Would you sell a Rockerverb 50 MkI for this?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

David Verb
Rocker

Re: Would you sell a Rockerverb 50 MkI for this?

Post by David Verb » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:26 pm

I live in Australia. I ditched an opportunity to purchase an original 1950's 100 Watt Plexi Marshall Superbass.

It was selling for AU$2000. I didn't buy it because; there was obvious modifications to the power mains, the pots were scratchy, it was for sale by consignment, they weren't going to budge on the price and they weren't going to offer any warranties.

I walked into the shop 6 months later, and it was still there.

I went for the Rockerverb 100 instead, because it had the dirt channel, and to be honest, it actually sounded a lot better!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:49 am

David Verb wrote:I live in Australia. I ditched an opportunity to purchase an original 1950's 100 Watt Plexi Marshall Superbass.

It was selling for AU$2000. I didn't buy it because; there was obvious modifications to the power mains, the pots were scratchy, it was for sale by consignment, they weren't going to budge on the price and they weren't going to offer any warranties.

I walked into the shop 6 months later, and it was still there.

I went for the Rockerverb 100 instead, because it had the dirt channel, and to be honest, it actually sounded a lot better!
If it was a 1950's Super Bass, it could be worth billions :D ! The RV100 is a far more useful amp to most people, but there probably aren't that many late-sixties Super Basses in Australia to begin with, hence the price.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:54 am

Well I'm off to try it out tomorrow night. As long as it doesn't sound like ass then I'll more than likely be buying it. Got him down to $950 AUD.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

doomedfuzz
Rocker

Post by doomedfuzz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Orphin wrote:
OU818 wrote: I do love my Rockerverb 50 however have been using just the Rocker 30 and neglecting the RV for a few months now. I have always heard that these Marshalls are awesome and can be a bit of a rarity. What do you guys think?
I think you should definitely get it. I've always wondered why people own two amps of the same brand? (We've had that discussion before). With that amp you'll get a wider palette of sounds, and IMO it sounds better than the RV50.

Before you go there, it REALLY depends on what kind of music you are going to play. We've had a couple of Marshalls come through the band before (we go through gear like most people go through underwear) and while they are respectable and sound good, they didn't work for our band. Not enough throatiness to them, not enough kick in the pants to really cut through (which in a two person band has always been my experience with Marshall amps, so mid focused they get buried in the mix) - basically not dark enough. You put them in with a superior amp like an Orange or Matamp and they just won't cut it. The other guitarist had a super bad ass 80s JCM800 and it sounded great but just didn't have the character of his RV100. I did own an RV50 a few years back, and I might prefer a JCM800 over it, but not over and RV100 by a long shot.
Brian: Orthodox Fuzz
http://www.reverbnation.com/orthodoxfuzz
Orange RV100/PPC412, Sunn Enforcer/4x12, Gibson LP & Flying V & SG, Epi Sheraton II & LP Custom

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:40 pm

OU818 wrote:Well I'm off to try it out tomorrow night. As long as it doesn't sound like ass then I'll more than likely be buying it. Got him down to $950 AUD.
If that is a true plexi and not a metal panel that's a steal. Should be hand wired.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:04 pm

baytamusic wrote:
OU818 wrote:Well I'm off to try it out tomorrow night. As long as it doesn't sound like ass then I'll more than likely be buying it. Got him down to $950 AUD.
If that is a true plexi and not a metal panel that's a steal. Should be hand wired.
He said it was a made in 1989 JCM800. Wouldn't that make it a metal face pcb amp?
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:28 pm

misterMagoo wrote:
baytamusic wrote:
He said it was a made in 1989 JCM800. Wouldn't that make it a metal face pcb amp?
Duh, I was thinking David Verb said this. :oops:

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:52 pm

How did it go?
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Nevermind, reading it now! :lol:
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 am

doomedfuzz wrote:
Orphin wrote:
OU818 wrote: I do love my Rockerverb 50 however have been using just the Rocker 30 and neglecting the RV for a few months now. I have always heard that these Marshalls are awesome and can be a bit of a rarity. What do you guys think?
I think you should definitely get it. I've always wondered why people own two amps of the same brand? (We've had that discussion before). With that amp you'll get a wider palette of sounds, and IMO it sounds better than the RV50.

Before you go there, it REALLY depends on what kind of music you are going to play. We've had a couple of Marshalls come through the band before (we go through gear like most people go through underwear) and while they are respectable and sound good, they didn't work for our band. Not enough throatiness to them, not enough kick in the pants to really cut through (which in a two person band has always been my experience with Marshall amps, so mid focused they get buried in the mix) - basically not dark enough. You put them in with a superior amp like an Orange or Matamp and they just won't cut it. The other guitarist had a super bad ass 80s JCM800 and it sounded great but just didn't have the character of his RV100. I did own an RV50 a few years back, and I might prefer a JCM800 over it, but not over and RV100 by a long shot.

It's been my experience that the voicing of the marshall amps actually cut through a mix better than any Orange I've owned or played. they are not as dark and low mid heavy as an orange, or throaty as you say, but the upper mid and the brighter sounding presence of the marshalls makes them cut like a knife....I'm not a marshall vs. orange guy as I own both, but I always felt like the Marshalls cut better in a full band mix..that doesn't imply that I like their tone better
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI