gear always sparks creativity... compressor edition

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

gear always sparks creativity... compressor edition

Post by Wired » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:44 am

I needed a compressor anyways, but with my lack of wanting to play lately I thought maybe going down and getting a new toy would help spark my interest again. It worked. :)

Anyways, what makes a good compressor?

Its a hard box to shop for. Sound/video demos really don't do jack squat when it comes to demoing a compressor online. It's not really an effect as much as its a tool, and I think thats where a lot of people get confused with this unit. Which is why I've had a hard time finding one.

I bought three. :twisted: I only plan on keeping one.

I think this is the best way for me to figure out how to use/buy a comp. As I've owned them before but never really understood them. My need for them is the fact I'm trying to learn more two handed tapping. Not shreader style, but clean and melodic style. Not unlike Dave Knudson and Stanley Jordon.

For this kinda tapping style the problem is that the notes needed to be smoother and the volume needs to be more balanced. When I tap (and i don't know if its like this for most people) the initial hit is accented and the pull of is quite a bit quieter. This difference in timbre makes it sound sloppy and uncontrolled.

So what makes a good compressor?

Out of the three boxes (yet to be named on purpose) I found the following things:

The compressor effect has to keep volume balanced across the whole sonic spectrum. Bass notes shouldn't be louder/quieter than treble notes; and vice versa.

A compressor should keep volume balanced, but not make it noticeable the effects in use. You shouldn't be able to hear the unit "squeeze" the note or release it. It should just sound "tighter"

In this circumstance. A compressor should not kill sustain, but allow notes to ring out longer.

A compressor should not alter the fundamental tone significantly. (like an EQ pedal would for example)

This leads us to the three boxes.

Diamond Compressor (analog optical)
EBS Multi Comp (multi-band analog)
MXR Super Comp (Analog Ross Style)

I have no idea what Ross style means

Anyways........Each one of these pedals really showed me that the difference between comps is much larger than that of similar overdrives. While two tubescreamer based boxes will sound similar. Two/three different comps function WAY differently. So I picked up my Tele (which has little sustain to start with) and plugged into my AC30 with each compressor.

EBS was the first one I plugged in as I've never used an EBS product and all I heard was good about them. At first I really really liked it. It smoothed out playing open chords (took the clang out of the top end) and tightened up the lows. Notes were more defined and you couldn't hear what I call "catch and release'

Then it was onto playing leads and tapping....which caused me to do a double take at the box top. Bass notes come through clear and punchy. Trebles notes still come through balanced, but sustain is killed off almost sooner than with the box off. I even used the different comp modes. Multi-band was the most useful. If I played a lot of ska or reggae or clean open chords I wouldn't have even plugged into the other two. But I'm not looking for a comp to do only that.

The MXR was interesting. It was a lil harder to dial in than the EBS. In fact the "attack" knob gave me some problems as I honestly don't know how to use a comp. ;) So what did I find? The MXR SOUNDED like an effect. Notes were noticeably squished. You could really hear the catch and release. It was fine for chord work or punchy leads. But sustained notes fell away to the side. Almost the opposite of the EBS. I was able to get a setting that helped for chords. But overall I don't think I would use this unless I was playing rock hard leads or metal leads.

The Diamond. Lets save the best for last. :)

I pulled it out, set everything for 12:00 and left it there. In fact I haven't really moved anything since.... The EQ knob is nice as this pedal darkens the tone when set for 12:00, so having the EQ knob on there really helps for balancing out the tone. A welcome addition.

Chord work is less jangly and piercing using the bridge pickup on the Tele. Something the AC30 Tele combo creates a lot of.
Notes were well defined and volume was balanced.
Even when digging in and then playing more relaxed the chords stayed tight and the volume stayed the same... without the "catch and release" sound that drives me bonkers with compressors.
The best part? tapped notes in both registers were clean, balanced, and sustained.

The Diamond is the best of all worlds.

