Volume bost with a Rocker 30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

roob69x

Volume bost with a Rocker 30

Post by roob69x » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:19 am

BTW This amp has tone oozing out of the knobs.....but Within the context of my band , I am sometimes called upon for some fills. I bought an MXR micro amp but all it seems to do is overdrive the pre-amp. Not actually boost volume. I am fully aware of the non- EFX loop, but do I have any viable options?.. Rolling off volume on guitar kills high end during rhythym..... Volume pedal?.... Help!

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Re: Volume bost with a Rocker 30

Post by GummiTZ » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:27 am

Use a mid-boost. It will overdrive your preamp a little, but it will be better for soloboosts than a flat booster. Tubescreamers works perfectly.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 am

I like using a booster pedal or a light overdrive on the clean channel for solos. Cuts well, boosts the volume well, and it's a secret 3rd channel. Shhhhhh. ;)

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:22 am

Ahahahahahaha! Just kidding :wink:

This is a recurring theme here is all w/ no real cure for us max volume knob guys!

Volume pedal works the same way your volume works on your guitar so that won't work (as it will alter your fundamental tone). Dirt, Distortion, Fuzz, OD, Boosts, EQ's, etc only add more gain or compression (and alter your tone).

The best you could do is turn your gain down and run a semi-clean tone, boosting w/ a pedal for leads or whatever. The evil nature of the Orange is the very thing that draws you to it. It's warm, dark, organic, and notes are round rather than screechy. This also insures you will be lost in the mix come lead time :(

When you run the gain low and obtain boost from a pedal you are defeating the very reason some people buy Oranges... their lovely gain.

Wish I could help, but I have been long frustrated by this oft-lamented shortcoming that Orange has turned a deaf ear to...

Maybe next year!

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 am

Neiloler wrote:I like using a booster pedal or a light overdrive on the clean channel for solos. Cuts well, boosts the volume well, and it's a secret 3rd channel. Shhhhhh. ;)

Neil, your two recent posts about doing this has made the rocker 30 pull ahead in my ongoing "ad30 vs r30 what should I buy soon?" battle. It seems like a great idea, almost the same concept as the footswitchable boost in the higher end models (bypassing tone stack).

The only issue is if you're on the dirty channel you've gotta hit two switches at once. I always seem to get this right in practice but never at a gig. :lol:

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:29 am

indianDYsummer wrote:
Neiloler wrote:I like using a booster pedal or a light overdrive on the clean channel for solos. Cuts well, boosts the volume well, and it's a secret 3rd channel. Shhhhhh. ;)

Neil, your two recent posts about doing this has made the rocker 30 pull ahead in my ongoing "ad30 vs r30 what should I buy soon?" battle. It seems like a great idea, almost the same concept as the footswitchable boost in the higher end models (bypassing tone stack).

The only issue is if you're on the dirty channel you've gotta hit two switches at once. I always seem to get this right in practice but never at a gig. :lol:
Hit the overdrive first then the channel. The od won't change too much at all, then when you change channels...bam there you go.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 am

brianr0131 wrote:
indianDYsummer wrote:

Hit the overdrive first then the channel. The od won't change too much at all, then when you change channels...bam there you go.
Bingo, that's what I do most of the time (when I think about it in time to avoid the very-last-second-stomp).

taken
Tiny Terror

Post by taken » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:17 am

I suggest the Keeley Katana. It sounds amazing with the Rocker 30, gives a great volume boost without colouring the tone at all.

deepblue
Tiny Terror

Post by deepblue » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:10 pm

I use a TS808, or at times a Boss Enhancer (they dont make them anymore)
They just give me a slight nudge to rise above the mix while still maintaining my Orangeness! lol

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:30 pm

As Blackcloud says this is a frequently talked about topic and one which there is no easy answer - its all about sound compression -the more gain is added to sound the more compressed it becomes.

The overdrive channel on the Rocker is so good that it just seems wrong to set the gain lower than u like and in order to use a pedal for the boost to provide the right volume.

I occasionally use a separate boost pedal in conjunction with the clean channel ,so use the Rocker overdrive channel then switch to clean channel and press boost pedal for solo's. This provides the solo boost and u can set your pedal up to sound good for solos using the clean channel. The problem with this is theres a bit on pedal pressing so not spontaneous.

My favourite method is to use the guitar volume in conjunction with a low gain overdrive to boost the overdriven channel, Im using a MXR GT OD which works well but still there are occasions when I just cant get the volume I'm after.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:25 am

get an EQ pedal. the MXR 10-band or the Boss 7-band are great examples. set the mids and highs for a boost, and if it has a volume slider, you may wanna boost that slightly as well. this will make you cut through the mix more, instead of adding gain
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:17 am

Neiloler wrote:
brianr0131 wrote:Hit the overdrive first then the channel. The od won't change too much at all, then when you change channels...bam there you go.
Bingo, that's what I do most of the time (when I think about it in time to avoid the very-last-second-stomp).
Wasn't the Oler Audio Oleroo designed to switch a channel and pedal at the same time....? ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

roob69

Post by roob69 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Well after a little consideration, I am going to try Tonesonics Master Volume control.
http://www.tonesonics.com/Tonesonics_Master_Volume.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its basically a reverse volume control. I can set my volume low with the pedal on, turn it off for full volume. Same as a guitar volume control but it has a treble bleed circuit, so I wont lose the highs when its rolled off. Hey, at the very least I get a 30 day return policy if it doesn't perform. :D

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:34 pm

I was gonna build this very thing and never got around to it! Let us know how it turns out, very interested in this fo sho...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:36 am

roob69 wrote:Well after a little consideration, I am going to try Tonesonics Master Volume control.
http://www.tonesonics.com/Tonesonics_Master_Volume.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its basically a reverse volume control. I can set my volume low with the pedal on, turn it off for full volume. Same as a guitar volume control but it has a treble bleed circuit, so I wont lose the highs when its rolled off. Hey, at the very least I get a 30 day return policy if it doesn't perform. :D
interesting, i was looking around and i found an Electro-Harmonix pedal that does the same thing.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals