let's talk about fuzz

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Van Cleef
Orange Master

let's talk about fuzz

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:13 am

ok

aside from the da moaf - (which is on the list of stompers to try if i can find one teddy )

what fuzzes are y'all using?

i am using a little big muff - I LOVE IT particularly for the les paul neck pickup fat violin lead sound

but it gets lost in the mix - especially with hammonds and things - the freqs are too similar or something i dunno... it sounds superb when i am jamming solo

i think i am a germanium fan as far as fuzzes go - i would love to try a fulltone 69 but they are rare and expensive... i would also like to know what people think of the swollen pickle mark II

so please talk to me about what fuzz you use and why it works for you and if you have any recommendations for that violin thing i'm talking about - hit me up with some names

cheers orange people
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: let's talk about fuzz

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:28 am

I think the main thing I hate about, for example, the NYC Big Muff is when you kick it in it cuts your mids a lot - this definitely contributes to that 'lost in the mix' thing you mentioned. You should definitely explore Muff variants that have a mids knob - the Barber Trifecta is another good one, I liked that a lot too. I believe there is a simple mod to add a mids switch to alter the tone stack on regular Muffs.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 am

i found that most fuzzes don't work very well with my old Overdrive 120, but i still use my EHX Little Big Muff too (even if its modded to russian big muff specs)

sometimes i try my fuzzumore (somekind of fuzzface+69" modded fuzz conglomerate) i like the more or less "vintage" sound of it...

but i REALLY LOVE my new Scarface Pedal... its a modded BAZZ FUSS... thats the first pedal that works well with my orange... the most fuzzes put some kind of carpet over my sound...this one clears it up even if it was designed for bass i love it with guitar... and its only 10 parts on a pcb... good sound can be so simple...

_Craig_
Orange Hero

Post by _Craig_ » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Im still loving the Fuzz Factory. Plenty of fuzz on tap, but surprisingly good note separation when run with a clean boost.

Craig.

BLS
Rocker

Post by BLS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz
Red Witch Fuzz God II
BMF Effects Aries Fuzz
Frantone Peach Fuzz
Devi Ever Aenima
Devi Ever US Fuzz
Barber Trifecta fuzz

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm using a big Muff clone I built many years ago, as well as a Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz.

I find that the Big Muff's secret is to crank it higher than you'd think you'd ever need to, and it doesn't get lost (it also knocks the audience front row's teeth out, but I enjoy that anyhow ;))

Sam_from_Texas
Tiny Terror

Post by Sam_from_Texas » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm a college student that is still trying to figure out my pedal preferences. As of a few days ago I'm using a Vexter (sp?) Zvex Fuzz Factory. I found it used at a shop for about $130USD and figured I'd give it a go. Let me tell you, in 8 years of playing I have never had a piece of equipment that put a bigger smile on my face. This thing is just plain FUN. Yes, it can be complicated. But it's a fun little box. There's also a big thread on the Zvex site with some settings.

PS- I'm playing it with a Fender American Tele w/ some Rio Grande (Texas company) pickups through a Dual Terror with a 2x12 Avatar with one G12H30 and one Vintage 30.

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:55 pm

i just got a fuzz factory and after a lot of internet searching and personal tweaking i've found some great tones in it.

you can get really traditional 60s fuzz sounds ( think link wray's rumble) and really wild fuzz too like matt from muses' squealy fuzz
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm running a black arts pharoah. Very transparent and versatile. Gonna slam it into my OR 120 at rehearsal tonight.
http://www.myspace.com/blackartspedals

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 am

My experience:

American Big Muff - BIG sound, total mush, totally useless unless used w/ a relatively clean amp.

Red early 2000's Dunlop Fuzz Face - complete POS. Period.

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face - Awesome! Does the violin very well. Works fantastic w/ boost pedals. Also, when paired w/ the Big Muff it's like they balance each other out! Very big, yet cutting enough that it's not total mush. Highly recomended. Again, works better w/ relatively clean amp (which seems to be the rule w/ fuzz pedals IMO). I plan on buying another one to re-package for my board.

Sub-Decay Flying Tomato - Supposedly works w/ any pups, pedal combination, dirty / clean amp etc. Not true. Good pedal, but a little mushy and only works on clean amp. Almost like a Fuzz Factory.

