Won myself some speakers with a free Traynor amp on Ebay ;-)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Won myself some speakers with a free Traynor amp on Ebay ;-)

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:16 pm

I've been on the lookout for something a bit different since selling my Rocker 30, and I just stumbled across a Traynor YCV80 ending on Ebay. Traynor seem to have a fairly good rep, and most criticisms of this amp in reviews seemed to be the sub par stock speakers. What really got my attention was that this one has a pair of Celestion Golds fitted in it!
Last edited by Le Chat Noir on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Re: Won myself some speakers with a free amp on Ebay ;-)

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Awesome deal! That's pretty sweet. I bet the amp will be pretty decent, but it sounds like you could flop in some different speakers and make some $ if you don't like it.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:34 pm

The only Traynors I've heard in the flesh were vintage and very Fendery in character, pretty nice. This one is meant to have one 'Marshall' voiced channel and one 'Fender' voiced. Traynors seem to go for very low prices used, I think these retailed around 700GBP or so new here, probably cheaper in the US and Canada though.

I've always fancied trying some Golds anyhow, so if I don't get on with the Traynor I might try the Golds in my AD30 :)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Oooh fancy :D

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:40 pm

If I recall correctly, fellow forumite brianr0131 used to have a YCV80 listed in his sig with his gear, so I am interested to see if he'll chip in here! ;)
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Re: Won myself some speakers with a free Traynor amp on Ebay ;-)

Post by DoctorJay » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Sounds like a great find Teddy.

I tried a 20W Traynor a few years ago and really liked it. Great Fendery clean IIRC.

More amps!
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:28 am

Traynor is either a major hit or major miss, our guitarist had one and we didn't like it at all, it seemed really scooped.

The speakers were a big part of the problem though. I'm darn jealous of your 2xgolds, that'll be AWESOME. :)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:29 am

DoctorJay wrote:Sounds like a great find Teddy.

I tried a 20W Traynor a few years ago and really liked it. Great Fendery clean IIRC.

More amps!
Yeah great score Teddy! 8)

A good mate also had an old 20ish watt Traynor combo Jarret.
Lovely sounding amp. Really well built too - they always had a great rep.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Daves
Tiny Terror

Post by Daves » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:25 am

How your amp was made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2oXPlV ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:36 am

Daves wrote:How your amp was made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2oXPlV ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That actually was pretty interesting to watch!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:30 am

Daves wrote:How your amp was made:

That was very interesting, thanks for sharing! Wow, the bit where it goes through a solder bath instead of each part being hand soldered - that's really clever, never knew about that process! Weird that the preamp tube is on the board underneath.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:19 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:If I recall correctly, fellow forumite brianr0131 used to have a YCV80 listed in his sig with his gear, so I am interested to see if he'll chip in here! ;)
Good memory Teddy.

It's a nice amp. I think you'll like it to be honest. I think you'll find the cleans to be incredible after you play with them a bit. I know you don't use cleans much though.

The dirty channel is relatively versatile as well. You can get really nice crunch on there and it can get pretty ballsy too. It's nothing like orange dirty though (obviously).

I think you can find a voicing for it in your setup for sure. The fact that it is so different will most likely "thicken" your already thick sound. Another thought might be to overdrive the clean channel. It's very fendery and overdriven won't have the clarity or articulate sounds you get from an orange, but it would likely sound very big.

A nice trick I used with that amp for boosts is using the trim pits on the effects loop (I never used any effects in loop) and putting my tuner in there to cut it. I would then turn the tuner off to engage the boost I created. It worked well for me and the nice part is that it works well on all channels too.

The "boost" function on the footswitch isn't a distinctly different sound unless you have the dirty gain at 2/3 or below. If you do that, you truly have 3 different footswitchable sounds (technically 6 with my loop "trick"). I know you usually dime your amps, so I don't think the versatility is your main concern ecxept maybe for practicing.

Master volume works very well. All in all I think you'll be pleased with the amp. the 70/80 speakers really suck, so you're lucky to have those golds in there. A lot of people like them with V30's for some reason. If you sell it, maybe you can throw a pair of those in there.

This is a LOUD amp. I found it to be on par with 100 watt amps. But, I think with 4 6l6 you already assumed that.

Also, by changing one or two caps you can use EL34s in there. I know that will give you a more british type sound if that's what you're after. But, to be honest, I think your best bet will be overdriving the clean channel for something really fat.

You may surprise yourself and keep it.

Good luck. Good buy too! You got a nice deal.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:04 pm

The golds should sound awesome in your ad30. Have a pair of red fangs in mine (wich are aimed after the blues) and much prefer the sound. The alnico makes it sound more open, sparkly and gives better cleans vs. tight, cutting and aggressive sound of the v30 - if thats what your after. i imagine the golds will sound even more classy than the fangs, but i honestly never tried them.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Went and picked up the amp yesterday!

Tried it briefly last night - first impressions are that this amp sounds nothing like any other amp I've used before. I'm not going to gush that it's the best thing I've ever played through, but it is certainly different! I've owned about a dozen amps to date, and all have been British-voiced - Marshall, Orange, Carlsbro, etc - and haven't ever even played through an American-voiced amp really, so the 'Fender' type channel on this is a new experience for me.

Besides the tone stack and the valves, I think a big part of what I'm hearing may be to do with the Golds - it has this lovely syrupy, chimey high end, but coupled with a deep, fat, warm low end. Next to my AD30, the difference in voicing is huge - the AD30 is incredibly focussed in the mids, kicking out loads of low mid fuzz but with a restrained high end and not much lows at all. This amp has less mids but a ton more low end and high end chime without 'ice pickiness'.

Interestingly, whilst Brian says his was incredibly loud, I think mine is much quieter than most 30w+ amps I've owned! I cranked the master to full and I could hear myself shout over it - whereas my old Carlsbro TC100 or Marshall Super Bass both made any voice inaudible at about 3 on the volume dial, plus giving you physical pain in your ears at about 5 or so! It doesn't sound much louder to me than my AD30 to be honest.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase so far, will see how it sits in my rig - I'm feeling positive though, like I say it's voiced so differently from the AD30, I think it'll definitely fill out the sonic space a bit more.

My next test will be plugging the AD30 into the Golds to see how much of a difference that makes! I'm worried though that I may like it too much and have to buy more Golds, haha!

Brian, out of interest how come you parted with the Traynor in the end? Just wasn't the voicing you were after?

P.S. Pics to follow :P
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Nice Score! Traynors are very popular around my area.