Best professional Analog to Digital stereo converter?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Best professional Analog to Digital stereo converter?

Post by Wendigo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 am

Just wondering what the standard of the industry is right now for a 2 channel converter? Tubes, not tubes? It could also be a 16 discrete channel interface. I'm looking to either record directly onto my 2" analog reel to reel (16 channels) and then master onto a Telefunken M 21 analog 1/4" tape mastering machine, an then covert it into two tracks of digital, or to send it straight from the 16 track 2" tape through a 16 channel interface into the pc and master it digitally. I haven't decided yet. Also, what would be some bargain options for such interfaces? A few years ago, I had been looking at an 18 channel MOTU that seemed pretty good, but I assume there are bigger and better by now. I'm really looking for the best tone here above all other considerations.
Thanks.

oddjobpeters

Re: Best professional Analog to Digital stereo converter?

Post by oddjobpeters » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Your best bet would be to ask this question on gearslutz.com. Better yet, simply searching for your answer there will provide you with days of useful reading. There is a TON of pro and amateur recording info there, and lots of it is extremely valuable.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:59 pm

I think if you don't want to waste money I'd keep it all tape and then transfer the mastered stereo tracks to the computer in the very end to make your mp3s. You could probably have someone convert the 1/2" tape to wav files for you for next to nothing if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

btw Wish I had your set up! I'm in the process of trying to find some tape machines on the cheap. I may just go 8 track 1/2". The Otari machines can be had for like nothing these days.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:55 am

Actually the Otari ones are kinda expensive from what I've seen...the 2" ones are into the thousands of euros.

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:00 am

Yeah, me too. I've seen them sell for quite a bit. A buddy of mine picked one up and spent a lot on a complete refurb. He captures tracks on tape and brings them into digital to edit them. He's got a great studio in the middle of nowhere! :) And he's so busy he isn't cutting me any deals! :D

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

oddjobpeters

Post by oddjobpeters » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm

If you are staying analog all the way through to mastering, I would recommend getting a Korg MR1000 or MR2000. They are 1-bit stereo recorders. You can convert to any digital format after via software only, no expensive ADC's required. Search them on Gearslutz, a number of people use them and swear by them for final master and distribution. I got an MR1000 b-stock and saved a bundle. Great little machines, though I use mine for stereo recording instead of mastering.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:56 pm

I actually found a Soundcraft 760 2" 24 track with remote and alignment tape that the guy is willing to deliver to deliver to me for $750. I guess it's been covered in storage for 10 years but was in full service before that and had been maintained well when in use. I'm debating whether to buy it. I'm scared of repair costs and part availability for that thing as they aren't very common. I'm not sure about the situation. The guy sounds very honest.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:36 pm

For A/D converters I have had good success with MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn), but most of their stuff is in 8 track increments. Don't know if they have a two channel unit.

I also use a cheap ($35) converter that plugs into a USB that works okay. I wonder at what price point can you actually hear the difference?
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Borderline Productions wrote: I wonder at what price point can you actually hear the difference?
Very good question...

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:10 am

Totally depends on your budget as to whether you'll hear a major difference or not. As long as your room is up to scratch you should notice a slight increase in clarity with a mid-priced ADC. I have an RME ADI-2 that I upgraded to from an Mbox 2. The RME sounds noticeably clearer, less "foggy" but it's not a huge leap.

Current industry leaders would be either the Lynx Aurora, Lavry Gold or Apogee Rosetta series. Expensive as hell though and since I've never used either of them I couldn't tell you the difference...

I've never heard of or seen a valve converter in use. Not sure I'd want one...I like my converters to tell me exactly what's going on. There are transformer based units out there though if that's your thing, the Burl B2 for instance.
Josh

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:20 pm

I have a Korg MR1000 & it rocks.
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