How many of you don't own an Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

Re: How many of you don't own an Orange?

Post by Wired » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:12 am

TESLA_EL34 wrote:amps too dark?

get high quality cables, many people are using crappy cables,
with long cable runs into the amp. not to mention the ultra chepo patch cables.
you invest so much money in the amps, cabs and all the stuff, but a good cable
makes always a difference. even if i plug my guitar straight into my soundcard,
it's a huge difference if i use my evidence or a sommer cable. using long cable runs is like
and or cheap cables is like rolling of your tone-kob. it works like a pot if you have tele
for example.

cables have a huge impact on the high end response (also in the mids and bass), so do yourself a favour and buy some good cables. there's no voodoo about it.

this is for more important for any darker amp, because you need all the highend you can possibly retrain.
and even if you plug straight into the amp a good cable will make a difference. same for the speaker
cable and patch cables.

i suggest using a buffer pedal for longer cable runs. it's easy: if i run the amp with 6 effects and a bunch of longer cables and there's no buffer, i loose so much highend, that my guitar sounds like crap when it's plugged into an already darker amp. if i activate my buffer and not too dark.

other imporant factory are the speakers. there are bright ones and dark ones. you could try a brighter
speaker with a darker amp.

another thing you can try is changing the pre and powertubes. get something brighter like tung sol or eh in the pre for example.

another option is, the pickups in your guitar have not enough high end.
you can try different strings and picks too. i have a telly that was so bright,
i just switched the strings to pure nickels and the problem was solved forever.

greetings,

tesla

ahhh mumbo jumbo for the most part. I do think there is a diff between the basic cables you find with the case and stuff. But my Fulltone or Dimarzio cable compared to a Yorkville sound cable is an incredibly minimal difference. Even measured for resistance you find such a minimal difference that the difference in tone is only distinguishable in your head (we tried this at the shop, .02 diff in resistance between the Fulltone and a Yorkville sound cable, both 15 meter variety)

Yes longer runs, pedals, cheap patch cables do make a difference.

But Orange amps are naturally dark. It is how they are voiced from the factory. Which is why they sound so awesome with Tele's! But compare an AD30 to an AC30 and you will soon see how dark the Orange really is. Which is why I loved running them in stereo! :twisted:
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

BLS
Rocker

Post by BLS » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:24 pm

jord123 wrote:i have a rocker 30 and will ever get rid of it. although I am currently bloated w/GAS for an ac30hh or h head or combo. really not diggin'my super rever at this point. ac4? that might cure me for a while.
Have you tried the AC15? The reason I ask is becouse a friend of mine that plays a 68 Plexi and Metro has a AC30 and has used my friends AC15 instead of the 30 in the studio (likes it better than his 30). I told him to stop F....ing around and just get a AD30 for there new album :lol:

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 am

Wired wrote:

it's a huge difference if i use my evidence or a sommer cable. using long cable runs is like
and or cheap cables is like rolling of your tone-kob. it works like a pot if you have tele
for example.

cables have a huge impact on the high end response (also in the mids and bass), so do yourself a favour and buy some good cables. there's no voodoo about it.

this is for more important for any darker amp, because you need all the highend you can possibly retrain.
and even if you plug straight into the amp a good cable will make a difference. same for the speaker
cable and patch cables.

i suggest using a buffer pedal for longer cable runs. it's easy: if i run the amp with 6 effects and a bunch of longer cables and there's no buffer, i loose so much highend, that my guitar sounds like crap when it's plugged into an already darker amp. if i activate my buffer and not too dark.

other imporant factory are the speakers. there are bright ones and dark ones. you could try a brighter

another thing you can try is changing the pre and powertubes. get something brighter like tung sol or eh in the pre for example.

greetings,

tesla

ahhh mumbo jumbo for the most part. I do think there is a diff between the basic cables you find with the case and stuff. But my Fulltone or Dimarzio cable compared to a Yorkville sound cable is an incredibly minimal difference. Even measured for resistance you find such a minimal difference that the difference in tone is only distinguishable in your head (we tried this at the shop, .02 diff in resistance between the Fulltone and a Yorkville sound cable, both 15 meter variety)

But Orange amps are naturally dark. It is how they are voiced from the factory. Which is why they sound so awesome with Tele's! But compare an AD30 to an AC30 and you will soon see how dark the Orange really is. Which is why I loved running them in stereo! :twisted:
I keep wanting to get one, but the dark voicing stops me each time, its nothing to do with pedals or cables, as I can get a wonderful jangle with my rig and current amps. I have a crush though which I love to pump a nice fat synth through.

