Top Wrapping?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Top Wrapping?

Post by howdy-doo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Just been reading a little bit about top wrapping, just incase anyone isn't aware of it, its when you string a gibson bridge backwards through the stop bar, instead of the normal way. What do you all think of the myths and stories about this way of stringing, it supposedly adds sustain, but thats only meant to be because you can lower the stop bar right to the body. Do any of you guys string like this?
Liam

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Top Wrapping?

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:33 pm

I would have thought it added sustain by increasing contact surface area between the string and bridge, but I've never tried it.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:43 pm

I top wrap.....I can't say I have noticed any difference in sustain but it does seem to make string tension a little less.
Some say it's like you can go up a string gauge but that is total exaggeration!

Most Les pauls if you screw the tailpiece down the E and B strings can touch the back of the bridge...there isn't a clean break......topwrapping eliminated this.

Just be prepared for it to mark the tailpiece though.........
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cain

Post by cain » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 am

been top wrapping for over 10 yrs. Can't honestly say if there is more sustain. I think it was Mr. Page who gave most of us the idea.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:10 pm

A friend of mine does it all the time and swears by it. To me, the angle over the saddles is so much flatter that it affects sustain.

BUT in the interest of science and tone, I'll restring my LP this way next time...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:26 pm

If you don't wish to mark your bridge, you can actually buy bridges with grooves on the top designed for this purpose nowadays!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC