Orange Crush 50 BXT - compressor/limiter ???

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

maomao

Orange Crush 50 BXT - compressor/limiter ???

Post by maomao » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi to everybody,

I'm new here. Bought a Orange Crush 50BXT few days ago, really good sounding little combo. I know all you have big valve set but... well let me ask a thing...

Question: Is there any kind of compression/limiting built inside the OC 50BXT ???
When I tried it in the shop it was a noisy ambient so I didn't notice that, but at home I hear somekind of "limiting fx" playing my bass.

thanks in advance for you kind reply.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange Crush 50 BXT - compressor/limiter ???

Post by a.hun » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:48 am

Hi maomao, welcome!

Don't know but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was some sort of automatic compressor / limiter built in. That makes sense as protection for the speaker. Thing is that with solid state amps if you push the power amplifier section too hard (turn it up too loud) you get a type of distortion called 'hard clipping'. (Valve amps give a much safer 'soft clipping' distortion when turned right up.)

Hard clipping is really good at blowing speakers, even ones rated well above the amps power output rating. And it can happen very quickly so you may know nothing about it before your speaker becomes toast.

For that reason, especially on less powerful s.s. amps where you may well be tempted to turn it up a bit too much, it is actually a definite plus. My 100W Ampeg combo definitely seems to have something along those lines, though being well sorted it isn't really noticable.

If you are pushing the amp hard enough to really notice a strong compression / limiting effect you likely need a more powerful amp. 50W really isn't a lot for bass. It is basically good for solo practice and recording, but nothing much louder than moderately quiet group practice work. Bass amps simply need more power than guitar amps to hold their own against a loud drummer or guitarist. 50W s.s. for bass is probably going to struggle against a pushed valve guitar amp above about 15-20W, or a 30W solid state one for that matter. And it definitely won't compete with a loud drummer. (Why don't they all have volume knobs? :roll: )

Still, good to hear the amp sounds good. I see Orange have just come up with a 1x15 100W s.s. bass combo too. That could be interesting too.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

gnosticbass
Tiny Terror

Post by gnosticbass » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm looking forward to the new 100 watt Crush Bxt 100.

maomao

Post by maomao » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks for you answer. This Orange Crush 50BXT is really what I was looking for. It has an amazing warm and full round tone, really love it. I think that the "limiter fx" I feel is probably only in my mind... and I really hope they put something to avoid blowing up the speaker.

At the moment I use it at home, and ... a quarter of volume is loud enough to make my neighboor want to kill me. But who cares... they're noisy like hell... just a cold revenge.

This little box really shines ! I'll be Orange forever.

gnosticbass
Tiny Terror

Post by gnosticbass » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:13 am

I feel the same way about my Orange Crush 35B. I have a much bigger rig I play out with but as far as daily practice its the Crush more often then not. However I do like the upgrades in the BXT series. The Crush series doesn't get much love on the forum but for what these amps are I have always liked them.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:21 am

I've got a Crush 35B as well and it is pretty impressive in terms of tone and volume. I was able to use it to practice with a four-piece band (2 guitars), but just barely. You might consider upgrading the speaker like I did, as it made me less afraid to push the volume near the limit. I'd recommend the Eminence BassLite S2012.

maomao

Post by maomao » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Randy Bass wrote:... I'd recommend the Eminence BassLite S2012.
Eminence BassLite S2012 technical specifications says "Recommended for bass guitar. Ideal in vented 1X, 2X, and 4 X12 enclosures". I don't think the O.C. 50 BXT cabinet is vented at all...

But I don't need to push my O.C. to the limit at the moment... when it will be time I'll simply upgrade to something more powerful... I like to use things how they're designed for.

Anyway Celestion does good speaker... so a warm BL12-200X or a punchy BN12-300S can be used I think.

gnosticbass
Tiny Terror

Post by gnosticbass » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks Randybass for the info I may do that with my 35B.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:30 am

maomao wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:... I'd recommend the Eminence BassLite S2012.
Eminence BassLite S2012 technical specifications says "Recommended for bass guitar. Ideal in vented 1X, 2X, and 4 X12 enclosures". I don't think the O.C. 50 BXT cabinet is vented at all...
If you are concerned about that point, there are plenty of other bass and pro audio drivers available from Eminence. I do have BassLites in two 4x12 cabs - one sealed and one front-ported. The sealed cab sounds better.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:32 am

gnosticbass wrote:Thanks Randybass for the info I may do that with my 35B.
You might need a Dremel to clearance the cutout a bit, just to warn you.

tastybass

Post by tastybass » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I like this amp. It is perfect size and feels like the right amount of watts for me use. But the compressor/limiter thing backs it down too much and the "squishy" feeling drives me a little batty. I'd really like to get closer to the full power of this amp without engaging that function.

So is it the general belief the compressor/limiter function on the 50BXT is something that can be defeated with a much higher rated speaker? (S2012 is rated at 150 watts and 300 watts at program power.) If so, this might be the perfect fix for my application. Not worried about warranty. Amp is probably over 4 years old I think.

Has anyone tried this mod yet? I'd love to drop a Basslite S2012 in it and have success.

Thoughts?