I've been remiss...praises to araT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

I've been remiss...praises to araT

Post by DoctorJay » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:27 am

Sorry Tara, I meant to post to thank you for your job on setup for the acoustic, and sing the praises of your fret job.

I'm still a bit torn though, whether to raise the action, or try to be a bit more gentle! I think when I re-string it, I'll just use .12's, then loosen the truss-rod a little if needed.

I recommended you to a guy from the guitar shop in Orange who's a Gretsch lover. He's keen to find a tech who understands and loves Gretsches!
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

araT
Tiny Terror

Re: I've been remiss...praises to araT

Post by araT » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:03 am

Hey Jarret - thank you so so much! I really appreciate it & I'm so glad you're happy with it! :mrgreen:

:shock: I can't believe it's still buzzing a bit for you!! I thought I almost had the action TOO high! you really do have superhuman strength :lol: :mrgreen: 12s should definitely sort that out for you, but if not, or if you're ever in the neighbourhood feel free to swing on by and I'll tweak it a bit more for you free-of-charge. :) I'll set the action so I can't even get the strings to contact the frets - that should be about right for you given our difference in strength! 8) :mrgreen:

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:14 am

araT wrote:Hey Jarret - thank you so so much! I really appreciate it & I'm so glad you're happy with it! :mrgreen:

:shock: I can't believe it's still buzzing a bit for you!! I thought I almost had the action TOO high! you really do have superhuman strength :lol: :mrgreen: 12s should definitely sort that out for you, but if not, or if you're ever in the neighbourhood feel free to swing on by and I'll tweak it a bit more for you free-of-charge. :) I'll set the action so I can't even get the strings to contact the frets - that should be about right for you given our difference in strength! 8) :mrgreen:
Definitely not that strong, just a bit heavy handed. It's mostly fabulous, but there's a couple of songs where I really like to hit the open bottom E in an Em to make it ring. That's the only time there's buzz. I suppose I should fix the technique. Plays like butter though.

I never remembered to show you the 12-string. That's the reason I'm heavy handed, the forces for that one are enough to make me stay away from second position barre chords.
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm

DoctorJay wrote:
araT wrote:Hey Jarret - thank you so so much! I really appreciate it & I'm so glad you're happy with it! :mrgreen:

Definitely not that strong, just a bit heavy handed. It's mostly fabulous, but there's a couple of songs where I really like to hit the open bottom E in an Em to make it ring. That's the only time there's buzz. I suppose I should fix the technique. Plays like butter though.

I never remembered to show you the 12-string. That's the reason I'm heavy handed, the forces for that one are enough to make me stay away from second position barre chords.
You're not the only one! I have that problem too but don't like my action too high so have to put up with a bit of buzzing if I get excited or try and not hit the E with so much vigour (needless to say I put up with the occasional buzz! :mrgreen: )

Nice ot hear of a decent tech job too! Even if araT is several thousand miles + out the way for me!
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:01 pm

I prefer to have a buzz most of the time myself.