Where do you download music?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Where do you download music?

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:43 am

misterMagoo wrote:I guess what I'm saying is I want to buy the cow, but only if the milk is good.
I can get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking my head up a cow's ass, but it wouldn't really help me figure out if the milk is any good :lol: . While we're at it, it's morally objectionable to buy cows too. I'm really milking this for all it's worth :lol: .

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:54 am

nguideau wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:You cannot play the latest video games in their entirety prior to making the decision to purchase them. You have to make a decision based on the effectiveness of the marketing of the product, along with word-of-mouth, reviews, etc.
Not true. You can rent them for a couple bucks from your local rental shop, or now that those all seem to be going out of business, via mail services like GameFly...
There was an implied "for free" in there somewhere, I swear it :D . When you pay to rent a game, you are engaging in commerce with the owner of the product, if indirectly, according to terms that they have approved. This wouldn't work so well with CD rentals for obvious reasons unless CDs were as expensive as video games. In any event, the music industry has indeed been the cause of most of these problems. Sony even makes computers, software, optical drives, and blank media with which you can self-distribute their music products.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:58 am

Yeah, I definitely think there's still a difference in depriving sales and stealing physical stuff from the artist. But I do see your point. I seem to go back and forth on this, my main thing that is irritating is that people think that buying an album of your fav artist at WalMart, iTunes, etc is supporting your fav artists. It's not, they barely see any of that money. :(

Go to their shows and buy merch there to support them.

I think I need to go buy some albums I've been wanting for a while now.

GuitaristZ0S0
Orange Hero

Post by GuitaristZ0S0 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:20 pm

flea wrote:With Vuze sometimes you can download whole discographies. It's a cool program. If you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360 you can stream movies you download through your wireless router to them to play on your tv also.
whoa whoa whoa how???
Equip:
2002 PRS CE 24
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Lil Night Train
Marshall 4x12

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:19 pm

GuitaristZ0S0 wrote:
flea wrote:With Vuze sometimes you can download whole discographies. It's a cool program. If you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360 you can stream movies you download through your wireless router to them to play on your tv also.
whoa whoa whoa how???
On the left sidebar in vuze, there is a tab called devices. You click on 360 or PS3 and as long as you're on the same wireless network it will stream. I think your 360 or ps3 has to be on for it to see it. Then just drag the files from the vuze library into the ps3 or 360 icon under vuze to add it to the playlist. Sometimes it has to convert it to another format but most don't IME. From there go into the video player on your system and it should appear under vuze

niangelo
Orange Expert

Post by niangelo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 pm

When I buy a disc or get it off itunes, I always download an archival quality copy, say 320k. I usually go to torrentz.com and use a client like Vuze.
G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow > Vox Volume > Boss TU-2 > Fulltone Fatboost (v.1) > Keeley Fuzz Head > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Boss DD-5 > EHX Pulsar Trem > EHX Holy Grail > Orange AD30HTC > Avatar 2x12

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:25 pm

The way I see it, any artist aside from major icons selling singles in the millions expecting to make money off of mp3 sales these days is dreaming... Limited edition vinyl, publishing deals, merch, and live shows are where the money is at. You're better served giving people your digital music IMO. There is a lot of competition out there.

GuitaristZ0S0
Orange Hero

Post by GuitaristZ0S0 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:09 pm

flea wrote:
GuitaristZ0S0 wrote:
whoa whoa whoa how???
On the left sidebar in vuze, there is a tab called devices. You click on 360 or PS3 and as long as you're on the same wireless network it will stream. I think your 360 or ps3 has to be on for it to see it. Then just drag the files from the vuze library into the ps3 or 360 icon under vuze to add it to the playlist. Sometimes it has to convert it to another format but most don't IME. From there go into the video player on your system and it should appear under vuze

Thank you soo much!
Equip:
2002 PRS CE 24
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Lil Night Train
Marshall 4x12

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:08 am

You guys should all watch the documentary, "I need that record!" They interview many independent artists and record store owners and how all the independent record stores are suffering and dying. I think this is horrible. I love hanging out at record stores and talking music for hours. The shop owners often provide far better relationships and insight than the anonymous user id on some downloading network. You're not screwing the major labels buy not buying a record; you're screwing the artist, you're screwing the label, you're screwing the little shops, and you're screwing yourselves out of a music industry. Go out and support your little shop, buy a record, hold the art, I can't believe we're letting this die. If you really need the music on your iPod, buy an ion USB turntable and convert the audio to an MP3 format or buy the CD.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 am

I do try to buy all of my CDs from my local independent record store, though their inventory is suffering as business dwindles. I'm not looking forward to having to go to Best Buy in the future to buy music, but I've gotta have the tangible stuff.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:25 pm

i mediafire stuff i buy on wax that doesn't come with a download card. other than that, there are plenty of options for checking out a band before you buy without needing to download the album (youtube, myspace (ugh), band/label sites). the death of the independent record store is something i'm fighting tooth and nail by constantly supporting my local, and quite a few shops elsewhere who offer mailorder (ameoba in LA and aquarius in SF are great for finding rare stuff, imports, lots of great shoegaze, black metal, obscure dub compilations, etc).

the truth of the matter still holds that smaller bands make most of their money from shows and merch sales at shows, so even if you're a jerk and don't buy their record, go see the band. buy a t-shirt. even support the label and buy a record at the show. lots of indies are doing great stuff with colored vinyl, ltd release stuff, tour only singles and cool stuff like that.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

feedbacker72

Post by feedbacker72 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Archive.org is a great bootleg site if you are into live recordings of jam/festival bands and the artists give permission for the shows to be uploaded so you can sleep easy knowing you havnt ripped off your favorites bands. For ex. saw the breakfast 10/29 AMAZING set within a day or two it was on the archive ready to download and blow my mind again :mrgreen:

flvinny521

Post by flvinny521 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:05 pm

I will quietly avoid the legal discussion going on in the thread and just answer the question...

For a single track, I will download on Soulseek. For a full album, a private torrent tracker.

I do buy the album if I decide to keep it and go see the bands live as frequently as possible.
Guitars
'08 Edwards LP-92SD
'10 Chapman ML-1 #63 "Anna"
'02 Fender GA-45SCE "Cindy"

Amps/Cabs
'09 Blackstar HT-5
'09 Mather Cabinets Custom 212
'05 Crate V3112

Other
PodXT
PodX3 Live
Zoom GFX-5

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:50 am

Do people actually download music nowadays?
When is USA going to keep up and get Spotify? Poor sods.. :wink:
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:43 am

If it's a band that I like I usually search up the discography on Rapidshare, download it and sort out the crap I don't want. 90% of my music collection is digital but I like having a CD collection for a few bands that i'm a huge fan of, just for the physical copy with the artwork and all the goodies that go with it. Stickers etc. that usually go on my guitar case.

I'm also a big fan of independant Internet Radio like Soma FM and Whisperings.