAbuse

Post by ProgRockAbuse » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:44 pm

So far, i've not had too much problem with clean head room with my DT. crank the volume and use the gain to control the overall volume/grit. i like a slight bit of grain on my clean sound, mainly since getting my DT. at practise, i run it on 15 watts/2 power tubes and this cope fine for clean sounds. suppose it's relative to how loud your band is and do you mike up or not.
Fender Classic Player Baja Tele/Classic Player 60's Strat

Orange Dual Terror
Purple Torres 2x10 Cabinet (vintage 30 & greenback)

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:49 pm

I found with my Dual Terror that the clean is not really dirty but dark. It sounds like its breaking up, but its just not the "clean" we are used to hearing from Marshalls, Boogies, Voxs, Fenders..etc. Its a different kind of clean. :)

But, it gets nice and glassy like a Marshall if your roll the volume down a bit. I'm running the TT channel for clean, 30w, with the volume about half, gain 1/4 up. Tone is around 1:00. On my PRS with in one of the single coil positions (inbetween strat sound) with the volume rolled off a bit it sounds very clean and quacky (which is the way it should sound on this guitar) Neck pickup is round and smooth.

So, get your nova system, but run a volume pedal out front and don't run it full volume all the time. Back it off just a bit and you will get the cleans your looking for.

I'm running a 412 box against a decently loud drummer and 150w of second/lead guitarist and I can still hear myself. Its not as loud as I would like it, but you will be mic'd live anyways.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:29 pm

You can buy "late breakup" power tubes from Doug's Tubes, so you may want to try that out- sort of an expensive experiment but who knows. Try a 12at7 in the preamp too (try V1 and other spots), but I think you'll notice your amp stays cleaner longer on the dial, not not volume wise.

ProgRockAbuse

Post by ProgRockAbuse » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:51 pm

I only have myself to battle with in the band, we're a five piece, but just guitar, bass and drums with two singers. i have noticed that my DT fills the sound, even through my 2x10 cab and does get as harsh as my blues deluxe did cranked. don't miss our old rhythm guitarist, though miss our keyboard player a bit. trying to explain to one of our singers that i can't get my guitar to sound like an 80's synth fest is a tall order sometimes.
Fender Classic Player Baja Tele/Classic Player 60's Strat

Orange Dual Terror
Purple Torres 2x10 Cabinet (vintage 30 & greenback)

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:59 pm

are you going to be using the nova system exclusively for the overdrive? if that's the case, you would be much better off with a different amp. orange's cleans aren't exactly famous. IMO, you'd be much better off with a Vox or a Fender if all you're using it for is clean. but if you are going to use the distortion on the amp, then i would just follow these guys advice and get a volume pedal and set it less than 100%. or, buy a rockerverb 50 if you really want the headroom
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

leperclown

Post by leperclown » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Thank you all for the very helpful thoughts. I originally bought the DT because I got an amazing deal that I couldn't walk past. I was intending to use it as a standalone, but very portable, distorted amp, so it ticks the boxes. I was also hoping to ocasionally use a TC Electronics Nova System, in front of the DT. Sounds like this will be do-able if I kick down on the volume pedal. Forloud gigs, I can run with my JVM410, clean, with the TCENS in front.

Many thanks
Paul

rubberchicken

Post by rubberchicken » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:35 am

I get enough cleans from it by

1) put the gain on zero
2) put the Volume on full ball (there should still be no sound though)
3) Use the gain as a volume knob.

This works for me coz i have the tt channel on clean and its always going to be quieter than my dirty channel and i won't be putting the gain up to high.

It is very dark!

eyrepm

Post by eyrepm » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi, I also have some of the same... questions? about this. Because I have a dual terror too. And I read what you tell us here, and is it really so that I can use 12ax7, 12au7 and 12at7 in the preamp?

Because I have various tubes lying around, and with a Jazzmaster, my tone gets a bit too harsh, like it stings a bit. Because a part of the tone goes so high, so it's too sharp. Sooo I'd like to try some different things with the amp. Or is it the guitar? I'm going to try different guitars soon, anyway. But I have like 5 different 12ax7's around, too.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:44 pm

eyrepm wrote:Hi, I also have some of the same... questions? about this. Because I have a dual terror too. And I read what you tell us here, and is it really so that I can use 12ax7, 12au7 and 12at7 in the preamp?

Because I have various tubes lying around, and with a Jazzmaster, my tone gets a bit too harsh, like it stings a bit. Because a part of the tone goes so high, so it's too sharp. Sooo I'd like to try some different things with the amp. Or is it the guitar? I'm going to try different guitars soon, anyway. But I have like 5 different 12ax7's around, too.
Buy one real deal Mullard ECC83 and put it in the first gain stage and I GUARANTEE your amp's sound will smooth out a ton. These tubes are very useful when your sound is a little too harsh or ice-picky. That's my experience anyways. This is the king daddy of preamp tubes IMO.

stjerky
Rocker

Post by stjerky » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:42 am

I put in late breakup JJ EL84s and 12au7 preamptubes to v3 and v4 (2 furthest from the input jack). Now I get a nice clean out the fat-channel. The TT channel has always been good.

mj_guitardude

Post by mj_guitardude » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:07 pm

I just put an electro-harmonix 12ay7 in V1 and WOW!! The tiny terror channel is now super clean and bouncy, almost fender like, and the fat channel is big and juicy. I feel like I have a new amp and all it cost me was 18.95$ for the 12ay7.

Give it a try!

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 am

Groove tubes has rated sets and quads of el84s get a set of tubes rated at 10 and be amazed at the clean volume you can have.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;