They said it couldn't be done, but I killed my...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

They said it couldn't be done, but I killed my...

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm

...Shure SM58 :lol:

Seriously, the top of the ball head has had so much spit in it, it is totally brown with rust, and totally dented... at our gig on Tuesday night, I kicked over my mic stand and when I picked it back up, the fall had dislodged rust and it stuck all over my lips!! Ewwwww...

I've just spent the past hour trying to remove the ball head to put a replacement on, but it is rusted solid!! In the end I had to cut away the mesh, but the thread is still on and welded tight, haha... think I may have to retire this one from active duty and use it as a kind of 'SM57' in the studio only :mrgreen:
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Re: They said it couldn't be done, but I killed my...

Post by BrianGT » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Haha! You must be the first to kill one of those!! :lol:

I'm sure (sorry!) you got a lot of use out of it! :lol:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:11 pm

But wait. The mic still technically work right?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:25 pm

BrianGT wrote:Haha! You must be the first to kill one of those!! :lol:

I'm sure (sorry!) you got a lot of use out of it! :lol:
My trusty old '58 isn't working right now either! It has seen some real use / abuse though. It was already well battered when I got it probably sometime around '85. Ashamed to admit I've lost count of how often I've deliberately dropped it onto a carpet from shoulder height just to show how robust they are. Unfortunately last time it actually stopped working... :oops:
Orphin wrote:But wait. The mic still technically work right?
Teddys is apparently still working fine, yep. Just a bit of cosmetic rust and stuff.
Must get mine seen to too!

GREAT mics. Robust as hell, and you can can mic about anything with them and get a useful result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure_SM58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Now I'm the exception that proved the rule. I've got loads of gear thats been on the road off and on for ten or even twenty or more years, but I have a terrible success rate with SM57s and 58s.

I've had 3 SM58s and I still have the third as a spare or for harmonica players that like to cup the ball :oops: The others died after a reasonable time. I've had two SM57s and they both crapped out quickly (one after only light use in 8 months). I no longer buy 57s or 58s because the nostagia for old gear doesn't go into mics for me. I really rate the Beta 57a as a great voice or instrument mic though and have 3 in regular use.

Teddy, try to apply some WD40 to the threads only in small amounts over a couple of days. After that time/soak it may be possible to put a towel around the rough edge and twist the fekker off. New mesh ends are available and may not even have to be Shure brand :wink: I keep spare mesh heads for vocal mics and swape them to clean them in washing up liquid one in a while, make sure they are very very dry before getting them near the mic diaphram again. The foam inserts will eventually die too so replacement heads once in a while is just good maintenance practice.
Here we go; three, four...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:55 pm

Well, I suppose it technically still works... totally useless for vocals in its current state though!

A sound guy recently complained to me because mine sounded very muffled compared to his - probably due to the layers of rust, congealed spittle and mould growing inside, haha! Mine in definitely a genuine one, as I got it from GAK who are a large, mainstream Shure dealership.

Now, if I can get this ring off... hmm. I will try WD40 and perhaps even deoxit! Oh, the other thing is the foam part of the element inside is totally moulded up so I had to remove that too ;)

I have a pair of official Shure ball heads that I bought as backups, so once it's actually off I'm golden... if it ever comes off ;)

Otherwise, perhaps it's time to invest in a new mic! I used to use an Electro-Voice N/D767a, which I loved but it got stolen and I decided to plump for a 58 mainly because sound engineers at low level venues are familiar with them and I've had a couple kick up a fuss about re-EQing for different mics...
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:19 pm

You should get a patent and market it...there are probably a ton of bands
out there looking for the exact sound it now produces....You will be rich beyond
your wildest dreams!

:D :D :D :D
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Great idea Mark! Teddy Hesper Signature SM58, with 'reliced' grille and authentic smell... yours for only 500 bucks! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:23 pm

and if autographed it will be a grand!
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:45 pm

That's quite an impressive feat Teddy! :lol:
I can imagine it gets quite a beating from you... :mrgreen:
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image