Pink Floyd tones with an AD 30??

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Pink Floyd tones with an AD 30??

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:17 am

bassdrop wrote:My understanding is that the end-all for a super clean drop in for an EL84 is the SV83. Sovtek and JJ both make them I think. They are of Russian origin and used in single ended triode hifi amps like the Decware Zen.
They supposedly cannot handle as much voltage as the EL84, and I think the AD30 is pretty hard on power valves to begin with. It would be nice to know if they will work, but I'm not sure if anyone's tried them with the AD30 or other Oranges.

the dirty tricks
Tiny Terror

Post by the dirty tricks » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 am

I reckon you could nail that outro with an AD30, my bet would be to almost max channel one, then add in gain as you go and work the two dials until you find the right mix of volume and tone.

Could be a winner.....the ad30 will never do a completly clean sound, but it may give you the flexibility to have a little more grit available without the need for a stomp box or a new set of ear drums (which would definatley be required if you cranked a hiwatt up into overdrive!).

Just to confuse things a little more, you could look into getting a AD140 second hand? never played one myself but heard loads of em'......I reckon this could solve the headroom issue?

Good luck!

Andy

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:37 am

the orangewizard wrote:OK,I've got a clip that'll settle this.Please go to 8:05,or enjoy the whole song,but the OUTRO chords are the best example I can think of as to the clean tone I want to be able to get.I definitely want an ORANGE for the other things they can do,but.......will the AD30,or Rocker 30 get me closer to Gilmour's outro here??? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mJQGMqJvw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I gave it a listen and I hear a Strat through a Fender in my head. I know it's probably a Hiwatt, but it has that clean, bass-heavy, percussive sound normally associated with Strats through Fender amps. I just don't think anyone can listen to that and say an Orange is the best amp to achieve that sound. The Rockerverb's clean channel can probably come closest to that level of cleanliness out of anything Orange currently makes. The forthcoming Thunder 30 purports to have a very pristine clean channel based on the Rockerverb 50, so you might wait a month or so and try one when they hit stores. Teddy from Le Chat Noir highly recommends the new Thunder 30, by the way :wink: .

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:29 am

And my Twin Reverb suggestion still stands. :lol:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 am

Randy Bass wrote:
the orangewizard wrote:OK,I've got a clip that'll settle this.Please go to 8:05,or enjoy the whole song,but the OUTRO chords are the best example I can think of as to the clean tone I want to be able to get.I definitely want an ORANGE for the other things they can do,but.......will the AD30,or Rocker 30 get me closer to Gilmour's outro here??? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5mJQGMqJvw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I gave it a listen and I hear a Strat through a Fender in my head. I know it's probably a Hiwatt, but it has that clean, bass-heavy, percussive sound normally associated with Strats through Fender amps. I just don't think anyone can listen to that and say an Orange is the best amp to achieve that sound.
+1
Its a fantastic sound from a fantastic player, but not typical Orange tonality at all. Of the two though (AD30 or R.30) I'd say you could probably get closer with the R.30s drive channel set to clean. The EQ could get you in the ballpark and keeping the gain low would get you that really clean punch. The AD30 is just too spongy / compressed to give that at any substantial volume.
Teddy from Le Chat Noir highly recommends the new Thunder 30, by the way :wink: .
Yeah I noticed!
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LOL! :lol:
baytamusic wrote:And my Twin Reverb suggestion still stands. :lol:
And my Hiwatt one. :wink:
That is (of course) exactly what was used on Animals...
http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For more Hiwatt goodness, this time with a Gibson (and Fender bass) you just need to check out some vintage Who. Just found tons of stunning video today on YouTube (with great sound!) of them playing Tanglewood in 1970. Spread the word people...

Amazing Journey / Sparks If you don't want to listen to the whole medley, go to about 3:15 or 5:20 and see how some fantastic distortion sounds are just a tiny tweak away from great cleans. IMO many of the greatest overdriven rock guitar sounds are much lower gain than most people realise. Oh and the Hiwatt powered bass playing from the Ox speaks for itself. Brilliant...

