Any VW Golf owners here?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

buzzbomb
Rocker

Re: Any VW Golf owners here?

Post by buzzbomb » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:34 pm

I own a 2004 VW GTI VR6 and I, can and have, fit (with the seat down) my PPC412, TV50 head, some rack equipment and other bits and stands pretty easy. If that helps. And when I say easy I mean it fit, not that it was easy lifting that beast into the back while triing not to scratch the back of the cab.
Tiny Terror and PPC2x12
Thunderverb 50 and PPC4x12 Slant
'93 Gibson LP Studio, '81 Gibson Explorer, Agile 3100
1972 Traynor YGL-Mark 3 Head

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Got a Matamp 2x12 cab, head and guitar, plus other stuff in my classic '66 VW Beetle once, but I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis. Also got 2 lots of guitar, amps, boards etc in my 2000 VW Beetle, fitted quite well but the paint got scratched, so that's definitely not gonna happen again!

If you want a gig mobile, a Volvo is the way to go :D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Hell yeah, this Volvo 240 turbo wagon in TV yellow is the business baby! I wish I had one.
Attachments
volvo.jpg
volvo.jpg (69.96 KiB) Viewed 3531 times

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Volvo Wagons are the official vehicle of the Orange Amps Forum :wink: .

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Post by Dopp238 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:38 pm

I've got a 2007 VW Rabbit 2 door hatchback (which is the same thing as a golf), and with the seats folded down, I can fit these items in my car:

1. Orange 4x12 w/ roadcase
2. Orange AD30 w/ roadcase
3. Les Paul w/ hsc
4. Tele w/ hsc
5. SKB PSM-45 (pedal board)

And I still have room left over on top of that. You can easily fit your entire rig in the back of a 2 door Rabbit. I did my checking before I bought the vehicle to make sure I could fit my rig in there too. So rest assured, you'll be good.
Daniel.

AD30HTC / PPC412 / PPC212 / 92 Les Paul Studio / 07 Fender Tele

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:07 am

Randy Bass wrote:
misterMagoo wrote:Man this thread ran away quick!!!

To be more clear, I don't actually OWN one, but I am considering buying one.
Are you considering buying a Golf or a 4x12 cab? If it's the car, make the seller earn the sale by proving to you that a 4x12 will fit :D ! Otherwise, invest in a tape measure :lol: .
Both, but the golf is the first on my list.
Tango wrote:If you want a gig mobile, a Volvo is the way to go :D
I have a volvo, but it's not really that gig friendly, although I could almost fit all of my gear in it. It looks just like this:
But more beat up. It's just time for a new one.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:18 am

I drive a MKV and a MKIV Jetta. I found I could fit more in the Jetta than the Golf/GTI's that I really wanted....

I slipped a Marshall 412 into my Jettas trunk easily, but I like 2x12 cabs and combos more, so I just haul those around in there. The nice thing about the Golf/Rabbit is that the seats fold down nicer.

The 2.5 is also a bad-ass engine and is pretty fuel efficient for a gasser. That and it's got a timing chain so no $1000 bill after 5y/150,000km. The 4 door Golf/Rabbits also include an armrest upfront and in the back along with rear heat/cooling vents if you ever get kicked back there on a road trip its awesome. Not to mention the pass through in the center seat! I love that thing... perfect for my gibson hardshell cases. :) The 4 doors also get lumbar support and height adjustment on the passenger side.. and nicer interior fabric. The way to go in my opinion. Or just get a GTI and you get all of that PLUS the TSI 2.0T engine which is the best engine in the VW lineup right now.

Or get a Passat CC. That thing hauls EVERYTHING!!!!

