Schecter guitars?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

savage8190
Orange Master

Schecter guitars?

Post by savage8190 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Just wondering if anyone owns one...or if anyone has any opinion's on them from trying them? They're not really readily available around here except for one shop that is VERY out of the way. I'll get down there one of these days to try them out, but I thought they looked pretty nice and are well appointed for the cost. So are they dogs or what? :D

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Re: Schecter guitars?

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:23 pm

They're well put together guitars - a few guys have had them here. I had a 5 string Schecter bass for a bit that I got rid of... the bass was fine, especially for what I paid for it, but I decided I didn't get on with 5 stringers!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 pm

I recently picked up a used semi-hollow schecter (c/sh-1) to use for cleaner, bluesy playing. They're out of production but in general Schecters are known to be pretty well-made, especially for the prices (and particularly if bought used).

Swapped out the duncan designed whatever-they-were for duncan '59s and rewired the whole harness with better caps and cts pots. For about $400, it plays like a $1-1.5k guitar. Until I can afford a $10k Languedoc, this will do.
Steve

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Yeah, I think that's it... swap out the electrics for some nice aftermarket pickups and you've got a good guitar on your hands.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:15 pm

I've been looking at I guess what would be their mid range stuff, and they all seem to have decent pup's in them...EMG's or Duncans mainly. I guess if everything else is solid that would just leave some questionable electronics which is no biggie.

Not gonna pick one up just yet, I'll make the drive to try some out. I'm just shopping around a bit for something reasonably priced to basically only be used for metal. That's the one place my Strat and my Sheraton don't really excel at.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:58 pm

I have a Schecter 4-string bass (004 Elite) and a guitar (006 Deluxe) and had another guitar that I got rid of (S-1). I bought them largely for their looks (shallow, eh?). They are well-built for the price, although usually not perfect. The Duncan Designed pickups are not well respected, but some of it comes down to personal preference. I like them better than most of the standard metal guitar offerings from Ibanez, LTD, Jackson, etc, but they do lack the "soul" of a classic Fender or Gibson design.