Clean headroom, Tiny Terror combo, gigging question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

skimmyskim

Clean headroom, Tiny Terror combo, gigging question

Post by skimmyskim » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 am

So, I recently bought a Tiny Terror combo, and to my dismay, I found the lack of EQ troubling as well as the lack of clean headroom. now, I know that Oranges in general are supposed to be pretty dirty, and I understand that. But I wanted to know if I should stick with and get a 2x12 cab, or if I would be better suited buying a different amp with 2x12.

I've practiced with my band and the clean cannot overpower the drummer. Would getting a 2x12 cab allow me to be louder in the mix, or cut through better, or will I have to get a higher wattage amp in order to do so? I Really love the TT combo, but I wanted to know what a better choice would be

OU818
Orange Master

Re: Clean headroom, Tiny Terror combo, gigging question

Post by OU818 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:11 am

skimmyskim wrote:So, I recently bought a Tiny Terror combo, and to my dismay, I found the lack of EQ troubling as well as the lack of clean headroom. now, I know that Oranges in general are supposed to be pretty dirty, and I understand that. But I wanted to know if I should stick with and get a 2x12 cab, or if I would be better suited buying a different amp with 2x12.

I've practiced with my band and the clean cannot overpower the drummer. Would getting a 2x12 cab allow me to be louder in the mix, or cut through better, or will I have to get a higher wattage amp in order to do so? I Really love the TT combo, but I wanted to know what a better choice would be
15 watts are never going to be loud when clean (over a drummer that is). You could try mic'ing your combo which would give you that added boost.
Adding more speakers will push your tone but it isn't going to make the amp push past the drummer when clean.

A Dual Terror or Rocker 30 would be better for this. Or if you really want cleans, try a Rockerverb 50.
I hear the AD30 is also very good, haven't played one myself though.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:00 am

Apart from a Mic there is nothing you can do to increase the clean headroom.
Adding more speakers will push more air but it will still be an overdriven clean.....

Some amps at 15 watts can stay relatively clean because they are designed to stay clean.....and as you know the TT is really a crunchy type sound.

Nobody ever says "I really want that Orange clean sound"....when describing cleans to anyone......

I would get a bigger amp....personally I need at least 50 watts from an amp for my cleans to be really clean.....but then not everybody likes pristine cleans! :)
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:16 pm

BrianGT wrote:I would get a bigger amp....personally I need at least 50 watts from an amp for my cleans to be really clean.....but then not everybody likes pristine cleans! :)
Finally, someone else that agrees with me!

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:31 pm

[quoteFinally, someone else that agrees with me!

][/quote]

Hold on to your Hat....there's a storm coming!! :lol:

Headroom needs power........of course a Mic can resolve that but not everbody wants to go through a PA.
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:19 pm

skimmyskim wrote:So, I recently bought a Tiny Terror combo, and to my dismay, I found the lack of EQ troubling as well as the lack of clean headroom. now, I know that Oranges in general are supposed to be pretty dirty, and I understand that...
When did you first notice the lack of EQ? I noticed it when I first saw the TT and again when I tried it out before I decided to buy one :) . The TT really was designed to give powerful distortion at lower volumes, so the opposite of clean headroom. It might be necessary to check out something else like a Fender that is known for cleans at decent volumes, unless the bigger Oranges like the Rockerverbs would suit your needs.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:17 am

my friend, if you got a tiny terror expecting a full eq and for it to overpower a drummer, you didn't do enough homework. the terrors are meant to be used for guys who don't need a lot of power, and they're meant to be turned up past the point of breakup. that's why it's so popular in studios, bedrooms, and in small gigs.

if you're looking for a logical step up, you could get a Dual Terror. It's 30 watts, not 15, so you could set one channel clean and the other dirty. that will work fairly well. of course, if you want a full EQ you might wanna step up to either the Rocker 30 or the AD30.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals