How wrong is this? NOW w/ pix and videoclip

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

How wrong is this? NOW w/ pix and videoclip

Post by bclaire » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:29 pm

I think I'm getting loopy... no pun intended.

After spending the better part of the past week spent tweaking and programing banks in my G-System and not even dealing with loops yet, I decided to take my 1970's technology Echoplex and put it in loop 3 of the 2010's technology G-System and see what happens! John A. figured it was going to sound like a day at the ocean, but it's really cool. I set it to the same amount of delay as the delay in the G-System and was laughing out loud as I switched it in and out. Yeah, it does add some noise but nothing unusable- but it's just so wrong on so many levels!

This thing (G-System) is really amazing- I'm finding lots of different subtle effects that I can use and I'm still tweaking levels. I love the fact that you can program a setting with two things on, but program all of the effects that are off assigned to that patch and call them up on the fly! Right now, I'd like to use it in a live band setting at rehearsal but our drummer is away for another week on vacation...

Next thing I need to do though, is start playing around with the TC Nova Drive pedal. I really only use the Orange's distortion in channel 2 so it will be tricky to even find anything that I want to use so.... I do have to say, I played around with it outside of the G-System and the overdrive section worked beautifully with the Orange so I may have a different second channel sound in this pedal with channel 1. We'll have to see...

OU818
Orange Master

Re: How wrong is this?

Post by OU818 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:40 pm

I don't like how your enthusiasm for this device is slowly eating away at my one-eyed bias of analogue pedals.

Maybe I will just have to pick one of these up... you know... to prove you wrong... not cause I want one :roll: :oops:

:lol:
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Come on over to the dark side!

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 pm

OU818 wrote:I don't like how your enthusiasm for this device is slowly eating away at my one-eyed bias of analogue pedals.

Maybe I will just have to pick one of these up... you know... to prove you wrong... not cause I want one :roll: :oops:

:lol:
This post made me laugh (and empathize!) the whole way through! :lol:

I feel your pain brother. I feel it.
Greg

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:28 pm

Computers can do amazing things with tone these days, and manufacturers are making chips that are the size of a postage stamp and do what all the processors in the 80s put together couldn't do in an after noon, and do it all on the fly. Cachow. :)

Way cool Billy.

By the way, what inspired this big switching/programming kick? I wouldn't have thought you for one of the guys who uses such device.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Well, actually, I've used midi footcontrollers for years! Have used rack mounted effects since 1985-ish I would say.

I've always hated pedals- and the look of pedalboards with cables all over, pedals all over, tap-dancing all over, power cords and amp cables running up, etc. I hate it!

What preceded it, is my Voodoolab Ground Control midi footcontroller died on me about 4 months ago, got a replacement on ebay, but the whole experience has left me wanting something more modern with higher bitrate effects. This unit can really do much more than the Ground Control can and I just decided to get in this century with my effects and management...

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I borrowed the G-system from my local store for about 6 weeks but couldn't get it to work right.
I was using the 4 cable method and my amps loop wasn't comaptible with the G system inputs.
I followed "Lairds paper" to the letter but when I realised I needed impedance matchers for my loop I gave up on it.
I wanted to seperate delays and chorus fom boost and compression.

The store owner uses one with a Deville and It works great in that amps loop.....

Glad you are digging it because it allows you to use analog pedals but when and how you choose!
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:55 pm

The G System is a setup that takes, a bit of time, money, and effort to get working right. I looked into it with the RV50 and it seems my amps loop would be the downfall of that setup.

From what I've seen on the G System companies forum, it's almost as if it's tailored to work with Mesa amps.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:06 pm

i'm saving up for the hard wired edition

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:16 pm

MaxProphet wrote:i'm saving up for the hard wired edition

Thats the REAL spaghetti monster!
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Actually, effects loops be damned!

I'm using it straight into the front of my AD30TC combo! Johnny A. uses his straight into the front end of his Marshall JMP-1's. No effects loop necessary!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:25 am

i've never seen a humongous difference between running pedals in a loop or in front. i mean, there is, but not to the point where guys insist loops are the only way to go.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 am

I've never even owned an amp with a loop. haha.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:26 am

I hate using my loop on the RV50. Too much hassle and I can barely tell the difference anyway.

Same goes for my Hayden Mofo. I just run everything straight into the front.

If I were playing Prog or Shoegaze it may make a difference however for layered guitar rock and dirty grunge styles it isn't worth it.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:35 am

I'm gonna hook my Commodore 64 up to my rig and you're all gonna be jealous!