AD30 .vs. AD15 VOLUME

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jay_Starr

Post by Jay_Starr » Wed May 21, 2003 5:36 am

AC30 Volume is huge! How does the AD30 compare? What about AD15? I play in a mostly always miked situation, but if I ever encounter a non-miked situation, I want the Volume to be there. Does the AD15 have the guts to get over the drums? And is the AD30 to loud for small grade school gymnasium sized venues? I like to play my channel JUST before break-up, and then boost with my OD pedal. Will I be too loud for the crowd? I don't think I'd have that problem with the AD15, but what if i'm not miked?

Pacomc

Post by Pacomc » Thu May 22, 2003 9:00 pm

go with the AD 30. the AD 15 is loud, really really loud for a 15 watter but you'll want the extra headroom anyway in the AD 30 because you already have an AC 30.

I wanna dip my balls in it!!!!

Jay_Starr

Post by Jay_Starr » Fri May 23, 2003 4:01 am

I don't have an AC30, my friend does. But I really don't want to blow out anybody's ears with the AD30.

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Fri May 23, 2003 4:06 pm

You can always use a volume pedal onstage if you're worried about control. Try using your guitar volume...I get a nice, smooth drop-off when going through my AD30.

Pacomc

Post by Pacomc » Fri May 23, 2003 4:32 pm

well the AD 30 is a master volume amp where as the AC 30 is not. So that's one way to control the volume just turn the gain down. The cleans are still classic british clean read (chimey) and if you chain a couple of overdrives you will have all the gain and volume you need. The AD 15 responds very well in this set up I can only expect the same from the AD 30. Also if you turn the gain past about 1 o clock the signal is squared off and you get more of a fuzzy tone from the amp.

I can't speak on the total output volume of the AD 30. My AD 15 is very loud for a 15 watt combo. It is perfect in a small bar. Most of the other folks I see have blues juniors and modded blues juniors and this is about 1 and a half times as loud probably due to the vintage 30 and quality cabinet design among other tone issues like no crappy on board reverb. If I need more volume I use my overdrives to push the front end and I turn the gain down.

I just thought if you are playing a bigger space you might want the extra headroom and breath that the AD 30 can provide because it has more output power. The 15 would suit your needs fine but the AD 30 would give you a little more fullness to the sound because of the two speakers and more out put.

If it's too loud you can always control it with an attenuator there are many good ones available but all are kind of expensive. I guess the best way is to turn them up in the store and judge for yourself. But you could always start with the AD 15 and if it's not what you need take it back and get the AD 30.

Good Luck.

I wanna dip my balls in it!!!!