Rockerverb MkII Combo Review

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jahugga

Rockerverb MkII Combo Review

Post by jahugga » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey all,
Thought I'd give a quick review of the new Rockerverb MkII 1x12 combo.

First, the look is clean. Easy to tweak and adjust knobs. It weighs in at a beefy 70 lbs. No side handles or casters, which would be nice, but not bad picking up for transport.

I first played the clean channel. I found the best way to find your clean sound was to turn the volume up half way, with all the other knobs turned down, and then adjust knob by knob until I found the sound I liked. For me, I kept the bass and mid pretty low and mainly tweaked the treble to a desired level. I felt the clean was more than adequate with the humbucker loaded gibson I was playing. Granted this amp is best suited to be rocked not jazzed, so if you're looking for more clean than scream this may not be the amp for you. Note, different guitars and pickup's are going to change the dynamics of the sound you achieve. I did use both valve setting for this channel and found the default setting (EL34) to be the cleanest. Reverb was robust and springy and a little goes a long way with this amp. Overall, I give the clean 3 out of 5 stars, it delivers.

Where the Rockerverb shines is where it should - cranked up and screaming. The gain is pure and smooth. Very retro rock feeling. Great sustain and natural feedback, it does it all very well. The Rockerverb 1x12 Combo was really fun to play. Lots of musical tone and even though I liked the default valve setting better, the KT88 setting was cool too, you could almost see the sweat coming from the amp, definitely worth playing with.
For me, this amp wants to be played hard. It's most at home playing rock and blues or anyone seeking old school distortion. It's nice to have it all in a compact package and a great studio amp to have in the arsenal. The Dirty Channel gets 5 out of 5, it does what it should extremely well.

Hope this was useful......huggy bear

Back of the amp inputs: one 16 and two 8 ohm speaker inputs
Reverb, Return, Channel and Send inputs/switches
2 output valve selections

Picture of amp and video:
http://www.orangeampstore.com/products/ ... I-112.html