Boutique Pickup Winders

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Boutique Pickup Winders

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:41 pm

What experiences did you make? Sometime's it's really hard to judge a new pickup.
I think cap values and volume/ton pot values can make a big difference with different pickups.

Anway... my best purchases...

Bulldog Hot PAF Set:
Very Powerful and clear PU's
Great dynamics all, they clear up great and sound very good with
the tone pot dialed down. Harmonics all over the place. The best sound is the HOT PAF NECK with a phase split and turned back tone, so sweet and singing, you would't belive it. I installed these for FUN in my girlfriends guitar and she never won't let me touch them again. She had several sets over the years and this is also (and mine too) her fav.

The bridge was customized for my likings in tone. It's not so bassy but it cut's very nice without being too harsh.
Very in your face and very bringt - but on the nice side of bright. I mean bright, not brittle or harsh. I like the combination of dark amps and bright guitars/pickups a lot. If you chat with Hayden, he get's it "right" for your ears. Awesome!

While it's very hot, it retrains the string definition and does not sound sterile.
They sound bright and strong. Like a perfect mix of a vintage humbucker with a more modern tone. But not too modern. Very nice...

Also awesome crunch and string definition. They
overdrive nearly any amp, you don't need a boost but you can emulate lower output pickups if you turn them down.
They had the best workmanship i've came across.

Overall 9/10

Budz Purebredz:
First i had some trouble. Wrong cap values and far too high vol pot values.
I changed them from 500 to 250k and it worked. They don't sound very nice
with pure nickel strings, but with standard daddario they killed. The e-Mail
service was top by the way. Could not be better!

The package was very cool. The PU's were in two bag's made of some cloth...
One red and one black. I think this looks awesome. I mean i've never seen someone
before delivering them in such a package, no plastic crap here, just these sweet bags. Lovely! The pickups look very tasteful and nothing about them looks cheap. They even smell good... haha! I could smell some oil, wax and tabacco smoke. It't didn't smell ugly, more old and nice. I could imagine this old guy (preferably with a withe beard) at his desk crafting when i smelled that.

These are the most touch dynamic and touch sensitive pickups i've ever played.
At first i was kind of annoyed because this sound was so new for me. No pickups
sound the same. It took some time ... but that's sometims the thing. Some things grow.
Some get old really quick....

The neck PU is the clearest and best tele neck ever. So clear, so good.
The bridge is like the perfect lead pickup without any harshness going on. The middle position
is useful too and the balance between the two PU's is perfect. I think this is the most useable
tele neck pickup i've played.

They are a bit lower in output but thats no prob,
you can crank your amp a bit more because of that. They have something magic about
their tone going on. I always said, they feel like they have a soul. Like a guitar that's built with
a heart in mind, these pickups are very soulful. They cover almost any style and i think,
they work GREAT with pedals.

Overall 10/10
accept darkness.