OT: Guitar Swap... What should I do?!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jonnywoods

OT: Guitar Swap... What should I do?!

Post by jonnywoods » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey everyone!

I need some advice.

I've ended up with the proposition of a classified ad trade for my 1997 American Strat Std. For a 2002 Gibson Les Paul DC Standard (AAA Flame top in a honey burst).

A little background info:

I was given the strat 4 years ago, works great, no major knocks, Original case. - I don't play it. It hangs on the wall, and It's been used in about 4 studio sessions in all the years of having it, and ended up being axed from all those recordings in the end anyway. Its a lovely guitar, plays well and has a great fender spank, but thats exactly the problem, I just can't "get" it. The spank which some people love, I find weedy and thin. Theres this inability for me to be able to have the dynamics I have with my customised Lag Jet Guitars (two humbuckers), due to the strat being great at being delicate, and not able to go any further.

I found a dude, who, looking at his collection, fancies a good single coil guitar, that he can experiment with for bluesy/hendrix sounds, so wants to part with his Gibson for a Fender.

So originally I considered a swap + £'s to adjust it and make it fair, assuming the strat was worth less than his Gibson. Then I took a trip to my most trusted music shop, and was given the advice that the market resale value shows that in some cases, the fender could be worth as much if not a little bit more than the Les Paul, and in all fairness, should be a straight swap.

I look online, and can't find very many DC's going for sale in £'s to give me a good idea if thats accurate. And furthermore, I don't want to insult this good guy's intelligence by maybe being rude and assuming the price is as low as my strat...

What would you guys do? Does it seem fair? Anybody got a Les paul DC?

help!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: OT: Guitar Swap... What should I do?!

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:41 pm

I can't help so much with the valuation comparison, though the DC models are generally under-appreciated and, thus, undervalued on the used market. However, I am in the same boat with respect to not getting on with Strat-style guitars, so I'd jump on the deal assuming the particulars of valuation can be worked out.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:42 pm

From a lot of Les Paul shopping I do know that the Les Paul Doublecuts aren't worth near as much as the regular ones. I'd say it's worth around $950-1100. The Strat is probably going to fetch somewhere around $650-800 I'd guess. This is from a quick ebay search of completed listings.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Start by offering the guitar and $100 and go from there. This way he'll at least understand you see some difference in value in case he was looking for a lot more. That's my best advice. There's probably a $300-400 swing there in most people's eyes. but, selling $1000 items isn't quite as easy as it used to be either.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Personally, I always lowball as much as possible initially even if I'm willing to have the deal end up in the other guy's favor.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Well if you don't like the Strat, may as well get shot of it. Agree the doublecuts don't seem to be quite as en-vogue though.

Do you need another humbuckered guitar? Sounds like you like your Lags. Why not just sell the strat and pocket the cash?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Alan
Orange Hero

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:31 pm

DCs are allright, but the market in the UK is saturated with strats of all flavours at the moment - a straight swap would be to your favour.

Edit: I'm a massive fan of Lag. Haven't bought one of their electrics but every one I've played has been quality for very little cash. I have a Lag Autumn acoustic which has tone for days :)

My local indie shop has one of the French built Jet Master models in. Might go and try that this weekend!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 pm

take that trade. I love Les Paul DC's. ask him to make you an offer as far as cash on top of that deal, and see where that takes you. if anything, you could always trade it for something else.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:40 pm

i always say if you have to convince yourself that you like something, then you don't like it.

a strat that you never use, you aren't going to anytime soon. if you want the DC then do it. if you don't then pass it up
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Do that trade, no doubt. Those guitars are fantastic. I have one and it's always been tough to try and make an argument that one of my other guitars is better. I think they were made to be Gbison's answer to the PRS custom 22's and 24's and whatnot and I think they could definitely give the PRS a run for it's money. They're a much more unique guitar compared to a strat as well, if that matters to you at all. You can always turn around and find another strat some day down the road if you miss it much. Those double cuts aren't made anymore and I don't think are very easy to come by.

Try and play the guitar to make sure it's what you want of course as well. The bridge is a pretty typical ballsy LP tone but it's chambered body makes for a slightly darker and looser tone. The neck pickup is very deep and rich. If you're familiar with the band Brand New, a lot of the tone on Deja Entendu can be attributed to one of these pieces of art. Especially Jaws Theme Swimming. Whole lotta middle position going on in that song.

Try and go straight up on the trade, that'd be a good starting point for you, let him negotiate money out of you before you just offer it up to him.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:29 pm

Agree on even trade. I think the Strat is probably easily worth similar money.

Alan
Orange Hero

Post by Alan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Not over here, Billy. There are people tripping over themselves to sell strats on the big trade forums - the prices are terrible. If you don't decide to trade, then I'd keep it for a fair while yet.

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:16 am

Take the trade, and like everyone has said, Start with even and be willing to go up a bit, but set the price in your head that you won't go above prior to negotiation. You can always sell your guitar later on and buy a DC in the future, and you have already valued the price of your guitar as more than his, so you can always take him to your local shop and have him see for himself the value, but he probabl already knows the value. So there is a good chance he is already convinced he is getting the better end of the deal.
Over here you would definately have to add some cash as the DC would be worth more than the Strat, they seem to hit a value of around $700 for a good condition american strat, you can find them all day long on the local kijiji for that price, and if you are in no rush you can negotiate a better price :) this I know hehehe.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white