So Sensitive

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: So Sensitive

Post by baytamusic » Fri May 21, 2010 12:15 am

Le Chat Noir wrote:
baytamusic wrote:I've always wanted to hire a booking agent in past bands, never wanted to pay for it. :mrgreen:

We used to just do the best we could doing it ourselves. It gets easier the more times you go out since you make contacts. I haven't toured in 8 years though. The internet is much better now.
I don't know how it works Stateside, but here it is actually illegal for legit booking agents to charge money up front - they are only allowed to operate on a percentage of fee basis.

We only talked to one bunch in the States, who wanted something like 3 grand up front to organise a tour! Of course, over here we just use booking agents to organise the shows and do all the gear/accommodation booking and such ourselves - these guys were a full-on PR company too and wanted to help us with promotion, gear hire etc. Still, that's 3 grand we don't have :( I'm quite happy doing it ourselves over here, but for an organised US tour we'd need someone who knows the scene over there to help us out!

Thanks for the link Wendigo, will check it out.
From my knowledge, the really good booking agents that work for a lot of the bigger indie labels and have all the good relationships won't just book for any band. They usually want a band that will definitely make them some money and I don't think they charge upfront. Unknown bands are usually stuck with the pay before they work for you guys.

That being said, one of my buddies is in a band on Matador Records and he said what really helped them get big was a publicist. My advice would be to book the best shows you can by yourself, and hire a publicist to get you some hype in the respective cities before you play there. They'll get you in the local publications and maybe some radio play on the indie labels there, among who knows what else. Obviously the internet plays a huge roll in promotions these days as well. That's our game plan when we get our stuff rolling.

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 am

Neiloler wrote:I just make a point of hating everyone on here equally, and taking equal offense at EVERY thing said on here.

Makes life easier. :)
It's best to take an instant dislike to some people, it
saves time........... :wink:

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Fri May 21, 2010 1:33 pm

i figure that i'm just BETTER than all of you. so i don't get sensitive or offended. you're ALL wrong, so i've got no problem...
:lol:
:roll:

oh wait. sorry. that's over on TGP.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Fri May 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Paint it blue 4 soul.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri May 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I know you are, but what am I?

Dunky
Orange Expert

Post by Dunky » Fri May 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Bluz57 wrote:Image

Glad to see you back (unless i missed some posts). Is that tele still as sweet?
Ps didn't realise that the ? Peewee picture would carry over.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat May 22, 2010 12:23 am

((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

Bluz57
Prince of Orange

Post by Bluz57 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:42 am

neonrust wrote:Image
I love it Andy! Old Tee Tee was the $hitz wasn't he?
Paint it blue 4 soul.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sat May 22, 2010 12:46 am

Bluz57 wrote:I love it Andy! Old Tee Tee was the $hitz wasn't he?
TEE TEE was da man!!!haha. Still can't believe I bought that suit for 8 bucks. :mrgreen:
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))