SHO paint design

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: SHO paint design

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 pm

For the most professional and durable result I'd suggest a base coat of white automotive spray paint, print the design on some water slide decal paper, then finish with a matte clear varnish spray.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Yeah what Le Chat Noir just said.

I dunno how you're going to spray paint the words/labels, but I've spraypainted words/symbols through a stencil I made before (pedals in sig were done this way) and it's pretty difficult to get it to turn out well- especially when you're dealing with super small font. Since it's one of the last steps in the process it totally sucks when it goes wrong and you have to fix it/start over.

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:16 pm

try to find "waterslide decals" ... thats the way i do my pedals...

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:40 pm

almost finished it i still need to do the wording and signs but they can be done last

theres a bits that need re-spraying but so far so good
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 pm

hiho

looks like your layers of paint are way to thick... dont spray everything in one shot... spray thinner layers let them dry then spray again and it will get way smoother and without "noses" ... if you "mask" things... put the tapes a few times on you shirt, otherwise they may peel the not hardend paint of again because its way to adhesive... a few more tries and you will be a pro...

maybe sand it off once again, if not you will be unsatisfied in the futre because you could have done better...

but not bad for a first try...

Geosh
Tiny Terror

Post by Geosh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:34 pm

You might want to still consider doing the graphics as a sticker or water-slide logo as well. I did a couple with white backed label paper and then clear coated over everything. I was able to get very good looking graphics and text without having to worry about anything other than the base color and the clear coats. The pic isn't the best, as it was with my camera phone. It looks a lot "crisper" in person.

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 am

thanks, i think i might have to as it looks like its going to be tricky to get a template that small
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:44 pm

The whole making a template with an exacto knife and clear, sticky contact paper stuff (seems what was done here) is really difficult to get clean edges for designs. Thin coats is the key. Doing small words is so hard, too. Also, you'll have a lot of problems trying to spraypaint on spraypaint....

From now on I'm doing the whole printing waterslide decal method. Here's some of my efforts with spraypaint (sorry for the shameless spam):

Tyrannosaurus f/x (true bypass f/x loop with feedback switch)

Germ Fuzz (germanium fuzz)

MXR distortion+ modded clone