Young Man Blues from the same gig shows why The Who around then were probably the hottest live band many people ever saw. Wish I had. Oh man, I think I may just lose myself for a few hours here... :D

Hiwatt. Not Fender. :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:35 am

Hugh

Think i'd probably reiterate my suggestions... if it's just Floyd tones like the one you linked to that you're after, you might be better off looking elsewhere. If you're doing other stuff, then an AD30 might be a good choice. Your call though...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 pm

It's okay to discover that an Orange might not be the perfect tool for your tone. :oops:

It happens - to a lot of us, particularly when we are leaning towards a more clean tone in general - which Gilmour certainly does. I traded my Orange for this exact reason. I found something else that worked better for me. I also discovered that with fantastic clean tone - you can get a ton of different dirty tones with the right pedals - but without that clean pallette to work with - you're kind of stuck with what you've got. SO, a lot has to do with how flexible you want your rig to be, IMO.

I don't believe the part in the clip was anything other than single coils through a Hiwatt - might have been a Tele from what I hear - or maybe that's just an artifact of my cheap computer speakers! :| And in that clip you can hear what Andy was originally talking about - the almost perfect evenness of the frequency response - not at all Fenderrish, IMO.

In any event, can't you try out an AD30 head for 30 days from somewhere and find out?
Greg

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:22 am

Yeah guys,but I also want this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JybkqBGrVs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THAT is not in a Twin without pedals!!! :lol:
Hugh

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 am

the orangewizard wrote:Yeah guys,but I also want this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JybkqBGrVs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THAT is not in a Twin without pedals!!! :lol:
Or a Hiwatt either... :lol:

Though...
fiveightandten wrote:You know what they say...if you want a great sounding Vox, buy a Vox. If you want a great sounding Fender, buy a Fender. If you want a great sounding Marshall...buy a Hiwatt. ;)

-Nick
Heh heh!
Norrin Radd wrote:It's okay to discover that an Orange might not be the perfect tool for your tone. :oops:

In any event, can't you try out an AD30 head for 30 days from somewhere and find out?
Yep. Thing is that no matter how good no one amp will do everything on its own. Not an Orange, or even a Hiwatt. (Though the latter can get closer to most, especially with a little help.) I guess that is why it is good to grab more than one amp when you are able to. Meantime, yeah why not give an AD30 a good tryout? What it does it does really well, and there aren't many more satisfying amps to play out there. Only reason I don't own one myself is I've got a couple of others which'll get closer to what I want and need from my amps. Well... that and the back hernia op. a few years back and the three flights of stairs! :oops:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Randy Bass wrote:Teddy from Le Chat Noir highly recommends the new Thunder 30, by the way :wink: .
:roll:
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

the orangewizard
Orange Master

Post by the orangewizard » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:02 pm

UPDATE-Welp,decided to order 1 of these in the meantime...shipped out today!! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQKFYeWlp8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can always be thinking about a larger,all tube while I'm enjoying my new toy! :idea:
Hugh

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 am

First off i think Gilmour is one of the best at attaining his "own" sound and it is unbelieveable when you hear it on any of the recordings or live material. Thing is tho he uses SOOOO much stuff to get that sound.

If i had any recommendation for you it would be to start with a strat with low to medium output pups (see toneriders page and the pure vintage strat pups for example) and just try amps out. A vintage voiced amp will be best suited but your never gonna hit it on the mark IMHO. I played an ad30tc a few months back and really enjoyed it. I think you could get somewhere close with it alright but im afraid your gonna get "somewhere close" with nearly every amp you try including HIWATTs

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; i found this although i'd say you probably have seen it already

best thing IMO is grab your guitar and go testing amps and use your ears

Happy hunting

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr