how do people rate LP copies around here?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Re: how do people rate LP copies around here?

Post by GummiTZ » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:06 pm

Edwards LPs are better guitars to any Gibson Studio, IMO.

Someone at a norwegian guitar forum I hang around at brought an Edwards LP and a Gibson R8 Les Paul Custom Shop to the workshop of Øivin Fjeld (the man behind the slightly famous G-Sharp guitar), and Mr. Fjeld examined and compared the guitars. The Edwards was suprisingly close to the Gibson. This being a custom shop Gibson, I would imagine the Edwards could compare favorably to a Gibson LP Standard. And it would eat LP Studios for breakfast.

However, when second hand value comes into play, things change. But forgetting that, get an Edwards.

nmendoza
Tiny Terror

Post by nmendoza » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:09 am

This is probably lower budget than you're looking at, but I just bought a used Agile AL-3000 with a few upgrades off the 'bay for ~$150. Ha. Every reviewer seems to rave about these things, so we'll see.... They're cheap to begin with, but being a no-name brand means they depreciate like crazy so they're really a steal used.... assuming it's serviceable.... I have an '09 Gibson Traditional as well, I'll let you folks know if it stacks up or makes a better paperweight than guitar. If the Agile sucks, my band does occasionally play at a 4th story rooftop bar, I could give it a pretty dramatic death for that price.....

Alan
Orange Hero

Post by Alan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:21 am

I have a 1980 Tokai LS80 - nitro, FEB, 1 piece solid mahogany back and 2 piece solid maple cap as thick as it comes. It blows the socks off any modern standard and gives the custom shop stuff a run for its money. The high-end early Tokais are insanely accurate copies of a late 50s/early 60s LP.

flvinny521

Post by flvinny521 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm also an owner of an Edwards Les Paul copy, I have no complaints about the guitar at all. I think it's a great value and don't see myself ever getting rid of it.

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Right on board with the Edwards. I am really impressed with mine.
Cannot go wrong.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 pm

check out orville by gibson
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

I can recommend Hagstrom their quality is top notch. They also make the only Les Paul copy that I could have been interested in the Super Swede. It's 25.5" scale so it makes playing a lot easier on me. I can't play regular LP style guitars comfortably.

The Select Super Swede is definitely as good or better than a Les Paul Studio. I can't comment on Edwards since I haven't tried them, but I do know they are well loved. So are the 3000 series Agiles. Bang for your buck they may be the best of the bunch.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

double post
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:13 am

I haven't really been impressed by any LP copy so far.

However, I have been very impressed with the feel of the faded/vintage mahogany worn studios they do, which can be had at very reasonable prices.

In tone/bang per buck, they're almost unbeatable.

All other copies I have tried so far were plastic and not feeling great. (vintage, tokai, epiphone).
Whereas those faded/worn gibbies felt alive and responsive.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:46 am

If money is a real issue, the Japanese made ESP Grass Roots is killer!
absolute perfection for very little money. Some of the Michael Kelly's are
very good as well. Just a couple of names I didn't see thrown out....
I own a Grass Roots and it is way better than any Gibson Studio, IMHO....
But of all the clones....I would vote for the Tokai, hands down!
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!

hum-dinger

Post by hum-dinger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:07 am

Not sure if you have decided on what LP copy to go for but I see in your original post you were thinking of a Burny RLG 55.

My guitar is a chinese made RLG60, cost slightly more than the 55 models but with hotter/uncovered SD style pickups.

I paid £450 new and its a great guitar, well made, quality wood and hardware with 60s profile neck. Recently took it to a luthier for a setup and he commented on all of the above, even said that the neck was better than he had seen on some gibsons :P

I am not doubting that the old MIJ models are superior but if you are looking for a budget LP under £500 then Burny is the way to go especially when compared to other MIC Vintage, Epiphones etc

Good luck with finding your new axe! :)