Until you get it to clip. Then it catches and releases.. but no where near as noticeable as the MXR or EBS.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Re: gear always sparks creativity... compressor edition

Post by Van Cleef » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:56 am

personally - ditching my keeley comp and trusting my playing dynamics was kinda like when as a kid - riding a bike without training wheels for the first time
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:10 am

That was really in-depth and helpful. I have considered getting a compressor in the past, but I wasn't sure if it would accomplish what I wanted. The MXR is more of what I was considering for lead work, but I think I'll check out a few like you did if I get to that point.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 am

Randy, also check out the Whirlwind Red Box. Made by the guy who started MXR and built to the original specs. Better price too.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:44 am

Van Cleef wrote:personally - ditching my keeley comp and trusting my playing dynamics was kinda like when as a kid - riding a bike without training wheels for the first time
Oh totally. And for chord work and leads I agree with you 100%.

If I need to smooth out my tone and get rid of the jangle for cleans I switch to the neck pickup, paired, or adjust volume/tone knobs on the guitar itself.

I just haven't figured out how to even the volume of the notes out when tapping or get more sustain out of the notes. I have no problem doing this when using a crunch/overdrive/distortion box, especially coupled with delay. But if I'm trying to be as "dry" and clean as possible with my tone, the diamonds a god-send for evening out the notes and adding sustain.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:54 am

Funny, I always assumed that a compressor, as well as evening volume level between quiet and hard playing, was about sustain???

Or was I mistaken?

Is it because my only compressor to date is an 80s MIJ guyatone sustainer/compressor?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Compressor Reviews

http://www.ovnilab.com
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:43 am

haha, before i read your opinion, i already knew which one you would end up choosing.

i use a compressor, but not for a heavy squash. i still like, no, love dynamics. but i wanted just a little...something i found the big name comps couldn't do (MXR, Ross, Keeley, etc). the two pedals i found that gave me exactly what i wanted was the Diamond Comp, and Visual Sound's Comp 66. i went with the Comp 66 because it was cheaper (darn budget...), but i saw them as pretty eqaual.

i think you'll love your Diamond! they make some great stuff :D
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:47 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Funny, I always assumed that a compressor, as well as evening volume level between quiet and hard playing, was about sustain???
no, you're right. sustain isn't what the pedal does, but rather it's the side-affect of compression. sustain is added because when the level of the signal gets low enough, the compressor brings it back up. giving a sort of artificial sustain. that's why some pedals will have the compression knob labeled "sustain"-the more compression there is, the lower your signal has to be to cause silence, and the more sustain there is.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

nmendoza
Tiny Terror

Post by nmendoza » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Another player in the 'transparent compression' arena is the Barber Tone Press- it's a parallel compression circuit, so you can blend in your dry signal to retain attack and dynamics if you so choose. You can go from full-squash with the mix all the way toward compression, to a simple clean boost with the mix set fully dry. I've been very happy with mine, though I'd still like to try the Diamond eventually- the Barber won out when I was shopping since it's about 25% cheaper and I like the blending idea.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:00 pm

When I was looking into possibly acquiring a compressor, I though the Rothwell Love Squeeze sounded best - check it out, there's a good ProGuitarShop demo on Youtube that compares it to the Keeley IIRC.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:28 pm

yea I love Diamond gear. I have yet to find a pedal by them that I honestly didn't like. I just usually got bored of them for some reason....

I still need to get me another Fireburst (fourth one lol. I love it then I hate it....)

I wanted to try the Tone Press but no one locally carries one. and I'm too impatient to wait for someone to ship me one (especially MuiscToyz... 4 months last two times I ordered a pedal guaranteed to be in stock)
-LK

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:19 am

tks for the review. that was awesome. i was looking at compressors a while back and was really impressed at the Barber and the Rothwell. but i'm a big barber fan (even though i currently don't own one...). great products.

has the compressor gotten you back into playing? a couple weeks ago you were talking about a rut...
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

cain

Post by cain » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:42 am

+1 on the Barber, I think the Diamond and Barber are the top two and the blend function on the BTP gives you the ability to dial in the tone your looking for.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:01 pm

I didn't see it covered here, but just because you might be curious:

"Ross style" is referring to the company ROSS who made some pedals in the 60s and 70s (I believe that was the time frame). They made a compressor that people liked, thus Ross style. :)