amp predicament

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

indie101

Post by indie101 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:15 am

why hello,

i am in the process of trying to purchase a new amp. i recently bought the orange 4x12 with the greenbacks (warm, vibrant, and bright as can be). needless to say i went on the sterling reputation orange has. i have been trying out their heads and have like what i have heard. the problem is nobody in pennsylvania has an orange and i am restricted to playing orange heads on very, very low volume levels. but in these attempts i have narrowed it to a rockerverb 100 or an ad140htc. i am wondering if you people can lend an opinion a person who plays country/indie rock (i can make a mess, bright eyes,and less eye contact) and indie rock (libertines, bloc party, interpol, razorlight, and the futureheads). if somebody could help me out i would be in debt greatly.

thanks
cam

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:38 am

First off i'd ask do you really need those extra watts? If you mic up at gigs, you could get a Rockerverb 50, or AD30. How much gain do you normally play with? Which of the basic tones of the two amps did you prefer - not how much gain they had?

If you're playing at low levels, you might want to get one of the lower wattage amps anyway.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

retrotone
Orange Master

Post by retrotone » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:44 am

I saw bloc party playing with matching fender devilles I THINK with marshall powerbrakes on them so I would say to go for the AD30 type and not the Rockerverb 50 ( I know that a lot of people like them but I'm not too big of a fan... sorry!) Also I would get the lowest wattage amp you could find. I run sound for some extra dough at a friends bar and It drives me crazy when guitarist walk in with their Peavy 100 watt and say they want "natural distortion" so I end up not being able to mic them and have to crank everybody else to get a good sound level where it's so fu*king loud I jus't can't wait for them to end.
SORRY FOR THE RAMBLING
So to finish on a low note try to find a 30 watt orange believe me I have one and it's still loud as all hell.

littlefred
Rocker

Post by littlefred » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:10 am

+1 to what retrotone said. Sounds like the basic tone you're after would be closer to an AD, and 30 watts will cover most gigs. I've never had my AD30 past 12 o'clock because people just can't handle the volume...
Joe

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:16 am

I think he's referring to the volume he has had to play at music stores...

I'd still put in a plug for an AD30HTC- that's the twin channel head 30 watts. It's really loud and a great sounding amp.

Billy

art_z
Tiny Terror

Post by art_z » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:37 pm

i'm in PA too. Lark St Music in NJ has orange gear you can play. Not sure how far into PA you are, but they are about an hour east of the Delaware off rte 80. they are not open on Saturdays (but are on Sundays). No affiliation with the store, just a happy customer.
www.ambergris.info
Old Tyme Punk Rock

Matamp/Orange
+ Les Paul
-------------
Heaven!

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:49 pm

AD series sounds like what you want...take you pic on the 30 or 140....personal choice. Soul Box Music had some AD30HTC in stock last week

www.souldboxmusic.com
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

indie101

Post by indie101 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br />First off i'd ask do you really need those extra watts? If you mic up at gigs, you could get a Rockerverb 50, or AD30. How much gain do you normally play with? Which of the basic tones of the two amps did you prefer - not how much gain they had?

If you're playing at low levels, you might want to get one of the lower wattage amps anyway.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

indie101

Post by indie101 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:52 am

i did see bloc party playing with devilles live in philly, but i have had terrible luck with fender amps. they sound very very good but i had a deluxe reverb and a ultimate chorus and they kept having techincal problems, as with my marshall (but everybody knows marshalls are made shotty today). i will also probably go with either the ad30htc or a used 1970s overdrive 120 with black tolex i saw at a local little shop in georgia.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:18 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">used 1970s overdrive 120 with black tolex i saw at a local little shop in georgia.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">That sounds tempting. Might just blow 4 greenbacks of course - you'd be safer with a second cab - but if it was a straight choice and I thought I could use an amp that loud I'd be very tempted. Especially if it was original black vinyl (as opposed to orange vinyl painted black). I think those are well cool...

Not putting down the AD30 of course, but the '70s amps were very special.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:53 pm

If the prices are similar, and the OR120 has a master volume, I might go for that.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

trentonvox
Tiny Terror

Post by trentonvox » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:25 pm

yeah im indie/alternative/hardcore/whateva and i had to order my amp from Wadells...which is in PA...but i live in texas and have lived in PA before...try to find their website or give them a call...they gave me a really good deal on a stack, so be sure to check them out...but yeah sounds like you might want to go with the AD, for one: there is a very good clean but not to clean channel which will give you some good lower end sounds for rythms and still sound a bit dirty, then there is the (what i like to call) "funked channel" which gives you a higher end and a LOT more gain channel (which i normally use)...go try one out, set the "funked channel" up with the mids in the middle the treble in the middle and the bass at about 1:30, then set the gain up almost all the way and that will probably give you the exact tone you are looking for...if not then just keep pushing the gain back down until desired...you have now been blessed by sacared TRENTONVOX