"Fool" questions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Blainy
Orange Master

"Fool" questions

Post by Blainy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:46 pm

I'd love to have a Fool in my collection. So I have two questions:
1) Anybody know how much an Ed Roman Gibson costs?

2) Anybody have playing experience of the Vintage VS6MRF? Mid-priced guitar, looks really pretty (not everyone's taste I know, and not a completely faithful reproduction of the original, but then what would be?)

Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks, guys!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: "Fool" questions

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:03 pm

I have a standard Vintage VS6 and after a pickup, nut and tuner swap it's a more than reasonable guitar! Nice thin neck. It poops all over the Epi G200 I once owned.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:I have a standard Vintage VS6 and after a pickup, nut and tuner swap it's a more than reasonable guitar! Nice thin neck. It poops all over the Epi G200 I once owned.
I guessed the tuners wouldn't be Grover standard. Good to know the fundamentals are sound. I'm hoping to have that kinda cash to drop on a guitar later this year. The only dilemma is that when we host jam nights, folk sometimes wanna borrow the guitar. I lent the Lester once, but my heart was in my mouth.

Maybe I should get something a bit battered but good to play......want a Fool though......decisions, decisions!

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Used Vintage axes go for crazy low prices on Ebay used, mine was 120 quid second hand and it was ready loaded with a pair of SD Seth Lovers! Basically at that price it was a set of second hand pickups with a free guitar ;) I sold the Seths on in favour of some Bareknuckle Warpigs and then settled on a Tonerider Alnico IV set, which sound great in it - would recommend them, for sure.

As far as tuners go, I found that Kluson's Mosrite-style tuners (SD9005MNS) fit perfectly without alterations to the screw holes and hold tuning very well. They can be had for about 30 quid a set in some places.

I have used wire wool and fine sandpaper to take the nasty gloss finish off mine, it now looks a bit like a Gibson 'faded' finish. Much nicer, and I wasn't too worried about making a mistake as the guitar was so cheap!!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:Used Vintage axes go for crazy low prices on Ebay used, mine was 120 quid second hand and it was ready loaded with a pair of SD Seth Lovers! Basically at that price it was a set of second hand pickups with a free guitar ;) I sold the Seths on in favour of some Bareknuckle Warpigs and then settled on a Tonerider Alnico IV set, which sound great in it - would recommend them, for sure.

As far as tuners go, I found that Kluson's Mosrite-style tuners (SD9005MNS) fit perfectly without alterations to the screw holes and hold tuning very well. They can be had for about 30 quid a set in some places.

I have used wire wool and fine sandpaper to take the nasty gloss finish off mine, it now looks a bit like a Gibson 'faded' finish. Much nicer, and I wasn't too worried about making a mistake as the guitar was so cheap!!
Thanks Teddy - great recommendations. I can't see me using the wire wool on a Fool, but the pickup and tuner suggestions could well come into their own. With the Klusons, it's a big plus not to have to drill new holes. I'm happy drilling into a wall, but not a guitar!

mmsb13
Orange Hero

Post by mmsb13 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:50 am

Blainy wrote:I'd love to have a Fool in my collection. So I have two questions:
1) Anybody know how much an Ed Roman Gibson costs?

Any info would be gratefully received. Thanks, guys!
STAY AWAY FROM ED ROMAN!!!
I did business with him once, put a $1000 deposit down on a custom Rickenbacker guitar order with him. Never got the guitar. . . never got the deposit back. I hope he dies a horrible death and rots in hell.

He "went" out of business, claimed bankruptcy, sold the "Ed Roman" name to someone else and reopened under it again. Anyone with waiting orders, were SCREWED. Monies were kept and nothing delivered.

Read this:
http://tribes.tribe.net/soukousguitar/t ... 44e0ddd54e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And he lost his Rickenbacker dealer status. . . thank goodness at least he can't rip off any more Rickenbacker customers.

He sucks!
40th Anniversary OR50H & PPC412-LTD
Rickenbacker 370/6 VP JG & 370/12 VP FG
and other gear. . .

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:01 am

I got the impression from my research that if you want to kill him, you'd be 3546th in the queue.

Think if I do it I'll buy and Vintage and upgrade as necessary!

Alan
Orange Hero

Post by Alan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:25 pm

I spotted a tasty Tokai SG painted up with the fool stuff on eBay UK earlier today - not sure when it's finishing but it didn't have much interest. If it's a MIJ one, then the price is pretty good too!

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eric-Clapton-Crea ... 4cf065bc3a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just visited their website - it's a USG35 (Chinese model). Fares slightly better than the Epi G400 in my opinion, but you're still paying mega bucks for the paint job. I'd stick to the Vintage one!
Last edited by Alan on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

voodoorider
Tiny Terror

Post by voodoorider » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 am

Years ago i looked into Ed Roman too.. The simple fact that he couldn't help but slag off other guitars and how poor they are in comparison to his was enough to let me know the guy is an ass :) he strikes me as a greasy car salesman type.. only but for guitars.