Currently I run an AC30 and a Deluxe Reverb, but they may go if the new Thunderverb 30 if its my cuppa tea.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:27 am

i've got an orange r30 combo + greenback loaded ppc112...

but i have hardly used it since getting my 1983 50w marshall 4104 combo... it's the sound i had always been searching for

the r30 weighs less though - so it gets points for thet :)
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:29 am

PopnFresh wrote:
Wired wrote:

for example.

cable and patch cables.

greetings,

tesla

I keep wanting to get one, but the dark voicing stops me each time, its nothing to do with pedals or cables, as I can get a wonderful jangle with my rig and current amps. I have a crush though which I love to pump a nice fat synth through.

Currently I run an AC30 and a Deluxe Reverb, but they may go if the new Thunderverb 30 if its my cuppa tea.
well might be taste to some degree.

i like bright and dark amps.
i mainly play sludgy rock, i don't need much brightness at all.
im more after a stoner overdrive and crunch tones!
accept darkness.

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:34 am

Wired wrote:

for example.

cable and patch cables.

greetings,

tesla

ahhh mumbo jumbo for the most part.
+1 The difference in cable plays no significant part. The length of the cable does, but it's still negligible (provided you're not playing guitar from the downstairs bar...)

I don't own an Orange anymore. I had a Tiny Terror and a PPC112 for a while, then a Rocker 30 I borrowed from a friend. Didn't get on with the TT unfortunately. I loved the R30 but can't afford one right now. I do however have an orange coloured Mesa/Boogie DC-5 ;)
Josh

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:46 pm

to the culprit: you suck :lol:
get with the program!
just kidding, different strokes for different folks. but i for one, wouldn't spend a cent on a bright amp. i have tried a few and always prefer darker stuff with rounded cleans and churning distortion.
Music Man Steve Morse Y2D in C standard with EMGs (85/sa/60)
Music Man Petrucci 7 String w/ Crunchlab & Liquifire
Gibson LP Std in standard tuning w/ emg Hetfield set
Dean 30th Anniv. V. stock
Orange Thunderverb 50 into Kool&Elfring 4x12XL /w v30s

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:47 am

don't say cables do not make a difference ;)
you have to try the evidence lyric hg and you know what i mean!

i own serval good cables and the evidence kills em all.
even the klotz la grange cables sound not as good in comparison.
accept darkness.

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:31 pm

blacklight_uk wrote:
Wired wrote:

for example.

cable and patch cables.

greetings,

tesla

ahhh mumbo jumbo for the most part.
+1 The difference in cable plays no significant part. The length of the cable does, but it's still negligible (provided you're not playing guitar from the downstairs bar...)

I don't own an Orange anymore. I had a Tiny Terror and a PPC112 for a while, then a Rocker 30 I borrowed from a friend. Didn't get on with the TT unfortunately. I loved the R30 but can't afford one right now. I do however have an orange coloured Mesa/Boogie DC-5 ;)
Even experts cant tell the different between expensive cables, and coat hangers in lab conditions:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audi ... cable-and/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:09 pm

the link is about hifi cabels...of course there's a lot of crap in this area but not so for the guitar sector.
imagine many pros use whole sets of these cables for their racks, with one reason: clarity
you can even tell it in a crappy youtube comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VQCw1YrFPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at 3 minutes he switches the cable from a high quality monster
to the evidence audio. compare the clearness, the harmonics and the signal itself.
the evidence even sounds louder because of the frequencies every cable buffers /cuts...
watch it twice.
accept darkness.

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Intresting post.
A lot of people on this forum giving out a lot of advise about amps they don't, or have never owned.
It's like a priest giving advise on marriage....Oh wait.

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 am

Eddie Famine wrote:Intresting post.
A lot of people on this forum giving out a lot of advise about amps they don't, or have never owned.
It's like a priest giving advise on marriage....Oh wait.
Personally I've owned an AC30, a Rocker 30 and a TT combo, didnt really get on with any of them...

bloosman1
Tiny Terror

Post by bloosman1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:05 am

I have an AD30 TC combo, but have no advice to give. I'm confused, no wait, I'm on the wrong thread...my bad, sorry!
---J--- :oops:
I have some stuff to play music with. =)

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 am

ECWeagles wrote:I owned an AD30.

Not anymore.

Why?

Matamp.
Ditto, though I do have a Crush and Micro Crush :)
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:49 pm

not_again wrote:I owned;
AD5
Tiny Terror
AD15
AD30HTC
Rocker 30 Combo
Rocker 30 Head
RV50 Head
OR50 Head

Currently have zero...why?
Unemployment mainly...lol!

You must remember Greg, insanity does run in my family!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mark, that's a real sad story :( :cry: . I'm tempted to start a collection here on the forum to buy you a new one, but then you'd probably sell it :lol: