Crate Powerblock

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Crate Powerblock

Post by DoctorJay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:34 am

I've had one of these things for a while, it's kind of a universal backup (including foldback or bass or FOH in a pinch.)

It sounds surprisingly acceptable for bass through a guitar 410, but I tried it in the 410 for guitar recently. Clean it was actually quite good, moving a surprising amount of bass and having a good balanced sound which was good for straight strumming, which was what I needed at the time.

It's also not bad for acoustic, particularly if I run a small pa speaker as well as the 410.

And it weighs next to nothing, and you can just hold it in it's open back 112 with the velcro on the bottom in reserve.

Just thought I'd share
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Crate Powerblock

Post by a.hun » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:57 am

Yeah I've got one. It is a neat wee amp, great as you say for general backup use. Best to run it into an 8 ohm load (or two 4 ohm loads, stereo) as specified on the back panel. Some class D amps are a bit fussier about impedances than most conventional class AB solid state amps are and wrong impedances could send the frequency response way out of whack.

Works fine for bass, guitar, acoustic, as a small stereo 2x75W PA even. I'd even say the drive sounds for e. guitar are reasonable. Not fantastic but easily useable live when you use your guitar volume / tone controls too. Takes pedals well enough too if you have yours handy which you probably would at a gig. Have seen some online comparison test threads where some people were fooled into thinking it had valves. It isn't quite that good IMO but still definitely usable.

Not that great build quality inside so I'd treat it gently, but I do like the amp. Pity they discontinued it really.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:09 pm

I have one too. For $100 I pretty much had to buy one...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:16 pm

I would really like to get one, but I don't see them come up used too often. Are they kind of a rare thing?
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Gtr_Pkr wrote:I would really like to get one, but I don't see them come up used too often. Are they kind of a rare thing?
I think they only sold them for about two years. I picked up one new for around $175 IIRC and a used one on CL for $100. I think most people hang on to them for a backup and never use them, and they're cheap enough to not be the first thing to go in a gear sell-off. I don't know if they sold well, but Crate has recently had a habit of only making products in short runs. It may have something to do with lots of warranty claims...

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 pm

I recall them as being popular with line 6 pod users for live use

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:31 pm

Dunky wrote:I recall them as being popular with line 6 pod users for live use
I reckon they'd work well in that setting.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:57 am

I still want one, it would be great to use as a backup or to drive my leslie.

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:39 am

I had one several years ago, but sold it. It was stupidly loud through my 4x12 and sounded like a distortion pedal (ss-circuit) through a solid state amp. Which basically is exactly what it is. Fine for backup and practice, but "boring" in the tone department.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:44 pm

I bought mine for two reasons:

1. emergency backup

2. to drive my Talk Box (has to be 8 ohm load)

It never really worked w/ my Talk Box for some reason? I use an old solid state Marshall Lead 12 head for that now and it works great! I never remember to bring it for back up and now I have a DT so I just bring it along. As far as selling it, I always felt that since I only paid $100 for it and it's solid state, I wouldn't get much for it anyway. It doesn't take up any space so I guess I'll just keep it. Who knows, maybe solid state amps will make a come back :)

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:13 pm

The blasted things are so rare now they're like $250. :( I won't pay that much for it. I need to find someone who I can build a custom pedal for in trade for one.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Neiloler wrote:The blasted things are so rare now they're like $250. :(
That right? Ironic eh, considering they were being sold off so cheaply when discontinued.

Strange that nobody else seems to have come out with anything similar. I mean for bass lightweight class D amps are now really common. Sure 99% of people prefer valves for guitar amps, but most would just use it as we seem to - a versatile backup and not a main amp.

Still think its quite a cool wee amp but I wouldn't pay over the odds either.

Andy,
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:24 pm

a.hun wrote:
Neiloler wrote:The blasted things are so rare now they're like $250. :(
That right? Ironic eh, considering they were being sold off so cheaply when discontinued.

Strange that nobody else seems to have come out with anything similar. I mean for bass lightweight class D amps are now really common. Sure 99% of people prefer valves for guitar amps, but most would just use it as we seem to - a versatile backup and not a main amp.

Still think its quite a cool wee amp but I wouldn't pay over the odds either.

Andy,
Yeah, I should have jumped on it when I had the chance. C'est la vie.

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Heard it being a very good backup amp with a good preamp pedal like the VT Bass.
I play bass.

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Wow Neil...I am really confused, must be old age...I thought I sent you mine a couple years ago...if not, where is the darn thing...I will check...if I still have it, it is yours!
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!