AD50 blowing fuse - What was actually wrong

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

AD50 blowing fuse - What was actually wrong

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:17 am

So, my AD50 blew a fuse after 3 hours of playing the first time I used it. I thought it was probably the power tubes because they were six years old. I went to a tech and we tested all the tubes. Power tubes still tested very strong. One of the preamp tubes was weak. We experimented with some preamp tubes because the amp sounded very muddy. We tried JJs and some others. The tubes that sounded the best were some Chinese 12ax7 B tubes. They don't have a brand on them I don't think. I believe he said they are Shuguang. This guy was a total tube nerd. He said these are his "magic" secret weapon tubes. He commented they have to say B on them to be the right ones. I have no idea what the deal is, but they sounded way better than any of the others we tried. Took the mud right out.

Now as far as the fuse blowing, it was most likely because I didn't wait long enough to switch the amp over from class A to class AB after turning it off. He said wait AT LEAST 30 seconds, absolute minimum. Also, I was advised to turn the amp power off only and not to switch it to standby before turning it off. Something about draining the caps correctly so they last longer. Just thought I'd share.

Funny some Chinese tubes made the amp sound good. I'll have to experiment with some of the tubes I have at the studio too and see how they stack up to each other. I think a lot of modern tubes are actually just relabeled Chinese ones or something. Who knows. Whatever works.

hooty

Re: AD50 blowing fuse - What was actually wrong

Post by hooty » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:01 am

baytamusic wrote:Now as far as the fuse blowing, it was most likely because I didn't wait long enough to switch the amp over from class A to class AB after turning it off. He said wait AT LEAST 30 seconds, absolute minimum. Also, I was advised to turn the amp power off only and not to switch it to standby before turning it off. Something about draining the caps correctly so they last longer. Just thought I'd share.
Hi,

I have no problems with that with my Retro 50. I am just curious...

Cheers,
hooty

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:57 am

I do the switch the amp off without going to standby thing also...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

aeiouy

Post by aeiouy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:29 am

My Retro 50 works perfectly in class A mode. I never had any
problems. Very reliable .
JM
RETRO 50H (with 2x12 Bulldog celestion gold alnico)
OR50H custom anniversary
LESPAUL 59 MURPHY
SG 62 custom shop

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:07 pm

We were just discussing "how to turn your amp off" in the tech forum.

Seems there are a lot of myths on this one.

I have heard the same thing your tech said, but I've also heard that if you don't go to standby first and wait for the amp to stop making noise, you run the risk of cathode stripping.

I couldn't tell you which way is the right way... perhaps someone with a little more knowledge can help explain.
- Nathan

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:32 pm

nguideau wrote:We were just discussing "how to turn your amp off" in the tech forum.

Seems there are a lot of myths on this one.

I have heard the same thing your tech said, but I've also heard that if you don't go to standby first and wait for the amp to stop making noise, you run the risk of cathode stripping.

I couldn't tell you which way is the right way... perhaps someone with a little more knowledge can help explain.
Well, this guy has been an amp tech for 25 years, so that's enough knowledge for me. :)

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:36 pm

hooty wrote:
baytamusic wrote:Now as far as the fuse blowing, it was most likely because I didn't wait long enough to switch the amp over from class A to class AB after turning it off. He said wait AT LEAST 30 seconds, absolute minimum. Also, I was advised to turn the amp power off only and not to switch it to standby before turning it off. Something about draining the caps correctly so they last longer. Just thought I'd share.
Hi,

I have no problems with that with my Retro 50. I am just curious...

Cheers,
hooty
Don't really know what to tell you. He just said the fuse may have blown because I wasn't waiting long enough to switch back and forth when I turned it off.

timboardman
Orange Expert

Post by timboardman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:50 pm

I think there is a real discrepancy between what you *should* do, and what you can get away with doing.

I have flown guitars without slacking off the strings (accidentally!), I have switched all manner of things in ways I shouldn't, and so far have got away with it.

One of the things I have learnt with working instruments for a few years now, is that they are temperamental. We had an old Selmer out with Supergrass, and it was known to be hassle from time to time. Of course, this amp gets baby treatment, which on others you wouldn't have to.

I am surprised by your AD50 acting like this. Of all current major-brand amps, I considered the AD50 and the Retro 50 a pair of the more 'indestructible': Good quality parts and labour, oversize transformers etc. I know my Retro feels pretty much bullet proof, so I am surprised that the AD50 is susceptible to these problems. As others have said - I've done the A-AB game, the no Standby game and come out fine.

Have you spoken to Ade about this one? I would be interested to hear his thoughts.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm going to see if it happens again. If it does I'll first take it to Schroeder Guitar & Amp Repair here and see what they have to say about. Tim Schroeder is a very well known tech and luthier. They build amps for Wilco and Nels cline. I try to avoid their shop because they are expensive. If they don't seem to know what the deal is I'll contact Orange about it.