Gear isn't all that important, is it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Gear isn't all that important, is it?

Post by a.hun » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:46 am

ronnes wrote:who wouldnt want a 50´s telecaster or a very early black Les Paul custom!! :mrgreen:
Oh sure. I once had the chance to play a beautiful genuine '56 LP Custom, the Black Beauty model. That was something very special, and yes, I'd have loved to own that guitar myself.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... om#p295711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ronnes wrote:if i had the opportunity to choose either a cheap guitar and an good amp or expensive guitar and cheap amp i would have chosen cheap guitar cos´ i think it is easier to mod a guitar than a amp, and ive always modded my guitars to suit me :D
This is a debate which goes on and on. Which is more important, guitar or amp? I'm obviously with you on the amp front! :D

There are some fantastic inexpensive (I prefer that word to 'cheap') guitars out there, and above a certain price you are paying more for the 'furniture' aspects of things than basic sounds and playability. You can easily find inexpensive guitars with great resonance and upgrade components if you find you want or need to. But even that Black Beauty through a crappy amp would sound like a crappy electric guitar. Give the right basics in a guitar, I really do think that you are way better spending more money on your amp(s).

FWIW my most expensive traditional electric guitar was just above the GBP.600 mark, my most expensive bass under Eur.900. Having spent about 7 years living at a recording / rehearsal studio in Scotland I have played plenty much more expensive instruments, but I am perfectly happy with the ones I have.

I have no problem with people wanting to spend more on their instruments of course. My dearest guitar is a (very non traditional but very effective) solid body nylon string electric from a small German bass company called Marleaux. It cost me nearly GBP900 going on ten years back, and though its uses are somewhat limited it is my favourite guitar of all to play. I do want one of their basses too one day, which will cost a good bit more but will be worth it to an experienced bass player like me.

However 'want' and 'need' are different things. A decent $/£/€400 bass through a quality bass rig will sound vastly better (every time!!!) than any 2 grand plus instrument through a $/£/€400 bass amp.

Though it is maybe a bit less clear cut I do see exactly the same being true with guitars and guitar amps. Especially for players who are starting off on their playing careers spending more on the amp than the guitar will let you make better music and get it heard properly.

Which is after all the important bit! :)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:13 pm

I think the quality of my gear should match my playing skills and professionality of my band. I know guys that can tell you about any pedal, amp and guitar, have awesome gear BUT can't write songs or play in time and never get to play in front of people. If its cool for them - ok. But I wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Bensen wrote:I think the quality of my gear should match my playing skills and professionality of my band. I know guys that can tell you about any pedal, amp and guitar, have awesome gear BUT can't write songs or play in time and never get to play in front of people. If its cool for them - ok. But I wouldn't be satisfied with that.
It kinda depends on why you play. Some people play to be heard, some people just play for their own satisfaction.
Nothing wrong with either, just a different take on things.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Rodolfo
Tiny Terror

Post by Rodolfo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 pm

the gear, well the gear is just a tool, a very very addictive and awsum tool, but a tool none the less..i think what i like the most its the feel musicians have and the way they put their hearts in what they create/play.
i'm not saying gear is useless, in fact i think you cant be all heart and no brains, music is a fine art but we are way beyond the 1920's blues, technology exists and we should use it, all this to say that i think, in my humble opinion, that you can put two completely different musicians playing with the exact same gear and they will sound miles appart, even if they play the same riff's or whatever its the feel, the fingers the process its the greatest thing in music, self expression, the greatest feeling when you grab a guitar and "speak" what you cant say with words. the gear is the intelectual part of it, me i'm a total geek and i love it, i'd die for it but i cant say gear is the most important thing.

gear matters. but you have to love what you do or you are just wasting time.

(sorry about my weak english)
"..I have a dream" martin luther king.

"..WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" chewbacca

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Rodolfo wrote:the gear, well the gear is just a tool, a very very addictive and awsum tool, but a tool none the less..i think what i like the most its the feel musicians have and the way they put their hearts in what they create/play.
i'm not saying gear is useless, in fact i think you cant be all heart and no brains, music is a fine art but we are way beyond the 1920's blues, technology exists and we should use it, all this to say that i think, in my humble opinion, that you can put two completely different musicians playing with the exact same gear and they will sound miles appart, even if they play the same riff's or whatever its the feel, the fingers the process its the greatest thing in music, self expression, the greatest feeling when you grab a guitar and "speak" what you cant say with words. the gear is the intelectual part of it, me i'm a total geek and i love it, i'd die for it but i cant say gear is the most important thing.

gear matters. but you have to love what you do or you are just wasting time.

