Just put almost all my gear up for sale...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Just put almost all my gear up for sale...

Post by baytamusic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:06 pm

I flipped my lid and put almost all my gear up for sale. I've decided to buy one guitar I really want and two amps and use the rest to pay off some debt. It's kind of liberating feeling. I HATE owing money. I can always buy more stuff. Anyone else ever done this?
Last edited by baytamusic on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nork
Orange Master

Re: Just put almost all my gear up for sale..

Post by Nork » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:08 pm

not quite, but i sold and downsized most of my rig to finance an engagement ring and not have to pay it down. but i hear ya - owing money drives. me. nuts, dude.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Re: Just put almost all my gear up for sale...

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:34 pm

I sold off a lot of stuff before moving across the country, and it was sort of liberating feeling. I still held onto 1 amp, 2 cabs, 2 guitars.

What guitars/amps are you thinking about?

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 pm

I want a Gibson Les Paul Special from the 70s, A blackface Super Reverb, and either an Orange or a Marshall head and cab or I may keep my Ampeg head. I'd probably just start off with a 1960a or b cab because they don't cost jack around here. There's one on CL today for $200. I don't mind the speakers that much.

I have some recording stuff that's worth some cash too that I'm going to sell.

The minute I pay back my debt I'll free up $600/ month so I can definitely buy most of this stuff again if I want without worry. I'm just sick of having the obligation to pay and the stress of always thinking about it.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Sounds like a pretty classic/solid rig. My student loans just kicked in and it's sort of stressing me out, so I know how you feel. It's not that I'm going to have trouble affording to pay them month to month, it's just painful to think about how long I'll be in debt.

I was actually thinking of consolidating my gear a little bit last night, but I need to sell of the excess pickups/speakers I have first, then I'll be able to better assess where I am. Also, I sort of want to buy a matchless head with reverb to bi-amp with my retro 50, haha. That's definitely not going to help with my loans though...

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:02 am

about to sell a ton of gear too. the only thing is i'm waiting for the economy to turn around because my carvin amp (probably my most valuable thing) isn't fetching a ton, even as far as carvins go, which generally have bad resale value. it's definetly a buyers market right now.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:35 am

Almost everything EXCEPT for the Pro Reverb.....right? :mrgreen:
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 am

neonrust wrote:Almost everything EXCEPT for the Pro Reverb.....right? :mrgreen:
No, it's for sale too. :lol: I'd rather have a blackface Super. That'll be the first thing I buy when I clear some stuff. My prices are kinda high right now to feel out if I get any offers.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 am

indianDYsummer wrote:Sounds like a pretty classic/solid rig. My student loans just kicked in and it's sort of stressing me out, so I know how you feel. It's not that I'm going to have trouble affording to pay them month to month, it's just painful to think about how long I'll be in debt.

I was actually thinking of consolidating my gear a little bit last night, but I need to sell of the excess pickups/speakers I have first, then I'll be able to better assess where I am. Also, I sort of want to buy a matchless head with reverb to bi-amp with my retro 50, haha. That's definitely not going to help with my loans though...
Matchless? Yowsers. Those things are sweet but they are just SO expensive. Your setup will be worth more than most people's cars. :)

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:08 am

baytamusic wrote:
indianDYsummer wrote:Sounds like a pretty classic/solid rig. My student loans just kicked in and it's sort of stressing me out, so I know how you feel. It's not that I'm going to have trouble affording to pay them month to month, it's just painful to think about how long I'll be in debt.

Matchless? Yowsers. Those things are sweet but they are just SO expensive. Your setup will be worth more than most people's cars. :)
The car dealer offered me $500 for my car. Apparently my setup is worth about 7-8 of my cars. :lol:
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:26 am

As I add photos to my listings it's like I'm breaking up with a girlfriend... Only maybe kind of worse. I think I have a tear in my eye a little. :cry: Ugh. I don't HAVE to do this... We'll see what happens.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:47 am

Some hoser just offered to make $50/week payments for one of my guitars?! Does he think I'm a bank or something?

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:55 am

I hope you'll keep some of this. The hit you'll take will be too much. Looked at Chitown CL and I see:

Pro Reverb 800
ASAT 380
LP Spec 300
Marshall Cab 750
Class 5 350
Tascam r2r 120
Otari 900

Am I missing any items?

That's 3600 if you get every penny you're asking for. You'll more than likely get 2700-2900 for it all if you sell it within a month or so.

The items you want to buy will likely cost you more than that. So , what debt would you be paying off?

I hate seeing people lose money on gear chasing after new gear. I wish you a lot of luck whatever you decide. I just hate seeing such a good dude take a beating.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 am

baytamusic wrote:Some hoser just offered to make $50/week payments for one of my guitars?! Does he think I'm a bank or something?
Tell him he can have the guitar after he has made all of the payments, provided that he does not miss a week. Piece of cake! What's the worst that could happen :D ?

Selling stuff is no fun. Good luck with it.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 am

brianr0131 wrote:I hope you'll keep some of this. The hit you'll take will be too much. Looked at Chitown CL and I see:

Pro Reverb 800
ASAT 380
LP Spec 300
Marshall Cab 750
Class 5 350
Tascam r2r 120
Otari 900

Am I missing any items?

That's 3600 if you get every penny you're asking for. You'll more than likely get 2700-2900 for it all if you sell it within a month or so.

The items you want to buy will likely cost you more than that. So , what debt would you be paying off?

I hate seeing people lose money on gear chasing after new gear. I wish you a lot of luck whatever you decide. I just hate seeing such a good dude take a beating.
Well, I got a lot of that stuff cheaper than my asking prices and there is some other stuff too. There is maybe a 1000-1500 dollars worth of more stuff. Some is on ebay right now. Honestly I'll come out ahead. I can get the Paul for about $1100 or about $700 if I get a 90s model and the Super for about $1300. My debt is about $3000. I'm actually going to make money to tell you the truth. I'm just sick of paying the bill. It's to my parents but they keep bugging me even though I pay them $600/month. I've already paid them about $7000. I'm feeling it out for now. I'm not in love with anything I have but I don't have to sell it either, so if I don't get what I want for something, it's no biggie. I can afford the payments. FYI I have about $2500 worth of drum equipment also but that's staying.