how do people rate LP copies around here?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

reaper2502
Tiny Terror

how do people rate LP copies around here?

Post by reaper2502 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:02 am

i'm looking out to get a copy les paul plainly because ive got a little spare cash for another guitar and im looking for something i can throw around at gigs and not care too much about.

what do you guys think of tokai and fernandes/burny and all of them other makes

ive been looking at a burny rlg-55 goldtop and they look like pretty good value for moneyy
Rockerverb 50 Mk II

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: how do people rate LP copies around here?

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 am

I've been most impressed with the looks of Tokai and Edwards in terms of quality, but the selection in the US is different so I've only played a Vintage aside from Epiphones.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:16 am

Actually, the more I've looked around I've realized that a used Studio is your best bet really. It's the real thing and you can score a used one in the $700 range, or you could get one of the worn finish ones even cheaper. It'll hold it's value and actually go up if you take decent care of the guitar.

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:49 am

In 1985 I could have filled two sea bags with Tokais and Fender Japan guitars for about $800. Man, what I could get for them now! I wish I was smart :) D'oh. Come to think of it Les Pauls had largely fallen from favor then too.

I'd say, in my experience, the upper end Tokais or Navigators are tied. But they are $4k. Some of my Japanese friends think the Grecos are best. But, in Japan, Gibsons are prized. When I'd talk with the guys at the guitar shops inevitably they'd tell me they owned a Gibson of one flavor or another.

If you want a top end Japanese guitar, it'd be easy to answer. As for the more entry level guitars, I think all of the Japanese made ones should give you a good axe for the money.

My Japanese collector friends consider Nashville made guitars "copies". I own 3 Gibbies and one Tokai BTW.

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:44 am

Approximate budget?

That will help guide suggestions a lot...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:38 am

LP copies are good if you get the right one, and quite often better than the real thing.

I'm assuming budget is less than a real Gibson.

If in the UK, check out Gordon Smith, Vintage, Edwards imports, Bacchus imports, Tokai imports etc... the MIJ guitars are good.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Mety

Post by Mety » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 am

I would recommend an Epiphone Elite or Elitist Les Paul, if you can find one, as they don't make them anymore.
I have an Elite and it is every bit as good as any of my Gibsons.
In fact its my number two guitar after my Custom.
I did change the bridge pickup on it though.

I also imported a new cream coloured Edwards Les Paul Custom from Japan.
It looked great and sounded great but it just didn't seem to have that mojo, it didn't feel like a Les Paul, so I eventually sold it on.
Some people really like them though...
Gibsons: LP Standard (1989), LP Custom (2008), LP 25/50 Anniversary Custom (1978) SG Special Faded (2008)
Marshalls: JMP50 (1974) 2203 (1979) Vintage Modern 2466 (2007) JMD50 (2010)

http://www.sabbatica.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 am

To be fair if it's just for throwing round and gigging, i'd probably just get something cheap and decent and throw some Toneriders in there. You'll get a good sound and you don't have to worry about it too much as it wasn't that pricey.

So in that sense, maybe just find a used Epi or Vintage guitar etc. Cheap and easy.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 am

Nobody's mentioned Heritage - whilst I've never played one I have heard plenty of good feedback on them and of course they're made in the US by people who know what they're doing.I think they go for decent money used. At the other end of the scale, Agile are a great budget instrument in the States, with a lot of advantages over your average Epi or other clones (e.g. proper Grovers as standard).
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

reaper2502
Tiny Terror

Post by reaper2502 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 pm

baytamusic wrote:Actually, the more I've looked around I've realized that a used Studio is your best bet really. It's the real thing and you can score a used one in the $700 range, or you could get one of the worn finish ones even cheaper. It'll hold it's value and actually go up if you take decent care of the guitar.
i've got a studio and although its not that expensive, i just want a backup, incase that breaks down, i'm thinking of buying a burny, because i've heard good things then sticking some new pups in it
Rockerverb 50 Mk II

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:50 pm

reaper2502 wrote:
baytamusic wrote:Actually, the more I've looked around I've realized that a used Studio is your best bet really. It's the real thing and you can score a used one in the $700 range, or you could get one of the worn finish ones even cheaper. It'll hold it's value and actually go up if you take decent care of the guitar.
i've got a studio and although its not that expensive, i just want a backup, incase that breaks down, i'm thinking of buying a burny, because i've heard good things then sticking some new pups in it
Fair enough, but it looks like the Burny's are about the same price new as a used Studio.

ronnes
Tiny Terror

Post by ronnes » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:Nobody's mentioned Heritage - whilst I've never played one I have heard plenty of good feedback on them and of course they're made in the US by people who know what they're doing.I think they go for decent money used. At the other end of the scale, Agile are a great budget instrument in the States, with a lot of advantages over your average Epi or other clones (e.g. proper Grovers as standard).

ive played a lot on a Heritage LP. they are the real deal. Made in Kalamazoo on the old gibson factory by old gibson employees. in other words a new guitar with the quality from back then. and i say maybe better than most of the new decent gibby´s.

there are two things that comes to mind though...

1. Is the price! its is expensive(same prices as gibson pretty much, but better quality i think)

2. The headstock doesnt suit everybody. some say its hideous others say its just different than you are used to.
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Orange AD200B

Ashdown ABM810

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:12 pm

heritage guitars kick ass

the nicest 335 i've ever played was a heritage 335.

see it is a real gibson, just with a different head stock and a different name

same tools same guys etc

however....i would get a used les paul studio or an orville
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:22 pm

The Nashville-made Gibson are the clones - interesting comment, that would mean the Heritages are the real deal. I have a Heritage semi-hollow body that is the size of a Les Paul. It is an incredible guitar. Their 335s are the current standard. Their 140s and 150s are their Les Pauls. I see them on E-bay for about $1000. Worth every penny. New they should be in the $1400- $1800 range. They are of higher quality than Gibson Custom Shop, where a LP goes for $4K. If you look at the Heritages, try to get the HRW pickups. They are their hand wound PAF-type pickups that are simply incredible.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:26 am

Mety wrote:I would recommend an Epiphone Elite or Elitist Les Paul, if you can find one...
+1
They are awesome, awesome guitars.

I play an old Aria Pro II ('71) and love it. It feels, plays and sounds perfect and it stays in tune for weeks. I don't miss a Gibson.
Pics: