Just ordered a Marshall Class 5

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Just ordered a Marshall Class 5

Post by baytamusic » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a green Marshall Class 5 for recording. I'll report back when I get it. I just decided that it's the best amp in the 5w category right now, and the fact that it has two preamp tubes and a 10" speaker with a headphone jack and easy to access speaker out really sealed the deal for me. Plus it looks cool.
Attachments
MarshallClass5NEW.JPG.jpeg
MarshallClass5NEW.JPG.jpeg (112.71 KiB) Viewed 3504 times

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Re: Just ordered a Marshall Class 5

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:15 pm

okay... post some clips :)
accept darkness.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:58 pm

I played one of these at guitar center the other day. I thought it was nice. Good bass for the 10" speaker. I'm trying to hold off on buying more amps right now, but I'm interested in hearing your review. The green is super cool looking.

The one I played rattled a ton, but I think its just one of the first production ones with that issue.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:02 pm

I'm hoping I get a V2. I'm guessing it is since it's green. I don't think the green ones were available in the US until just recently. I've been waiting for American Musical to get them in stock so I could order one. Fingers crossed.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Haha, I almost ordered one from american musical too. Their stupid EZ pay thing is going to be the end of me. I think I'm going to get an EHX microsynth though. Something to entertain me while I decide where exactly I stand with my amps. I want to do some speaker swapping first. :D

Anyways, a marshall class 5 for 3 monthly payments of $133? Yes please. Seems awesome. I'm really curious how a 10" greenback sounds in it. Also, a 10" alnico. Does the speaker extension just make it operate like a head? Or use 2 speakers at once?

BLS
Rocker

Post by BLS » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Congrats! Great little amp, sounds fantastic thru a 4x12. We just got a bunch of red ones at the shop last week.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:25 pm

That looks awesome. It should be a lot brighter than the Orange (except visually :wink: ) so hopefully it's exactly what you are looking for.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:27 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:Haha, I almost ordered one from american musical too. Their stupid EZ pay thing is going to be the end of me. I think I'm going to get an EHX microsynth though. Something to entertain me while I decide where exactly I stand with my amps. I want to do some speaker swapping first. :D

Anyways, a marshall class 5 for 3 monthly payments of $133? Yes please. Seems awesome. I'm really curious how a 10" greenback sounds in it. Also, a 10" alnico. Does the speaker extension just make it operate like a head? Or use 2 speakers at once?
Yeah dude, that 3 payment thing is the shizz. It makes it not seem so expensive. haha. I'm 99% positive the extension jack makes it act like a head. It would be cool if it still kept the speaker on and then they made some extension cabs that matched. I'd be tempted to use it at shows (whenever we start playing out) for my dirty tones when I'm miced if it had another cab. It would be way easier than carrying my 4x12 around. Who knows I may end up using it anyways when I'm lazy if I like it enough.

I'll probably do some tube and speaker swapping although I was reading some dude found JJs and Electro-Harmonix in there. Although, I'm a big believer in NOS tubes so we'll see. I guess the speaker is pretty good too, plus it's made in England and has pretty good components in it as well. I can run it through my g12m 4x12 and I'm sure it will sound pretty good. Mostly anything sounds good through those speakers.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:10 am

Should be good. Looks great in green. Red too I'd think.

Not really a huge Marshall fan, but that seems like a great wee amp. 8)

Its sometimes surprising how much bass you can get from a 10" speaker. You should hear some of the huge sounds that can come out of my 1x10 Mesa Boogie. And my Fender Pro Junior was way too bassy when I tried it with a Vintage 10 Celestion... :o

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Had gotten one for Christmas last year from the wife. Great sounding amp but it rattled like mad so away it went. I'd still really like one but I'm on the fence right now for two reasons. The combo was cool but I don't like being limited to a single 10" so I'd really like a Class 5 head for my 4x10 vintage Avatar cab, which is getting loaded with 2 Weber blue pup alnicos and 2 Weber ceramic silver 10s. The second reason I'd hold out is Guitar Center is getting some GC exclusive Marshall that I think is in the Class 5 line. Seem to be pretty tight lipped about it though. The site has a big counter.

But all that aside, enjoy the amp and I really hope it doesn't rattle. Great sounding tone machine!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Nice one!

I had a go on one a while ago:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38135&p=460182&hili ... +5#p460182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it was really good, but ended up with this instead:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39447&p=476107&hili ... er#p476107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We will, of course need pics and a review :D
Mark

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:18 am

I bought a black one today and I have to admit that the little amp is impressive! It's pure Marshall tone in a easy to carry package. I put a Visual Sound Route 66 in front of mine and the compressor gives you more headroom and the OD gets the distortion rocking. Put a e609 mic in front of the amp and you could play a crowd of 500+.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:15 am

I played one yesterday through a Maton BB1200 and thought it sounded fantastic.
Had the vol about halfway and the breakup was really nice. If it weren't for the desire to own the Maton more, I would be inclined to save up for the Class 5.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Ryan714
Tiny Terror

Post by Ryan714 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:10 am

I just bought myself a Class 5 today. I must say that it's a killer little amp. It's LOUD too. I cranked it in the store of course, but I was a little afraid to go all the way to 10. That's how much volume you can get out of it. It's definitely a different beast compared to my Rocker 30.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:09 pm

I can't wait. It finally shipped yesterday!!!! Looks like everyone is buying these things. I think it'll make a great recording amp. We'll see!