Rockerverb issue - Help!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:23 am

I was playing my RV50 combo and no sound is coming from it now. It was crackling a little bit and sounding like static in between songs then nothing at all. The power light is on though. I will be changing the tubes out. What is the chance of it being tubes? Maybe fuses or something?

Thanks!

-C

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:20 am

Guitar plugged in? Volume up? All your cables in working order? Check the fuses before you start doing anything else, although it would only be the power valve fuse. Then you might want to try changing the valves if that comes up with nothing.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:20 pm

Guitar is plugged in....had another guitarist plug in with his guitar and cable and nothing. Volume is up.

I will try the pv fuse and see what happens. Now I just have to find the fuse...Any idea what fuse it takes?

Thanks Joe.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:04 pm

Check fuses/ check to make sure all tubes are seated/ then I would try replacing a preamp tube- is it both channels?

strulle
Tiny Terror

Post by strulle » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:13 pm

i had the same problem .... you should check the fuses inside the amp there are a few . that habppend like 3 times with my RV100. if only these dudes could work like for a year at least that would be great!
Mitch

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:51 pm

Hey Billy. It is both channels. All tubes were seated. Last night, I replaced all tubes and will be biasing it tonight. Will change the fuses while I am at it.

Strulle...where are the fuses located?

I bought the amp new only a few months ago...so I hope I can resolve the issue without taking it to a tech. I have no backup....lol...
Thanks!

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Chris... ouch man! :( If it crackled before no sound... sounds like it just might be a tube to me. 'Cause, logically speaking, it would just die if it were a fuse. Are you replacing both power and pre-amp tubes? Good luck tonight.
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:47 pm

Probably tubes, probably one shorted out, which then could have taken out one of the internal fuses.

Before you start poking around inside that chassis, make sure you KNOW what you are doing. If you have even a slight doubt as to what you are doing, take it to a tech. There are lethal voltages inside that amp, even with it unplugged.

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:05 pm

I changed out preamp and power tubes. Have yet to bias it. Will do tonight.

One other question...if after biasing it, if the fuses are messed up could it do anything to the new tubes when powering it up? Probably a dumb question but I am asking it anyways...just trying to learn this stuff.

Thanks.

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CTC</i>
<br />I changed out preamp and power tubes. Have yet to bias it. Will do tonight.

One other question...if after biasing it, if the fuses are messed up could it do anything to the new tubes when powering it up? Probably a dumb question but I am asking it anyways...just trying to learn this stuff.

Thanks.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If a fuse popped, then no, it won't hurt your new tubes. the fuses prevent power from going through the tubes and/or out to other components. If your fuse blew because of a bad tube, it was to prevent that bad tube from damaging things further down the line.

You could turn the bias pot all the way to one side, and check to see if it works.

Staring down at the PCB, turn the pot counter-clockwise until it stops. This will bias it extremely cold, BUT, you should be able to get sound out of it with the volume around 9 o'clock.

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:30 pm

Thanks Kannibul. One other question...how many fuses are there and where are they located?

-C

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:21 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CTC</i>
<br />Thanks Kannibul. One other question...how many fuses are there and where are they located?

-C
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Fuses - LOTS - more than 5, if I remember correctly.
Where - mostly on the inside on the PCB. There are two for the power tubes on the outside.

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:58 am

I am trying to get a reading from the multimeter and bias rite and nothing is registering on the meter.

So this leads me to believe that the power valve fuses are shot. Correct?

-C

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:07 am

Yup

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:51 pm

ARGH! Changing out the power valve fuses didn't work either. New tubes, new power valve fuses. What next? I called Russell and he said there are no repair places in Connecticut. I am calling around now to find someone to do warrenty work. If I cannot or these places are willing to do the work, I will have to send it in to Orange....

-C