AD30HTC tubes

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Matt_V

AD30HTC tubes

Post by Matt_V » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:13 am

Hey guys, I'm looking to change the tubes in my AD30 for the first time in a few years and I'm looking for opinions on what fellow AD30 owners think sounds best. Judging by what I've read so far, I'm pretty sold on the JJ EL84's, but I'm still on the fence about which pretubes to use. I play rock/pop stuff along the lines of Cartel, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, etc. so I'm looking for something that will give me a good bite on the distortion channel without getting muddy in the lower range (we play in drop C sharp, so it's gotta be crisp), as well as nice, bright highs on the clean channel. I've also read quite a bit about people using a different tube in V1 as opposed to the rest to really shape their sound how they like it. What are some of your opinions on that? Also, (last question, sorry!) I've read that replacing the rectifier tube with a solid-state rectifier helps to tighten up the sound considerably. Anyone have any experience with this? Sorry again for all the questions, and thanks for any advice!