Fuzzfaceless - Awesome fuzz. a little cleanish, but definitely worth the price of admission. Flawless work and very cool looking to boot. Not as big sounding as some of the others but I don't think that's what he was going for. More of a Ziggy Stardust fuzz.

Barber Trifecta - This one is one my board. This one works even w/ a saturated RV50. Think 'Woman Tone'. very flexible and works well w/ HB's and single coils.

General fuzz rules I have learned:

1. Most work best w/ a relatively clean amp.

2. Most work best w/ single coils.

3. Good ones work great w/ boost pedals (ie, Beano Boost, treble boosts, Bad Bob boost, Micro Amp, etc).

4. Germanium although highly touted, is temperamental and provides a lower, cleaner type of fuzz than silicon. Also, germanium doesn't play well w/ other pedals. Nor do they like wall warts.

5. Jimi Hendrix used both types (germanium AND silicon w/ equal success).

6. Billy Gibbons can achieve the NASTIEST (in a good way) fuzz ever heard by human ears. It's rumoured that he chains more than one together (which follows my Big Muff / Fuzz Face theory, see above).

7. Fuzz pedals are like crack for guitarists, travel at your own risk.

8. D*A*M pedals are probably the coolest fuzzes in recent years. Of course they are discontinued and cost ONE THOUSAND dollars each. Don't get me started...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 am

musket fuzz looks/sounds great - like a super tweakable multi-muff

and they're pretty well priced...

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:01 am

Do you put your boost after the fuzz or before?

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:03 am

the boost is off my board at the moment - i might have a bit of a play each way - i also might try using the timmy as a boost...

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:09 am

I use my own home built germanium fuzz (called the germ fuzz- the 'fuzz' pot is wired backwards and labeled 'meds', and the volume knob is 'barf' :lol: ) seen below in my sig. It's more or less a fuzz face clone but with a couple variations to help it play well with my gear :D

I'd like a little big muff, or nano muff, or regular muff, too. Maybe I'll build one but probably I'll juts get a cheap one on craigslist after I try them all out. I'd pick up a fulltone '69 if the price was right :wink:

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:28 am

blackcloud45 wrote:My experience:

American Big Muff - BIG sound, total mush, totally useless unless used w/ a relatively clean amp.

Red early 2000's Dunlop Fuzz Face - complete POS. Period.

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face - Awesome! Does the violin very well. Works fantastic w/ boost pedals. Also, when paired w/ the Big Muff it's like they balance each other out! Very big, yet cutting enough that it's not total mush. Highly recomended. Again, works better w/ relatively clean amp (which seems to be the rule w/ fuzz pedals IMO). I plan on buying another one to re-package for my board.

Sub-Decay Flying Tomato - Supposedly works w/ any pups, pedal combination, dirty / clean amp etc. Not true. Good pedal, but a little mushy and only works on clean amp. Almost like a Fuzz Factory.

Fuzzfaceless - Awesome fuzz. a little cleanish, but definitely worth the price of admission. Flawless work and very cool looking to boot. Not as big sounding as some of the others but I don't think that's what he was going for. More of a Ziggy Stardust fuzz.

Barber Trifecta - This one is one my board. This one works even w/ a saturated RV50. Think 'Woman Tone'. very flexible and works well w/ HB's and single coils.

General fuzz rules I have learned:

1. Most work best w/ a relatively clean amp.

2. Most work best w/ single coils.

3. Good ones work great w/ boost pedals (ie, Beano Boost, treble boosts, Bad Bob boost, Micro Amp, etc).

4. Germanium although highly touted, is temperamental and provides a lower, cleaner type of fuzz than silicon. Also, germanium doesn't play well w/ other pedals. Nor do they like wall warts.

5. Jimi Hendrix used both types (germanium AND silicon w/ equal success).

6. Billy Gibbons can achieve the NASTIEST (in a good way) fuzz ever heard by human ears. It's rumoured that he chains more than one together (which follows my Big Muff / Fuzz Face theory, see above).

7. Fuzz pedals are like crack for guitarists, travel at your own risk.

8. D*A*M pedals are probably the coolest fuzzes in recent years. Of course they are discontinued and cost ONE THOUSAND dollars each. Don't get me started...

great post BC - and yes - i prefer the muff on the low gain channel of the marshall