(sorry about my weak english)

Yup. +1
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:02 pm

What the hell else am I supposed to do at work all day when I cant play guitar!. warning though the more time I spend here directly correlates to the amount of money I spend on gear.
Rain..Ammunition

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:32 pm

jord123 wrote:What the hell else am I supposed to do at work all day when I cant play guitar!. warning though the more time I spend here directly correlates to the amount of money I spend on gear.
Ummm... work?

Just kidding man! Haha. I do the same thing (when I can anyway :lol: )

And your right, this place makes you buy things. I don't think I've ever been so close to buying a jazzmaster as I have been in the last week.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 pm

jord123 wrote:What the hell else am I supposed to do at work all day when I cant play guitar!. warning though the more time I spend here directly correlates to the amount of money I spend on gear.
This is precisely my problem... Like, I'm talking exactly.

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 pm

yes, my patient flow at work dictates how much I work, so .... no patients. no workie. between this forum, ebay, craigslist, mf, gibby.com and fender.com its a wonder they still pay me!
Rain..Ammunition

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:31 pm

also, if your audience notices if you have good gear only if the music in question is a type that attracts mainly musicians.

in guitar terms, an example would be Satriani. i haven't met too many non-musicians who love his work. and as a result, his gear is pretty visible--which is why he has a signature guitar, signature amp, signature pedals, straps...etc. because his audience cares about it, and takes notice.

then, on the opposite band, take a pop punk band, like Blink 182. the simplicity of their style doesn't attract musicians nearly as much, but they have a lot of fans who aren't musicians. because of this, their gear isn't as visible
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:37 am

Good properly working gear is a must.....everything else is snake-oil.....IMO.

I wasted a TON of money just to return to the beginning. I had "great tone" and then saw adds for "magic elixir". It didn't cure a disease....it spawned a virus.

I am happy and smarter now......not just another dumble-ass.
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:41 am

I think strings are the most important step in the tone chain... crap strings... crap playing... crap sound!

Plectrum... $1.00

Guitar strings... $30.00

Fifteen different effects pedals... $3,000.00

100 watt amplifier & half stack... $4,000.00

Knowing that your cheap Yamaha RG copy (that is one eighth the cost of your entire signal chain) sounds just as good as your best friends custom specified signature PRS... Priceless! :)

+1 Amp is more important than guitar!
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:35 am

strings can make a big difference. i had situations where i did not like a new PUP and with the right
strings, it sounded damn good (worth the money...)

sometimes it's a pain in the ass to figure out the RIGHT combinations for yourself but it's mostly worth the
effort...

but i like to "tune" my tone with tubes and i always look for the right pickups in my instruments.
if there's a pup which is useless in a band (doesn't cut or does only cut with a heavy mid boost)
i tend to get a better pup. flexibility is also a matter of cutting sounds. if no one hears your "cool tone"
than it's worthless.

i have this telly which had a nice bridge pup but the neck pup was CRAP and the band could not hear
me enough if i switched on it. far too muddy. so i switched out the pups but i disliked the "balance".
so i emailed a pickup winder. he copied the bridge pup with slight improvements and he invented a
neck pup that fits like a glove. now i have three positons that are VERY VERY useful. we talked about tone and he got it right. everyone who played that telly get's a big fat boner. the pickup's weren't very pricey and im so
happy with it.

it's always WORTH it to hunt tone if you love it.

i also think that some pickups work better with nickel plated steel strings while pickups sound
better with pure nickel strings. the brand makes another diffference... also the picks you use
and your playing style, how you hit the strings... your picking dynamics, your technique, even
where you hit the strings (before or after the pickup) will affect your sound. your whole mood.
your ideads and how emotional you play. thousand things man...
accept darkness.

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:35 am

Nothing but the go-go-gadget best for me. Fast cars and faster women. Sharp, stylish clothing. Fine, gourmet restaurants and top gear.

You folks should check out my new book, "From Delusionaire to Millionaire on Twenty Five Dollars in Cash". It'll change your life.

"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:57 pm

gear is certainly important but it begins with playing. one inspires the other so it is very much chicken-and-egg.

even though the amp is visually at the end of the tone chain, tone really starts with the amp.

i grew up playing dime store guitars and amps. some are quite collectible today. the tone was very good. it was the amps. it was cheap built stuff but it sounded very good.

now, i have a good day job so i can afford what i want. having played most everything over the years i've developed a habit. when i get an amp i play it dry for months. that is, without pedals. many pedals take over the amp and i don't want that. i'll play it so that i know what it can do. water the sound later with chorus, compression and digiverb if desired, but i've got to get to know the amp.

i'm one to plug in, and go. so, as impatient as i am, i like to explore an amp, and my thinking is that i want to amp to work for me; not the other way around. figuring where power amp distortion is key for me. i try very hard to get the most tone from the power end.

my main guitar is a stock american standard strat. for buckers i have a les paul.

but ultimately, while gear is important i just like to play.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant