Help me fill my pedal board.....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:16 am

So I don't have much in the way of pedals other than my Vox Wah, EH memory man, and MXR Phase 90 nowadays. I'm trying to get a good assortment going though so I can expand my sonic vocabulary. I want to get a:

1-univibe type pedal for a really strong Hendrix mahine gun type sound.

2-a tremelo for everything from 50s style stuff to Rage Against the Machine type wierd noises.

3-I'm probably going to get a giga delay or a loopstation -- what's the difference between these two pedals?

4-I'm thinking about an Analogman sunface for Fuzz sounds...anybody got any better suggestions?

5-a Fulltone Fatboost just because.

6-something like a Digitech Whammy Wah.

7-maybe a boutique pedal or two just for good measure? Any suggestions on this...sorry for being general but I'm pen to anything.

8-A distortion pedal -- I need a really brutal distortion that is different from my RV's dirty channel but still heavy, thick, and capable of really high gain stuff. I reallydislike DS-1s too so I wa thinking about looking into a Tonebone or something.

9-beano boost?

10-possibly a Fulltone choralflange.

11-an eq-- I've seen te MXR and Boss ones. What else is on the market?

What do you think?

Chris

orangenoise
Orange Expert

Post by orangenoise » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:28 am

Wow! Quite a laundry list there Chris. To start, I'm selling a couple of pedals right now. One you might be interested in is the Sweetsound Ultra-Vibe. It is considered the best Univibe clone in recent production and is not made anymore. It <b>will</b> nail that "Machine Gun" sound you're looking for. Check it at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1. Yikes... two SPAMS in one evening. I'm sorry guys... but he's asking for it. Anyways, moving on...

There are a lot of trems out there to try. I've been using the Fulltone Supatrem and its nice. I would like a tap-tempo feature though. The new Line6 ToneCore pedal has this ability.

For fuzz the MJM King of the Britains is pretty sweet.

Run, not walk, run away from the whammy wah. Sorry, can't stand those things.

Last comment is on the ChoralFlange... its a decent pedal to be sure. But I've heard better chorus pedals. It sounds a little metalic for my tastes. I only have it for sentimental reasons (first pedal purchase). To be honest I don't really use a chorus sound all that much. So maybe one day I'll come to my senses and sell it.

-Rob
-<font color="orange"><b>orangenoise</b></font id="orange">

http://www.myspace.com/orangenoise

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by orangenoise</i>
<br />Wow! Quite a laundry list there Chris. To start, I'm selling a couple of pedals right now. One you might be interested in is the Sweetsound Ultra-Vibe. It is considered the best Univibe clone in recent production and is not made anymore. It <b>will</b> nail that "Machine Gun" sound you're looking for. Check it at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1. Yikes... two SPAMS in one evening. I'm sorry guys... but he's asking for it. Anyways, moving on...

There are a lot of trems out there to try. I've been using the Fulltone Supatrem and its nice. I would like a tap-tempo feature though. The new Line6 ToneCore pedal has this ability.

For fuzz the MJM King of the Britains is pretty sweet.

Run, not walk, run away from the whammy wah. Sorry, can't stand those things.

Last comment is on the ChoralFlange... its a decent pedal to be sure. But I've heard better chorus pedals. It sounds a little metalic for my tastes. I only have it for sentimental reasons (first pedal purchase). To be honest I don't really use a chorus sound all that much. So maybe one day I'll come to my senses and sell it.

-Rob
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks Rob -- I've read about the sweetsound before and everybody sees to love it so I might just take you up on that.LOL

Chris

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:10 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">4-I'm thinking about an Analogman sunface for Fuzz sounds...anybody got any better suggestions?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<br />
Yes, I do. Get the Sun lion instead, it is the sunface combined with the Beano Boost.
http://www.analogman.com/manuals/sunlion.doc

I am missing something in your "future" setup though. A compressor.
Check out Analogmans Comprossor, Juicier, Bi-Compressor or Robert Keeley's Keeley compressor if this interests you.
Remember that the Large Bi-Compressor has a one year's waiting list though.

Otherwise it sounds like your filling your pedalboard with ALOT of pedals. Do you really need that much?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:26 am

If you're looking for a compressor, try the Aphex Punch Factory Optical Compressor- it's the best on the market IMHO. You never hear any breathing like you do with the others.

That said, I'm really glad I use a Replifex and my midi footcontroller because I would hate to have to deal with this...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:41 am

You can never have too many pedals. Make sure you try the fuzzes with your amp first. Not everyone seems to like them.

I'd also suggest a good mid-gain overdrive pedal that'll give you a bit of a different sound. I personally wouldn't go for an EQ pedal... i've only used the Boss and the Ibanez (analogue) ones, and they were unacceptably noisy. Like REALLY noisy.

For trems, try a Fulltone Supatrem. They're consistently mentioned as being very good. An excellent cheaper choice in the EHX Pulsar. It doesn't have the half speed switch but nonetheless, they're great trems too.

Distortions... oh man. Loads of them. Depends what you're after though... Fulltone have a whole range of good ones. Distortion pro through to the more fuzz like distortions like the '69 and '70.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

littlefred
Rocker

Post by littlefred » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:52 pm

I've just got a BJF Candy Apple Fuzz, going to try it w/ my AD30 in a couple of days, then I'll post the results here. It's one wild pedal! :o)Also, I've tried a couple of boosts and can recommend the Zvex Super Duper 2 in 1, it was better than the BJF and Keeley Time Machine pedals I tried.
Joe

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:00 pm

Have you done the R28 mod to your Phase 90 yet?
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

littlefred
Rocker

Post by littlefred » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:17 pm

Oh yeah, and check out a Tremulus from 4ms pedals, they can put all the mods you want on them. Total tremolo control!
Joe

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:54 pm

Orphin -- I just thought about all the cool pedals I've looked at for the last few years and put them into a list.8)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Knuckle Bones</i>
<br />Have you done the R28 mod to your Phase 90 yet?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

What is the R28 mod? Where's a good place to have it done?

Also can I get a true bypass done on my Vox Wah + a 9v AC adapter connection put in?

Chris

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:11 pm

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledi ... z/wah.html

I'm sure I saw a 9v mod as well somewhere, but can't remember where.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

CTC
Orange Expert

Post by CTC » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:17 pm

For the R28 mod for the MXR 90(which I am going to do myself) I found this...

"To make your reissue MXR Phase 90 sound more like the old script logo version, you can remove the feedback resistor, R28 (24K). This will make it more like the classic script version and pretty much eliminate the distorted mid-boost. If this is not enough, then remove C11 and C12, this mod will remove the pre and de-emphasis (noise filtering)."

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:04 pm

Chris -

I like anything that says "Zvex" on it! If you want different/weird/cool, try the Trem Seek, Ooh Wah, and Lo-Fi Loop Junky. The latter two will be making an appearance in my rig shortly, along with an MXR EVH phase pedal. Currently residing in my rig are a Boss TU2, an SIB Mr. Echo and my Digitech Whammy II. I have a Keely modded DS-1, which has sat on the shelf since I got my RV50H.

I don't think I can be accused of copying anybody elses rig! ;)
Greg

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:12 pm

for the univibe id get the voodoo labs micro vibe, i wanna get one someday.....:|
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

CreepingCruds
Tiny Terror

Post by CreepingCruds » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:10 pm

For an OUTSTANDING Overdrive/distortion that doesn't damage your Orange tone I highly recommend the Keeley Fat Mod Blues Driver. You can get anywhere from real hairy OD to just a bit of front end snap.. Super sweet.