How many of you don't own an Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Taronja
Orange Master

Re: How many of you don't own an Orange?

Post by Taronja » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 pm

iv owned a Vintage early 70's OR (sold it :oops: )

and an RV50 (not for me, but a great amp)

currently NO Orange amp, but i am the proud owner of a fantastic PPC412-E :D

oh, and i have an Orange footswitch :wink:

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:43 pm

i have my TT, and i love the dark, middy stuff it comes out with. different for church music, lots of people think it doesn't "work", but it goes against the grain and everyone who told me it wouldn't work is really surprised when they see that it really sounds good and different.
jpish0t wrote:why are you guys on the forum then? or are you on many forums like this?
i found this place originally looking for an orange and ended up with one, but there's probably a few reasons - it's a fairly small community (tho it's grown even since i've been around), it's got tons of really good info (not just about oranges) and it's not strictly to orange-speak. lots'o'good minds on this.

you don't HAVE to have/play orange to be on this forum. not like that!
TESLA_EL34 wrote:amps too dark?

get high quality cables, many people are using crappy cables,
i'm pretty sure that oranges are just dark in tone, and while ya - a good cable can save you highs, from what i've read, they won't make an orange a fender/vox/etc. oranges are dark in tone, no? that's what they're known as being, ya? am i wrong?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:58 pm

jpish0t wrote:why are you guys on the forum then? or are you on many forums like this?
Because we've been here since we had Oranges, and this is just a great gear-related forum with good people and minimal flaming/trolling, so we stick around. There's a lot of knowledge about all types of gear here, not just Orange, without a lot of the snobbery and bickering that happens on forums like The Gear Page.

To answer the OP, I no longer own an Orange. I had an AD30 and 2x12, which had to be sold to help fund moving from MI to CT, as well as to make room in the truck.
- Nathan

lamp
Tiny Terror

Post by lamp » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

I used to have an RV50H which I loved dearly but unfortunately it wasn't what I needed for the band at the time and I couldn't really justify having such an expensive amp just lying around and not being used. Biggest gear regret ever, getting rid of that - I'd much rather have it back instead of my Marshall now.
I also had a TT at one point, but never really gelled with it and like the Blackstar HT-5 better, so that went too.
I do still have my Orange 2x12 and 1x12 cabs though.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:28 pm

I have a TT and AD30htc but that's not necessarily why I come here.

Originally I bought the TT on a whim after I demoed it, not knowing a thing about Orange. I hung around pretty much in blues circles up to that point so most experiences favored Fender and not much else. After I bought the TT I was hooked and started looking for another major giging amp, which led me to the AD. I read the forums for close to a year before I ever posted but by that time I realized that most of the folks on here are genuine and very helpful.

Great people and great knowledge base is why I'm here. I can play my amps without the forum.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Orange amps are dark, it's a fact. Try a Vox amp and you'll see what I mean. A Vox will tend to be too bright, but it's always easier to roll off highs and precence than getting it when it doesn't exist.
But yes, crappy accessories can ruin your tone too, but that's a newbie mistake. :P
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 pm

neonrust wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:How many of you don't own an Orange?

Owned enough and played plenty. They just didn't get me exactly what I needed unfortunately. The Rocker 30 was my favorite though.
Oh my God, you're J.P. Prewett - the World's Greatest Hand Model!

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Orphin wrote:
Orange amps are dark, it's a fact. Try a Vox amp and you'll see what I mean. A Vox will tend to be too bright, but it's always easier to roll off highs and precence than getting it when it doesn't exist.
But yes, crappy accessories can ruin your tone too, but that's a newbie mistake. :P
I have an AV4TV and i know what you mean!
I can be too bright with telecasters, but it's beautiful with humbuckers and less brighter pickups/guitars.

I mean, yes the orange amps are dark, that's true, but the signal chain is extremely important if you play an already dark amp.
I also own a Matamp GT1 and i don't think it's too dark :mrgreen:
accept darkness.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Played through a few Oranges back in the day. Bought a TT when they came out and loved it but found it unsuitable for anything (other than the odd jam) outside the house. The cleans were not to my likeing and the headroom lacked too. But that roar was infectious. I couldn't justify that in a third amp and so it had to go in favour of a tool I could use more. Yes I find modern Orange amps a bit dark, I also don't like many other modern amp designs so call me a luddite. Would I buy another Orange? I've not ruled out that possibility ;-)

I hang out here because I found the vibe acceptable and the general lack of flame a pleasant supprise. You're nice people and I'm glad to be amongst you.
Here we go; three, four...

sixstringstrangler
Tiny Terror

Post by sixstringstrangler » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 pm

i have owned 4 matamps and on tuesday i will be come a proud owner of orange number 3 a 73 OR120, i no longer have the other 2 (or80 and ad30tch). at the moment i have one matamp retro gto120 and a black orange 4x12, so i think i'm in the right forum....hehehe

BLS
Rocker

Post by BLS » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:15 pm

That's awesome sixstringstrangler! Can't wait to see that OR120!!

I have owned:

Orange TT
Orange Rocker 30 combo
several 1x12 and 2x12 cabs

I now own

AD140
40th Anniversary OR 50
1 Orange 4x12 and 2x12

Looking for a OR120

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:28 pm

i have a rocker 30 and will ever get rid of it. although I am currently bloated w/GAS for an ac30hh or h head or combo. really not diggin'my super rever at this point. ac4? that might cure me for a while.
Rain..Ammunition

sixstringstrangler
Tiny Terror

Post by sixstringstrangler » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 am

BLS wrote:That's awesome sixstringstrangler! Can't wait to see that OR120!!

I have owned:

Orange TT
Orange Rocker 30 combo
several 1x12 and 2x12 cabs

I now own

AD140
40th Anniversary OR 50
1 Orange 4x12 and 2x12

Looking for a OR120

sweet amps bro!, where in michigan are you located? if your in the metro detroit area pm me!

BLS
Rocker

Post by BLS » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 am

PM sent ^

sixstringstrangler
Tiny Terror

Post by sixstringstrangler » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 am

BLS wrote:PM sent ^
i'm gonna have to try out your or50! i almost bought one...