OT: Got arrested last night - THE VERDICT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Re: OT: Got arrested last night

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Ok well I've been thinking about this a lot since yesterday. I understand the odds are far against being in my favor. However, my neighbor is a lawyer and me and my father just did work for him on Saturday morning the day of the incident. He said that he wants to meet me tonight to discuss what happened.

Now obviously, a lawyer will want to take the case because he is going to get paid. So I am going to talk to him, and talk to my friend, and decide what I should do.

The reality is, that the easiest thing to do is pay the fines. The trouble is, I don't know what the fines are. It was left blank on the citation because 1) The public drunkenness carries a $0-300 fine and 0-90 sentence based on severity and repeat offense. 2) The open container violation is a city ordinance and our city ordinances are not published online, so at some point today I am going to call the magistrates to find out what the penalty is.

Now, my record is mainly traffic violations, and I had 2 underage drinking fines 6 or 7 years ago. No violent offenses. But I guess you could say I don't have a clean record. I have no reason to believe I will do jail time for this, but I can imagine that they will give me the max fine penalty, because it is to their advantage. I'm guessing the max fines for open container will be no more than for public drunkenness, and so I would imagine $600 max for everything.

While I was mistreated, I don't have any evidence of it, except a little bruising on my wrist from the cuffs, which would probably be dismissed anyway. Thing is, I don't bruise easy, which to me shows the severity of the treatment, but not to the judge. Also, my left thumb is entirely numb which must be some kind of nerve damage.

Going to call about the open container after lunch. I'll let you guys know the fine then.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:27 pm

The lawyer might have you get the numb thumb looked at. It could be the key to dismissal of all charges if there is potential for a police brutality claim.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:37 pm

you will never get jail for anything like this. reckless driving with excessive speed, DUI, assault...things like that, yes. open container and PI, no. i promise. its all scare tactics.

virginia's favorite thing to do was to give you jail, but suspend it. which is retarded.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:05 pm

yeah i know i'm not worried about that. my boss goes to lunch shortly, at which point I'm going to make some phone calls.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:23 pm

...naked.
Monty

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:...naked.
??? How did you know?

Anyway... I just got off the phone with court. They told me the fine for the PD is $237. The Open Container citation didn't come through yet, so no value there. Also, they couldn't tell me the max fine. I'm going to have to call back tomorrow to find out.

Hopefully it's only $100 I'll just pay the damn thing, have a shot and move on with my life.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:19 pm

Maybe after the incident you should just skip the shot. :wink:
- Nathan

basshole
Orange Expert

Post by basshole » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm

nguideau wrote:Maybe after the incident you should just skip the shot. :wink:
No way! His last bender will probably cost him over $300, i think he deserves to get drunk for cheap this once.
Andreas

McCartney - Lynne - Langdon - Sting - Miller - Jenkins - Hendrix

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:59 pm

Randy Bass wrote:The lawyer might have you get the numb thumb looked at. It could be the key to dismissal of all charges if there is potential for a police brutality claim.
Basically, that will get you nowhere. Everyone who gets cuffed has that happen according to a cop friend of mine.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:26 pm

basshole wrote:
No way! His last bender will probably cost him over $300, i think he deserves to get drunk for cheap this once.
I hope you guys realized I was joking.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 pm

nguideau wrote:
baytamusic wrote:Didn't you get arrested a while back?

Also, it's funny here. One time a while ago I was stupidly drinking a beer on the sidewalk by a bar. A cop pulled up and was like "Hey man, you gotta drink that around the corner where I can't see you from this street" haha. People are always drinking beer on the L train here too. Cops just don't care about that kinda stuff here I guess. Big city, too much other crazy shizz going on.

Bummer for you. Don't know what to tell you. Usually it's your word against theirs.
I think while open containers are illegal pretty much everywhere across the country, almost every community also looks the other way if you at least make an effort to conceal it. The old paper bag "laws."

Might be different on the L, but what about the commuter trains? Here in NYC, they have bar cars on the commuter trains...
The commuter trains called The Metra are legal byob. No joke.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 pm

I hope you were kidding. Shots are for the weak. Four fingers neat, please.
Monty

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:30 am

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:I hope you were kidding. Shots are for the weak. Four fingers neat, please.
Scotch or bourbon boy? :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet we'd get along haha.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:43 pm

misterMagoo wrote:
basshole wrote:
I hope you guys realized I was joking.
Of course, so was I.
baytamusic wrote:The commuter trains called The Metra are legal byob. No joke.
Okay, so same deal then. Weird. I guess the subways are probably a little harder to police and have more traffic, that's probably why it's allowed on the commuter rail but not subway.
- Nathan

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Ok just got off the phone. Fine for open container is $117. Fine for PD is $237. $354 is not a gonna kill me, but then again I don't feel that I deserve it either. The $117, sure, but after that whole ordeal, not the $237.

I don't know, my dad seams to be REAL hell bent on fighting it, since he knows how the cops are around here with taking advantage of people. After talking to all you guys yesterday I was kind of just ready to lay over, but after talking with my dad I'm like f*ck the police!!! Haha, but really, I didn't talk to the lawyer yet, hopefully he'll call me back tonight and we'll review, but I'm pretty much on the fence right now.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.