Feeling musically blue...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Re: Feeling musically blue...

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Thu May 20, 2010 5:21 am

Look at the guitar as a percussion instrument. Try different rhythms that make you uncomfortable or awkward. After a while these "awkward" rhythms will feel natural. The more I've done this the more groovy my playing has become.

Also, play different instruments. Try percussion: shakers, bongos, etc. This won't necessarily cure your "musical blues" but the point is to take the focus of your mind to a different place. It's about playing the music you enjoy, not about having a right ol' pity party. That's why they call it "playing" music, it's suppose to be fun.
Last edited by gabrielstigmatic on Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/gabriellongmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We’re all becoming fluent in arbitrary tongues
That never got the message through in the first place
As if anyone knew, knew in the first place
Not in the first place

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 am

I find that it IS the show that gets rid of da blues. I have been funked on many occasions, even right through setup and sound check.

But once those first sweet sounds from the R30 bless my ears, the bass and drums kick in and the girl starts singing and the crowd start smiling and dancing, then the joy comes back to me and I realise 'Hey, I am out here doing it, with a tight band, making good music to good people for pitiful money....it doesnt get much better 'n that!'

Somehow, the musical blues just blow away like so much mist.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 pm

i just do other stuff. while i wish i could play, i just do other stuff until i get called back. if you have a gig, you're going to be just fine!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu May 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Honestly, I don't really ever get bored of playing music.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 21, 2010 12:09 am

sometimes if we have a weeknight practice and i've been at work all day i do have a bit of a CBF moment - but then when the lads turn up and we open a beer and get the amps warmed up i'm like 'thank god i'm doing this'
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri May 21, 2010 2:44 am

Play something the twins would enjoy. Think of it from the perspective of a small child that sees the joy in music. Play some silly songs.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;