If your looking at older VW's and you live somewhere that gets cold around winter time, currently avoid any TDI built before 2006 as VW is no longer able to supply replacement glow plugs and when they tried to replace them with a new version last year... many TDI's didn't start when it got below freezing. If your not looking at a TDI, stay 1999 and up. MKIII's are cool cars, but harder to find parts for right now. MKIV's are pretty wicked and while they do have their quirks, are an easy car to fix/work on and find parts for. Follow this check list

1: Make sure timing belt has been done if the car has more than 150,000km or 5 years on it. These things are important! They will snap without warning or showing signs of cracks. This will cause serious head damage by bending the valves and smashing the injectors into the cylinder head. $1000 of mtc work vs $5000 worth of repairs
2: If timing belt has been done, ask if the tensioner, rollers, and water pump were done too. These items if not replaced will fail within 2 years and 50-75,000km as the bearings/pulleys start to get pulled apart by the tension of the new belt. Its like replacing the E/A/D strings but leaving the other three on.
3: Check for rust. They have a 12 year 100,000km rust warranty, but surface rust and rust caused from rock chips are not covered. Any rust = cancer. Suspect places on golfs are around the rear hatch handle, the windshield frame, and front fenders. Any rust on the lower rockers is definatley not covered and is a prime spot for rusting!
4: 2004+ models use synthetic oil
5: on that note... make sure the guy was using EUROPEAN blend synthetics that are approved by VW. (they will got a VW stamp on the back of the bottle) not using the proper oil will damage the lifters and valves, usually with engine failure around 100,000km. While your at it, make sure its got a VW filter, if not swap it. I've seen the aftermarket filters go right through the engine block because they are not rated for the oil pressure. Volkswagen has never authorized an aftermarket filter for use in these cars. (This advice could be used for any European car....)
6: CV Boots should be checked. if open, walk away. (advice for all cars)
7: If you can buy from a dealer, they will usually be able to give you a 2 year certified warranty from VW. its ALMOST as good as the factory warranty, and is actually supplied by Volkswagen, not a third party company. So if your traveling across Canadian/American borders, your warranty will count. Thrid party warranties are often tie you to the specific dealer. They will tell you that it can be used anywhere, but unless the dealer your take it to deals with that company regularly... your out of luck. I have also had american cars come up where I've called the company that they got a warranty through...but the company no longer exsits.
8: Lower your car before you get wheels if you decide to get aftermarket wheels. Reasoning? For some reason the wheel gap gets huge with aftermarket wheels even if the profiles the same. I had a 7 inch gap when I traded my 18" stock wheels for 18" Scirocco wheels.
9: 2004+ vehicles use a CAN BUS system for electronic system management of the engine, transmission, comfort features...etc. People who like to install aftermarket stereos often tap into the "k-line" which is the same color as the 12v switched power on domestic/japanese cars for the radio system. This is bad...it prevents OBDII engine code readers from communicating with the ECU. I personally made it a rule to only buy VW's with stock radios because of this. Same rule applys for remote starts. Very few installation shops know how to add these items properly. I know of ONE shop in Edmonton thats done it right consistently..
10: I work for Volkswagen. So ask any questions you like. I can also check a car if you send me the VIN so I can tell you what it's warranty and recall history is like.
11: check door electronics (in all doors) I know this sounds trivial. But we have had issues with door wiring harnesses and door latches failing. If the interior lights don't come on when the doors opened up, you might have a problem. Both fixes are worth about $500 at my shop ($250 part, $240 labour).
12: Check the air filter if you can. A dirty filter/engine bay is usually signs of an owner who never took care of their car
13: 2006+ automatic equipped TDI's and 2.0T Jetta/Golf/Eos's were equipped with the bloody amazing DSG (Direct shift gearbox). While a fantastic gearbox and a bloody technical marvel, its expensive to maintain with a service needed on the transmission every 64,000km. Not recomended. NEEDED!!!! I've seen these things fail at 110,00km catastrophically because someone thought the intervals in the mtc book are recomendations. They say its due at this time for a reason... do it. Same thing with spark plugs. (Tranny service is $575 at my shop)
14: For the new cars, VW included regular mtc for 3 years for free. Its a bloody joke and I'm pissed off at them for doing this. Why? Because the mtc. are once a year or 10,000 miles.... and they took out air filters until 2 years or 30,000 miles... wtf? This is bad. Synthetic oil starts to break down at 8,000 miles. Air filters (depending on the environment) are usually clogged within a year or 8,000 miles. Do yourself a favour and get an extra oil change every year. your car will thank you for it with better mileage, smother power delivery, and better reliability in the later years. (VW approved oil and filter only please. make sure the oil is correct for your engine. New TDI's need diff oil than 2.0T's and 2.5's)
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:50 pm

WIRED!!! You're frickkin crazy man!!!

That was really helpful and informative. Thanks a lot! I was having trouble locating golf/rabbits in the area, so I started looking around at other cars as well. I found another car that interests me. The Mazda 3 s hatchback. Sporty, stylish, and within my price range. I haven't been able to test drive one yet but they seem to get really good reviews. If i could only find a checklist like that! I think they started production in 2004, and I could probably afford up to a 2006 with reasonable miles to stick within my goals of not having a payment. I guess I need to start researching them online, but so far there are more available around me than vw's.

Looking at your post, man, whenever I see all these additional costs, i start to get a little nervous. In any case, i appreciate the help!
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:10 pm

additional costs are there for any modern car. Most people don't think about those things when they buy a modern vehicle. Its not like back in the day where oil changes and transmission oil changes could be done with a 5 minute trip to the canadian tire and a 20 minutes in the back yard.

You should always ask a service person for any brand you look at:
Whats the intervals for timing belt, coolant flushes, brake fluid flushes, oil changes, transmission services... etc.
Are things like A/C compressor, master brake cylinder, starter, alternator engine out affairs (the engine has to be removed to replace) because that can add major unessacary costs.

German cars will usually be more expensive. I won't deny that for a second. But compare the two and you will find that the German cars got this magic... they just grab hold of you and get you wanting to drive more. The first day I got my VW I drove it every day for hours! Its the most enjoyable car I've ever owned.

I've owned Mazda RX7 (3 of them), Mazda 323, Mazda 6, Ford Focus ST, Pontiac Sunbird, Pontiac Bonnyville, VW Super Beetle (1973), Jaguar XJ12 (1988), VW Jetta 1.8T 2004, VW Jetta GLI 2008, Chevy S10, '57 Chevy Belair, Mazdaspeed 3. And the VW GLI is not only the most comfortable but the most fun to drive.

A VW is like dating that girl that none of your friends like, is a lil controlling and high mtc... but damn. shes freakin hot!

Mazda 3 with the 2.3L motor is intersting... its got a timing chain so no worries about breaking a belt. But the motor is lifeless. The torque band is increidbly small and it doesn't like to move unless its right in the torque band. Highway mileage is poor (110kph and it eats through the tank in 450km. Thats VERY poor for a 45l tank. My Jetta, with tqwice the power gets 600km on the same ammount of fuel.)
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:54 pm

You raise a valid point. Maybe thats why they are more reasonably priced for the frills that are offered.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 pm

yup, but sometimes thats all you need. :D

My wife won't go back to Ford or Toyota now that she has the MKIV Jetta. She loves it, she wont even let me drive it unless its a necesity. She hates the repair bills, and she has a 4year old temper tantrum when something breaks. But she loves it.

She hated it a lot when she first got it because of the quirks that VW's have over other cars. Just the way they operate. But when you sit down and realize why they do them a certain way over the Americans and Japanese it makes a hell of a lot more sense. Its just logical!
-LK

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Yeah, my roommate has a Jetta, 2001 i think, and he just had to replace the sealed tranny! I wonder if it was the maintenance you mentioned, or if it was his terrible manual trans driving skills.

Personally, I don't need a racecar. I'm not interested in a turbo or nothing, just a little sporty kick to it. But gas mileage is a definite concern.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:18 pm

This is what you need to get:

flot

Post by flot » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:42 pm

I own two VW Golf

-MKIII GL 1996 - 2.0 L
-MKIV 2000 - 2.0 L

They are great cars! I can fit a 4x12, 5150 head, Boss pedalboard and 3 guitars on the MKIII. Me and someone else on the front seats. However, the rear suspension does not take it as it should. The car gets almost to the ground with all the additional weight.

The MKIV handles the weight a little bit better cause I added bilstein shocks, which are a little tougher than the original shocks.

I couldn't say enough good things about my VW's. I love them, and so does my girlfriend.
With the proper maintenance you have nothing to worry about. They never let me down.

VW for life!
(or any VW brands)

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Randy Bass wrote:This is what you need to get:
That car is sick, but a new nice volvo is WAAAY out of my price range.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.