Elixir strings

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Elixir strings

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:08 am

I just had m SG set up with Elixir nano-web light to heavy gauge put on. So far really like them. The heavy bottom strings add a little substance to the tone. I had elixir's put on my Taylor acoustic several months ago and they still sound great, like strings that have been played for a week. So I thought I'd give em a go on the electric. Might switch the rest of the herd over to them. I've been a D'Addario/Dean Markley user previously. Anybody else use these and had any problems with them?

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Re: Elixir strings

Post by howdy-doo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:00 pm

i've thought about using them a few times, but they're nearly 3 times more expensive, so i've not tried any just incase i didn't like them.
Liam

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Carvin puts the nanoweb's on their guit-fiddles. I didn't think I would like them but I really do. The nanos have a thinner coating on them. Both my carvins still have the first set(10-46) on them and they look and sound brand new. I bought 6 sets for back-up....I'll probably get a year or 2 out of those. They are worth it to me.
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:15 pm

I've used them for years on all my guitars, and I love them! I'm just glad I'm not a bass player anymore because $35 for a set of four (years ago, probably more now) was unreal.
I use them on my SG and they last and last. Great strings!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Have been a fan of them on my acoustics for years now, get great life out of them and they sound nice enough to my ears :D a tad more expensive than other strings, but for the extra life you get out of them I think it is worth the money as you don't change your strings as often.
Never tried them for the electric as I just can't not put Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's on my guitars, for some reason I just keep going back to them anytime I have ever tried to change brands :?
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:32 pm

I've used the acoustic Elixir strings, and they feel wonderful. I generally am too cheap to spring for them, but the few times I have (or have been given them by a friend, etc), I really enjoy them. A very soft feel to the strings that makes it even that much more enjoyable to play.

cain

Post by cain » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Good strings, been using them on an off for many years. They last longer than non-coated strings, whether they are better than other coated strings is debatable. I find that they work well with guitars that aren't used often. If some of your ax's aren't going to be used for a couple months or more I like to put on the Elixirs. If you are playing a lot you're probably going to want to change them every week or two. This makes the cost of them not worth it.
Nothing better than new strings on a guitar,(after they are broken in a bit and tuned properly). Out of the bag almost all of the name brands feel good. Bottom line, Pro's- Last a long time,feel great; Con's - Cost and the coating frays after a while.

damienwatt_au
Orange Master

Post by damienwatt_au » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:53 pm

had them on my guitar for as long as i can remember. they just last for so damn long!

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:01 pm

waste of money imo they may slow corrosion but not metal fatigue which is what really wears out/deadens strings. if the strings are under tension they are wearing out, played or not

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:40 am

Ernie Ball fan here... heavy bottoms rock.

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:41 am

misterfolkertsma wrote:Ernie Ball fan here... heavy bottoms rock.
+1

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:54 am

Sorry to derail the conversation, however I must point out I have alwaysused Elixir acoustic strings. They have a fantastic, bell like brightness to them. Has anybody used Ernie Ball pure nickel strings?

I have seen tem for sale on eBay but never locally. They are apparently great for 'vintage tone'.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:53 pm

I like the DR extra life strings better. They are cheaper and the wound strings are brighter to me. They come in colors (black red blue green) and also plain silver which i prefer because the colors start to wear off in the picking area relatively quickly. Even though the color wears I have never noticed any tone loss or anything.

When i was gigging a lot these would last me about 10 gigs (3 sets per gig) without any ill effects. I have always felt that Elixirs get kind of gunky (wound strings mainly) after 5 or 6 gigs.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:30 pm

I have them on my main guitar right now and even though they have already lasted quite longer than any other strings, I am starting to dislike the tone. There is something about the tone of those strings that is just losing it's appeal to me. Like they are overly bright or something. Or just not rounded enough. I can't quite explain it but I think it's more apparent on the wound strings. They have definitely gotten their usage for the money though.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

cain

Post by cain » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:31 pm

to; ou818 My guitar tech swears by nickel strings on my Strat with Lindy Fralins. I find them a little harder to bend with,but you get use to it. I don't find a big difference in tone but the techs ears are much better than mine!