tweaker by egnater

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

tweaker by egnater

Post by damienwatt_au » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:21 am

Any one tried this amp? Pretty much an all-in-one low watt amp.

http://www.egnateramps.com/products/Twe ... rHead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: tweaker by egnater

Post by baytamusic » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:23 am

Never tried it, but we had a pretty good time making fun of the name a while back. :)

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:43 am

Yeah its very cringe worthy,
I just get images of a terminator who is programed to destroy eggs.
And tweaker..... seems like they are targeting 13yo.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:05 am

It's seems like a silly name, and it's an interesting look (I dig it), but it's a cool idea. I think they're on the rise, small amps like these.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 pm

damienwatt_au wrote:Yeah its very cringe worthy,
I just get images of a terminator who is programed to destroy eggs.
And tweaker..... seems like they are targeting 13yo.
Well, in the US a "tweaker" is someone who smokes methamphetamines. haha.

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:39 pm

i doubt the british tone idea. as stated in another post, the switchable tone idea doesn't work in my opinion, at least from a tube amp perspective.

but i've not heard the amps. maybe it does work. i hope it does because i like to see things from a successful perspective.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Meh. Wasn't impressed with the one I played. I'd much rather grab an Epiphone Valve Junior if you want a small amp. You can get that and a good drive pedal for less than a tweaker. Or better yet, and Epiphone Valve Senior with a good drive pedal for about the same as a tweaker.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:00 pm

^yeah, i wasn't impressed by them much either. i've tried most of egnaters line, and the tone just doesn't do it for me. features are kinda cool though.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:03 am

i don't like their tone... :!:
accept darkness.

bodhi2600
Tiny Terror

Post by bodhi2600 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:36 am

i played one the other day at GC. my RK30 kills it.
i saw a couple of youtube vids on the tweaker and thought it sounded pretty good but in person it wasn't very interesting.

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:00 am

I posted a review of the head version a while back. Here's what I had to say:

I haven't played the particular model in question, [the combo] but I have played the Egnater Tweaker head. It sucked!

I bought one of those little buggers because they were marketed to be fairly inexpensive and fairly versatile. As far as I can tell, the quality control level of all Egnater products is about the same, so the amp I had wasn't a particularly bad one.

The first thing I noticed when i took it out of the box was that it reeked of glue. A quick check online confirmed that this is a common complaint.

Next thing I noticed: There were two holes drilled in the top of the head about half an inch to the left of the screws that held the top vent on. The holes were obviously drilled in the wrong place, then re-drilled in the correct position. These holes were clearly visible. Ridiculous!

As far as sound is concerned, however, well ... I played the thing for about 5 minutes and my ears hurt for about 5 or 6 hours. Apparently, the EQ controls don't cover the range of frequencies that the amp puts out, so the shrill highs are always there and there's nothing you can do about it.

The head I used had switches on it to change the voicing of the amp. One that really got me was the vintage/modern switch, which is supposed to switch between a flat EQ to a scooped EQ, but actually went from a scooped EQ to a more scooped EQ.

The overall quality of the product was disappointing in feel. There were visible manufacturing mishaps. The sound was awful. I will never buy another Egnater product again.

YMMV.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Well, take that one off the "want to buy" list. I'll try it out if I ever get the chance, don't get me wrong, but if it doesn't have the quality or high rep...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm holding out for the Bogner Wanker.

Gtr_Pkr
Orange Expert

Post by Gtr_Pkr » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Well...In defense of Egnater products as a whole....I bought a Rebel 20 and I'm really happy with it. I didn't have any of the problems that are being discussed here. Quality Control was great. It's in perfect condition with no visible errors from the factory. The EQ tunes beautifully. I can get a nice trebly tone all the way down to a nice rounded out jazz tone. I love the feature of mixing the EL-84 and 6V6 tubes. You can really dial in a lot of tones with this amp. Too bad that the Tweaker doesn't do the same. I've got a Guitar Center just down the block from work. Now I'm interested to try it out to see how bad it really is.
Lost in the spacey reverb of the Rockerverb.......SOMEBODY GET ME OUTTA HERE!!

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:46 pm

I'd still love a Rebel 20, that seems like a great way to go. I find it strange that the Tweaker isn't held in high regards. Hmmm.