Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

Re: Any VW Golf owners here?

Post by Wired » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:21 pm

flot wrote:I own two VW Golf

-MKIII GL 1996 - 2.0 L
-MKIV 2000 - 2.0 L

They are great cars! I can fit a 4x12, 5150 head, Boss pedalboard and 3 guitars on the MKIII. Me and someone else on the front seats. However, the rear suspension does not take it as it should. The car gets almost to the ground with all the additional weight.

The MKIV handles the weight a little bit better cause I added bilstein shocks, which are a little tougher than the original shocks.

I couldn't say enough good things about my VW's. I love them, and so does my girlfriend.
With the proper maintenance you have nothing to worry about. They never let me down.

VW for life!
(or any VW brands)
lol, I'm sure if you fit in two guitarists in the back of your MKIII the suspension would sag. :)

The MKV don't do much saggin when loaded with 2 ac30s, a twin, three guitars, and pedal boards. running H&R sport springs.

I love my cars.

I might get a Lexus IS or a Mustang GT next tho... The GT's are really really interesting. and I can fit an AC30 in them. :D
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:19 am

Volvo has been making the C30 for a while now, but I don't really know that much about that which I am speaking :D . Just buy something with shiny wheels!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:22 am

I had a 97 golf (4dr)... and I could slide the cab right into the back seat.

I don't think it would go into the hatch.

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:50 am

misterMagoo wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:This is what you need to get:
That car is sick, but a new nice volvo is WAAAY out of my price range.
They're cute, but with a rubbish boot.

I've got a MkV Jetta. It's a great car, with a Golf interior, but a 527 litre boot, which is bigger than any of our bit saloon cars, and bigger than a Passat (don't know about the CC). I only have a 410, but I'd expect a 412 would fit easily.

There's also a Golf or Jetta wagon about, for even more space. The Skoda Octavia is well worth considering if they have them in the states, it's essentially the Czech version, which is better built!

My Jetta has the 2.0L Turbo, and it's an absolute cracker of an engine. Flat torque curve, pulls harder than the power output would indicate, frugal and smooth. If you can get it in the states though, the twincharger (1.4L with a supercharger and turbocharger) is nearly as fast as the 2L turbo, but uses about 75% of the fuel.

If I was buying a nice car for using to haul gigging gear, I'd probably get the wagon with the twincharger.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:45 pm

tks for the info, wired! my door latch on the driver side went around 81500 (ya, lots of km's for an 08) and they replaced it and covered 75% 'cause it was so close to being out of warrantee. the guys at hunt club VW here in ottawa are standup guys, i'll tell you that.

i suspect you'd find issues with every car, and the guys at the dealership would know. i'm sure if we had a ford or a GM guy on here they'd give you a much longer list of things to watchout for.

if they were smart, they'd tell you to just ignore those two makes, though.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:58 pm

ha. ford and gm are not what they used to be.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:57 pm

misterMagoo wrote:ha. ford and gm are not what they used to be.
Hey! Don't be talkin' nuthin' 'bout American cars!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 am

DoctorJay wrote:
misterMagoo wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:This is what you need to get:
That car is sick, but a new nice volvo is WAAAY out of my price range.
They're cute, but with a rubbish boot.

I've got a MkV Jetta. It's a great car, with a Golf interior, but a 527 litre boot, which is bigger than any of our bit saloon cars, and bigger than a Passat (don't know about the CC). I only have a 410, but I'd expect a 412 would fit easily.
CC's boot is about the same as the regular saloon but with a smaller opening. I can fit my 335 into it nicer than I can my Jetta tho. ;)
There's also a Golf or Jetta wagon about, for even more space. The Skoda Octavia is well worth considering if they have them in the states, it's essentially the Czech version, which is better built!
No Skoda or Seat from the VAG family here :( I want a Cupra!

My Jetta has the 2.0L Turbo, and it's an absolute cracker of an engine. Flat torque curve, pulls harder than the power output would indicate, frugal and smooth. If you can get it in the states though, the twincharger (1.4L with a supercharger and turbocharger) is nearly as fast as the 2L turbo, but uses about 75% of the fuel.

If I was buying a nice car for using to haul gigging gear, I'd probably get the wagon with the twincharger.
No twincharger. We miss out on a lot of the good stuff. I got the 2.0T in my Jetta as well (GLI) and its a blast. Chipped, cold air intake, turbo-back exhaust, diverter valve, and soon a new fuel pump system. :twisted: That engine is so awesome! Great on fuel too!

I get bad heat soak though... Just got back from a cruise and you could smell the heat radiating from the engine bay. Even before the cruise the car sat for 3 hours from a 10 minute saunter to the meeting place and it was still warm when I was changing out a headlamp bulb before we took off...

The Golf/Jetta wagon here only comes with the 2.5L n/a engine and the 2.0TDI common-rail diesel. Its a great car, but I love my 2.0T too much.

The messed up thing is that the newer gen 2.0T's here are called "TSI" which is a kick in the junk cus the TSI in Europe is that twincharged engine. I would love that engine.. I'd do dirty mean things to it...

I very badly want a B6 Passat Wagon with a manual...
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:48 am

Well I just sold my Harley last weekend, and the car search is in full force right now.

Wired: How do you feel about the the MKV? They are known as Rabbits here in the US. I kind of like the mkIV better in terms of looks, although I'm on the fence really. The Rabbit is a bit more modern, but from some angles it looks like a big bubble.
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:21 am

my 03 jetta holds all my gear pefectly. the back seat looks like thye literally molded the door frame around an orange ppc412 (w/o roadcase though. no way im getting that thing in there). seatbelt in shotgun is JUSt long enough to wrap around TV50 in its roadcase, and all guitars and pedals (all in large cases) can either be in trunk or on/in front of the 412.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:my 03 jetta holds all my gear pefectly. the back seat looks like thye literally molded the door frame around an orange ppc412 (w/o roadcase though. no way im getting that thing in there). seatbelt in shotgun is JUSt long enough to wrap around TV50 in its roadcase, and all guitars and pedals (all in large cases) can either be in trunk or on/in front of the 412.
how is it loading in and out? how tight is it?

This may cause me rethinking getting a Marshall 412 for my AC30 if I can fit a PPC412 in the back! :)
-LK

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:08 am

I'm a big VW fan from way back. I have owned a Jetta diesel, a Passat wagon, and I now own a 2004 Golf and a 1999 Polo (which I think they only have in Europe). Either of them are spacious enough to fit all of my gigging gear into with room for more. BTW polos are great little city cars! So awesome on gas and easy to find a space to park since they're quite compact. Steers like a go-cart too! :D

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:40 pm

This is why you need a car like mine. Looks like a golf from the front and has enough room to haul the gear for the whole band.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:42 pm

What the hell is that?
-Joe

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:14 am

misterMagoo wrote:What the hell is that?
Mkiv Jetta Wagon. I love these dumped and turbo'd.... makes me drool!
-LK