Amps, Guitars, Drums a thing of the past????

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:13 pm

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAllFWSl998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Re: Amps, Guitars, Drums a thing of the past????

Post by ScottyDanger » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Saw that yesterday, totally awesome! Will iPhones replace real instruments? Hell no. I mean, Kraftwerk have been doing that stuff for like 40 years now, but everyone else is still banging on drums. Drum machines and samplers have been around for so long that if they were going to replace real instruments, it would have happened by now.

inb4 rappers steal music. They don't. They pay for the sample they use (with the exception of Vanilla Ice, but he got sued. See how that works?). Hip-Hop requires real, honest, engineering and musical talent to produce (properly). I know this has nothing to do with what you said, but I wanted to tackle this argument before it inevitably starts 5 posts from now.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 pm

ScottyDanger wrote:inb4 rappers steal music. They don't. They pay for the sample they use (with the exception of Vanilla Ice, but he got sued. See how that works?). Hip-Hop requires real, honest, engineering and musical talent to produce (properly). I know this has nothing to do with what you said, but I wanted to tackle this argument before it inevitably starts 5 posts from now.
Not always. I'm a fan of rap (some anyway) and I have to say that some times its great, sometimes its just pile of poop. The idea that sampling music and just speeding it up really gets me, its been overdone is approached pretty lazily half the time. If you want real hip hop check out Common or the Roots.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 pm

misterMagoo wrote:
ScottyDanger wrote:inb4 rappers steal music. They don't. They pay for the sample they use (with the exception of Vanilla Ice, but he got sued. See how that works?). Hip-Hop requires real, honest, engineering and musical talent to produce (properly). I know this has nothing to do with what you said, but I wanted to tackle this argument before it inevitably starts 5 posts from now.
Not always. I'm a fan of rap (some anyway) and I have to say that some times its great, sometimes its just ****. The idea that sampling music and just speeding it up really gets me, its been overdone is approached pretty lazily half the time. If you want real hip hop check out Common or the Roots.
Yeah, that's why I said "properly" haha besides, there's a huge difference between rap and hip-hop, but at the end of the day neither of them are stealing their samples, that was just my point. Some sampling is crap, some of it is rather awesome (numa numa in that Rihanna song, I'll even admit that Flo Rida's use of Right Round was genius in a catchy way). Also, Kanye West is the modern king of sampling. Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irb335ThCdo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

It wouldn't matter to me if they played that song on real instruments: it would still be a generic middle class dweeb tune that nobody will remember 5 minutes after listening to it.

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:01 am

ScottyDanger wrote:
misterMagoo wrote:
Not always. I'm a fan of rap (some anyway) and I have to say that some times its great, sometimes its just ****. The idea that sampling music and just speeding it up really gets me, its been overdone is approached pretty lazily half the time. If you want real hip hop check out Common or the Roots.
Yeah, that's why I said "properly" haha besides, there's a huge difference between rap and hip-hop, but at the end of the day neither of them are stealing their samples, that was just my point. Some sampling is crap, some of it is rather awesome (numa numa in that Rihanna song, I'll even admit that Flo Rida's use of Right Round was genius in a catchy way). Also, Kanye West is the modern king of sampling. Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irb335ThCdo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What I would like to point out... is that sampling just usurps the nostalgia of already well written songs. As a 23 year old, I can identify with music from my parents generation, and new music business capitalises on that.

E.g. dongle-narf Dale - Misirlou VS Black Eyed Peas - Pump It
Gloria Gaynour - I will survive VS feline Cat Dolls - Hush Hush

When is pop culture going to move forward? What are my children going to believe was nostalgic of my generation... David Guetta?

Will they be listening to remixes... of remixes?

P.S. +1 on The Roots

P.P.S. Time for a new thread on pop culture?
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:05 am

ScottyDanger wrote:
misterMagoo wrote:
Properly produced and well written are two different things, IMO. The song could sound great from a producing pov, and still have pile of poop lyrics, and be gimmicky, or just garbage.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:30 am

BTW i just watched the original post vid and was surprised how good the guitar sounded. Haha.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:47 am

My new Hip-Hop single drops next month. It's called "U Can Touch This, But I Wouldn't Recommend It" 8) .

annostyle

Post by annostyle » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:11 am

Scratch the surface and there's lots of good hip hop out there. Mainstream rap is in it's 80's hair metal phase right now. Meaning everything sounds the same, looks the same, predictable, crap. Soon someone will come and blow it all away. Change hip hop altogether.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 pm

misterMagoo wrote:BTW i just watched the original post vid and was surprised how good the guitar sounded. Haha.
I was pretty impressed too. It's crazy what a phone can do today. Apple should make a commercial with that.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:44 pm

No.

Next question... ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
No.

Next question... ;)

Surely you jest.

no wait, surely I jested.

Ahh damn it stop calling people Shirley.

I just thought it would be a good topic on here. I'm surprised it morphed into a sampling/rap debate. It's a video clearly staged to become a youtube sensation kind of thing, but I just found it to be actually pretty cool all things considered.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Do you think it was staged? It looked somewhat real, although the girl may have been an extra :lol: Either that or someone left with her number. The old guy behind them looked like he could care less.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:15 pm

misterMagoo wrote:Do you think it was staged? It looked somewhat real, although the girl may have been an extra :lol: Either that or someone left with her number. The old guy behind them looked like he could care less.
Well it certainly wasn't impromptu as a result of having their instruments stolen LOL that's really what I meant. Don't get me wrong, it's impressive and it's cool. It just doesn't exactly pass the sniff test for me.

That's cool though. Everyone deserves their 15 minutes. Right?