the new bass amp from orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

joskamps

Post by joskamps » Mon May 19, 2003 4:49 pm

hello everybody,

Does anybody know how the new bass amp sounds? Because I'm looking for an Ampeg SVT classic Top. But maybe this new animal is better??! haha. I don't know, so please let me know!

greetz from Holland
Jos

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Thu May 22, 2003 4:04 pm

I've seen but not heard the new bass amp by Orange. If you decide to purchase the Ampeg , you know that you'll have to convert the power tubes to 6L6's or EL34's, because they don't make the 7027 tubes anymore.

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Fri May 23, 2003 9:29 pm

Hello Jos,

I heard, have seen and own a AD200B Basshead for one month now. I use the baby with a Fender USA Jazzbass, and as a cabinet a AMPEG SVT 410 HLF (extended ones). And I can't say one bad word over it. It's a fµcking beauty. What can I say about the sound. When orange says it's FAT, well, that it is, it's FAT. The tubes really do their job, and with the 5 pods you can change the tone the way you like. The bassamp has his specific tone, but it's exelent for what I want. But that depends on taste ofcourse. With the "gain" button, you can add that little, dirty, sharp, overdrive edge, and that's great. The pure "bass-tone" that comes out is huge, but you can cut it down if you want. Maybe not enough "high" tones if you need those, but I take that up with the tweeter in my cabinet and it works just fine.

A friend of me owns a AMPEG SVT 5 PRO head, and i don't want to trade. Not for the sound, and not for the looks either ;) (maby for the distortion channel on that one, but ... no)

Another thing, ... you say you want one, but I know they are verry hard to catch. Read my story some posts back on this forum, and you'll see I waited 6 months for my amp. And they told me the CUSTOM SHOP amps (hand made, point to point wired) are no longer in hand-production. Damian at the ORANGE-HQ told me they made only 90 of them and he also told me that the bassamps would go to "band-production", and maybe that goes faster, but I don't know if that's true ... I know another model for sale (#44 i think), at www.proguitar.de, a german musicstore.

So ... I just can say it's a beauty, and I don't want any ampeg ... But that's just a persons' taste. I couldn't find a ORANGE Bassamp in Belgium, Holland or "nearby-germany", ... So I decided to buy without hearing. Not wise to do, but it turned out great.

Succes in you quest, and get in touch if you have any questions. (en dat mag in het nederlands zijn hoor)

peter
- ORANGE AD200 BASS #083MK2 -

www.sixtoys.be
peter
AD200B-MKII (#083/090) / OBC810 (199x) / OBC410 (2006) / OD120 (1976) / ORANGE 'TOASTER' Micro-amp