OT: Guitar pet hates

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

howdy-doo
Orange Master

OT: Guitar pet hates

Post by howdy-doo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:22 pm

i made this topic because earlier today i saw my sisters guitar, and she hadn't trimmed the strings at the headstock, so the extra bit of string was just sticking out, i asked her why she didn't trim it and she said it didn't really bother her. Now on my guitars i hate having the extra bit of string hanging out, i don't know why, i just like having them neat, is this the same with you guys? or am i just weird :lol:
Liam

Ohara
Orange Master

Re: OT: Guitar pet hates

Post by Ohara » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:24 pm

nope you are not weird, I hate it also when people don't trim the strings off when they change them, with the exception of being in the middle of a gig that is :)
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

zoink

Post by zoink » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:34 pm

yea I really don't understand why some people just leave the extra bit hanging..maybe its a new style for these kids..

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:55 pm

I prefer them cut as well, and I usually leave a bit past the post and wind the excess in the opposite direction for some reason.

philhed
Rocker

Post by philhed » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:13 pm

zoink wrote:yea I really don't understand why some people just leave the extra bit hanging..maybe its a new style for these kids..
yeah i always feel so dangerous: don´t touch me or one of your eyes might be hurt 8)

no...but i never cut them......maybe i´m too lazy :roll:

don´t hate me :)

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 pm

I like 'em curled... :P
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 pm

I cut them off for improved tone. ;)

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm

I'll admit that the string thing does bother me, which brings me to my other issue. Stickers. I have no problem with punk guys and even some metal guys having stickers on their guitar but their are some nice guitars with the pin-up gal sticker that just gets under my skin. I personally find guitars on their own merit as a thing of beauty and the uncut strings and stickers detract....

But hell, what do I know? I was a 20 something wearing bowling shirts, a fidora and playing the blues at one point. I'm not above any guitar pet peeve offender being one myself. :lol:
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:32 pm

It always bugs me whenever some guitarist starts playing and quickly slides from a random note out of key past the twelfth fret down to the nut for no apparent reason before playing any actual melody. To me, it dooms the performance right before it starts.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:I'll admit that the string thing does bother me, which brings me to my other issue. Stickers. I have no problem with punk guys and even some metal guys having stickers on their guitar but their are some nice guitars with the pin-up gal sticker that just gets under my skin. I personally find guitars on their own merit as a thing of beauty and the uncut strings and stickers detract....

But hell, what do I know? I was a 20 something wearing bowling shirts, a fidora and playing the blues at one point. I'm not above any guitar pet peeve offender being one myself. :lol:
i dislike stickers on guitars too, only on certain guitars though, i think some look good on relic guitars, but i dislike them on pristine guitars, or ones with just a 'normal' finish
Liam

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Totally agree, I always cut them. I even pre-cut them (to an extent) because it makes it easier to string up without all that extra length getting in the way.

And obviously for a Fender with a "vintage-style" posts, you have to cut them before. But even with my Gibson and my acoustic where I could leave extra, I don't, I hate it.
- Nathan

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:52 pm

My cousin does this as he believes that it makes him somehow cooler. He also leaves repair tags on his case for the same reason. I once was almost electrocuted because of his excess string touching a metal ceiling fan pull chain which happened to be on the same circuit as the receptacle his modded (ie, ground prong removed for NOS tone) Fender Twin. Good times...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Post by voodoorider » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Yeeeeap annoys me too.. not only is it visually distracting, even when i'm roughly tuning each string while re-stringing the clattering does my head in :shock:

One of my old guitar tutors used to fold his away from the headstock and then back in somehow to create a little triangular shape.. can never quite figure out what it was he did, but it was always uniform, and his headstock look kinda like a devil scarab or something.. was kinda cool with no wibbly bits :)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 pm

If you've ever leaned over mid-gig to talk to the jackass in the band who doesn't cut the strings off and gotten poked in the face with one you'd realise how fast you can throw someone out of a band...

RickenBangler
Orange Hero

Post by RickenBangler » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:39 pm

+1 to the string-trimmers... but it's all rock'n roll and if you want to leave them dangly then that's your call. I used to (c 1976) leave enough to stick a fag on the end for additional coolness - "yeah I rock - just check out the burnt timber effect headstock" 8)
nice guitars with the pin-up gal sticker
A certain fellow Ric-ster in the form of a certain Mr Buck perchance?
Not for me though - I let my guitar get the message across in her own way - it's a personal thing...

Hmmm, just realised my guitar's a female - hey ho...

Cheers,

RB
CR60C+PPC112 Mini Stack
Rickenbacker 620/6 JetGlo | G&L Fallout | Fender P-Bass
MarkBass Micromark 801
Past Orange Relationships Micro Crush | Crush CR35LDX | Tiny Terror | OR15/PPC112

The Provocateurs Bandcamp