WORST tone you've ever heard?!?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

annostyle

WORST tone you've ever heard?!?

Post by annostyle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:35 am

We all praise good tone, but what about bad tone? I have to go with Type O Negative as having the worst guitar tone. Just awful.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: WORST tone you've ever heard?!?

Post by baytamusic » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:37 am

This d-bag at Guitar Center today on the new Egnater pile of poop-tone.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:41 am

for me -

pretty much anything drop-tuned with the mids scooped out of existence, and run through a mesa with heaps of compression....

if the vocalist is screamo-ing over the top of it - that tends to make it even worse :D
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:45 am

all those musicians with their marshall mg's with a lot of gain and crappy untuned guitars.
they sound like a tone snob's nightmare. scooped mids hi gain and ..... it's a nightmare.
try to locate those MG's at your next gig. they are everywhere!

seriously it's not hard to get a useful SOUND of the marshall mg. while many people hate em,
i think you can still get some useful tones. but many people think that more gain means more rock...

but you could give these guys a jcm800 and they still would sound like crap in the ass.
and i agree egnater is crap :mrgreen:
accept darkness.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:49 am

yeah, often it's not the amp. it's the player. i want to make a metal amp and put in a mids knob without the pot attached to give a placebo affect. so when idiots try dialing out the mids, they'll get the same tone :P it would actually do the world a favor too, you know. and them.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:52 am

The sound of children singing is pretty annoying to me :D . If you mean music or amp tones, I would say most of Dimebag Darrell's fast squealy leads had harsh, terrible tone. Apologies to those who don't speak ill of the dead :wink: ! He did a great job with Planet Caravan though.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:10 am

TESLA_EL34 wrote:but you could give these guys a jcm800 and they still would sound like crap in the ass.
What an awesome saying. I'm using that tomorrow.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

bmxbandit
Orange Hero

Post by bmxbandit » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 am

Any tube amp turned down past 3.
http://therestlessdays.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:44 am

Joanna Newsom's singing voice. My kid played her CD, and I thought it was joke (like TIny Tim). Then found out that hideous voice was serious - seriously hideous. Haven't heard a guitar in a while that sounds as bad as that chick sings.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 am

I actually have a recording of Eric Clapton jamming with some other guys (Maybe Jeff Beck and J.J. Cale?). His tone is simply abyssmal....just a pathetic little squeak, almost like they went straight into the mixer with the out of phase second position on his strat.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:41 am

Borderline Productions wrote:Joanna Newsom's singing voice. My kid played her CD, and I thought it was joke (like TIny Tim). Then found out that hideous voice was serious - seriously hideous. Haven't heard a guitar in a while that sounds as bad as that chick sings.
Oh jesus you weren't kidding man :| :shock: :? :( ....never heard of her before....now I'm sorry I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGViUabMt14&feature=fvst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Wendigo wrote:
Borderline Productions wrote:Joanna Newsom's singing voice. My kid played her CD, and I thought it was joke (like TIny Tim). Then found out that hideous voice was serious - seriously hideous. Haven't heard a guitar in a while that sounds as bad as that chick sings.
Oh jesus you weren't kidding man :| :shock: :? :( ....never heard of her before....now I'm sorry I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGViUabMt14&feature=fvst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To be fair, that was an awful recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5Jp_du ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is more bearable. Not a voice I would find myself liking, but better sounding than the link you posted.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:54 pm

newsom: terrible. people actually pay to listen to that?! pile of poop, she makes yoko ono sound not so bad.

a lot of the amps in the 70's sounded like crap. there was a great deal of movement among companies and solid state took over for a while for profit reasons. many of the amps were simply terrible. of these particular amps, when you'd hit the distortion channel, it sounded like rattling tin foil, or like a broken speaker. for those that remember, unless you lived in a large metropolitan area, a tube amp, or good tube amp, was very hard to find in those days, and when you did find one, the price was too high.

carvin made great gains in this period by offering tube amps at affordable prices.

as for a specific example of bad tone, this one will surprise you. stevie ray vaughan did a live show, i think on austin city limits, and he'd switched to the dumble amp. his lead tone sounded like utter crap. it could have been how the sound was finally mixed because i can't imagine srv putting up with stage sound like that. it was over-overdriven with too much pre-amp gain, nothing like the cranked twin or marshall that we'd become accustomed to hearing.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Van Cleef wrote:for me -

pretty much anything drop-tuned with the mids scooped out of existence, and run through a mesa with heaps of compression....

if the vocalist is screamo-ing over the top of it - that tends to make it even worse :D
This.

More in general, you can always tell when someone doesn't know how to dial in their amp. Which is silly, because it isn't hard. I think so many of us think that we'll find this specific spot on each dial that makes the amp sound how we want it. And that is true if your amp never leaves the same room, you always play with the same guitar and pedals, and hell even that the temp./humidity never changes.

But obviously all those things change. So I think it's really just about understanding that and not being afraid to turn the dials till your ears smile, and forget about what you're seeing on the dial.
- Nathan

GuitaristZ0S0
Orange Hero

Post by GuitaristZ0S0 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:44 pm

worst tone goes to.......

EGNATOR TWEAKER

my god i spent a solid hour trying to find a half way decent tone and got nothing!
Terrible distortoin and a strange kind of clean

The rebel 30 combo wasnt a bad amp but man was this TERRIBLE!
Equip:
2002 PRS CE 24
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Lil Night Train
Marshall 4x12