What make Guitar is Josh Homme Playing here? Thanks

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Drdos
Orange Master

What make Guitar is Josh Homme Playing here? Thanks

Post by Drdos » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Not a Motor Ave guitar that I see on their site....ahahaa I love Dave Grohl in this vid! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vince

Action-Hank
Rocker

Re: What make Guitar is Josh Homme Playing here? Thanks

Post by Action-Hank » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:57 pm

I believe it's a Maton. They're an Australian company ( must be the Brody influence :D )

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks Tom! Spot On!

http://www.maton.com.au/electrics/ms500.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vince

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:39 am

Would be more of a Maton MS2000 or BB1200. He has signature series with Maton also. They are awesome guitars. I have been trying to justify spaslhing out on the BB1200JH.

Maton are a Melbourne company that have been making guitars since the 60s. Ben Harper, Michael Franti and Jeff Martin all use Matons as well. The quality and tone are well worth the premium price.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

miggs55

Post by miggs55 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:36 am

When I purchased my last guitar, a white 61 sg reissue, I also looked at a maton. It was a great guitar the maton, probably better playing and sounding than the sg, but I went with the sg just because it was my "dream guitar" for so long. I regret it because it was about the same price which means it was probably a steal for the maton...

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:33 pm

miggs55 wrote:When I purchased my last guitar, a white 61 sg reissue, I also looked at a maton. It was a great guitar the maton, probably better playing and sounding than the sg, but I went with the sg just because it was my "dream guitar" for so long. I regret it because it was about the same price which means it was probably a steal for the maton...

do you really think that the maton was a better playing and sounding guitar than a 61 reissue, or are you just having a G.A.S. attack? I've played many guitars and I think it is hard to top a 61 reissue, especially if you're playing it for the tones it is specifically known. Of course, not everyone loves SG's.

I've also got a custom shop SG Historic, and in my opinion the RI tops it, especially if you factor in the price.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

miggs55

Post by miggs55 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:27 am

ironlung40 wrote:
miggs55 wrote:When I purchased my last guitar, a white 61 sg reissue, I also looked at a maton. It was a great guitar the maton, probably better playing and sounding than the sg, but I went with the sg just because it was my "dream guitar" for so long. I regret it because it was about the same price which means it was probably a steal for the maton...

do you really think that the maton was a better playing and sounding guitar than a 61 reissue, or are you just having a G.A.S. attack? I've played many guitars and I think it is hard to top a 61 reissue, especially if you're playing it for the tones it is specifically known. Of course, not everyone loves SG's.

I've also got a custom shop SG Historic, and in my opinion the RI tops it, especially if you factor in the price.
You've got a good point, it may be G.A.S...cause I do love the my SG. I'm a fan of SGs in general. Have a gothic which was my first quality guitar and great for the price, and am always keeping my eyes open for a Pete Townshend sig SG....that would be a dream guitar too.

But now that I think of it, it may not have been a Maton. I can't remember the make, but I'm sure it was an Australian maker. I was browsing online to find a list of different Aussie makers but didn't see much.

sunshine_killer
Tiny Terror

Post by sunshine_killer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:33 am

I went on a tour of the Maton factory a few years back and got to play a stack of their guitars. Awesome sounding acoustic guitars, I didn't play any of their electrics.

Too bad I can't afford one atm.

rubberchicken

Post by rubberchicken » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:06 am

First time poster!

I am the proud owner of a Maton MS2000dlx and it is awesome! It is my main guitar into my dual terror. It sorta sits between SGs and les pauls tone wise but with its own voice. I was tossing up between this and a 61 reissue SG and i went the other way and am very happy!

The carved maple top is a beauty and the build is amazing. Comes with grover tuners and tonepro bridge. The pickups are Matons and i was originally gonna change them but decided against it after a day as i fell in love. They're coil tapped and the single coil setting is so quiet. Any questions on Matons electrics let me know.

Yeah brodie got him and jesse hughes from eagles of death metal into them. they both have the bb1200 but josh's is a signature one. I have played it and the sustain is amazing! As well as Motor Ave's he likes the Ovation GP, Eastwood now do a 'tribute' model. Interesting guitar. Came into the market in the 80's when shredder guitars where the rage. Its a les paul style guitar but was more expensive. The neck joins on the originals look awesome!!